National Guard Not Welcome This Time At San Francisco LGBT Pride Weekend; Chelsea Manning Is

From CBS San Francisco:

Organizers of San Francisco’s pride weekend festivities have yanked the welcome mat away from the National Guard, voting to ban the Guard from setting up a booth at the festival.
The decision comes at the same time Pride organizers are allowing a controversial Army private who leaked military secrets to be honorary grand marshal.
The board of the San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration Committee rejected a request from the Guard to set up an informational booth at Civic Center Plaza during Pride Weekend.
Last year, the National Guard had a booth at Pride Weekend for the first time – staffed by gay soldiers – following the repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy. The Guard was also welcomed at Pride events in Los Angeles and San Diego.

Apparently, they are not welcome because the military has a ban on “transgender” soldiers.

Of course, we all know that the military is going to lift the ban on “transgender” soldiers before the end of the Obama Administration.

So I wonder what excuse the SF “Pride” people will use then?

(Please note, I am not making a statement along the lines of, they will no longer have an excuse. There will be something else. I just wonder what it will be)

The article states that last year the San Francisco Pride leadership had the National Guard booth, which was manned by gay soldiers for the purpose of recruiting more gays in the military. Therefore, it is not necessarily to their benefit to exclude the National Guard; but apparently military policy toward transgendered people as well as other issues, such as sexual assault, are indeed some of the reasons. However, as the article notes, this decision is to be reconsidered, particularly for next year. Further, the gay community and leadership are not uniformly in favor of the ban. Finally, Chelsea Manning–whose name had been Bradley Manning–was invited to be Grand Marshal of the parade last year and then dropped. It seems that the politics of the San Francisco Pride Parade is more complicated than meets the eye.

Isn’t Manning in prison? Or was there a quiet release?

Who knows? Maybe the National Guard is quite happy not to go.

I also thought Bradley Manning was still in prison and supposed to be there for many years.

I was also under the impression that Bradley Manning was still in prison.

I love these groups that scream for ‘inclusiveness’, but then ‘exclude’ people from their events because they don’t agree with them. :confused:

That is the very nature of being “liberal” minded and “inclusive:”

Agree with us or we’ll kill you.

Yes, the news article written by the Bay Area Reporter mentions there were several objections to the National Guard. Its non-inclusion of transgender individuals was just one factor.

The ban on transgender service members played into the board’s decision, said Pride Executive Director George Ridgely, adding that so did other issues members have with the military, such as its recruitment in minority neighborhoods and how it handles reports of sexual assaults.

“I do think it was a multi-layered situation,” said Ridgely.
ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=69787

One transgender activist who pushed for the ban also objected to Manning’s selection as grand marshal.

“She is convicted of espionage. How does that honor us?” asked Fox, who views Manning as a traitor to her country. “The part that really upsets me with their honoring Chelsea Manning is she has not done anything or stood up for transgender military members.”

As Meltzerboy said, the politics of the San Francisco Pride Parade is more complicated than meets the eye.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.