National Speed Limit Proposed to Save Gas, Ease Prices

Get these out-of-touch, spinless, bonehead, Republicians, like Sen. John Warner, R-Va., out of office.

Story

“An influential Republican senator suggested Thursday that Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and possibly ease fuel prices.”

Some lawmakers apparently have too much free time.

Why the harsh words? What is so out of touch about his idea? Your knee-jerk response seems a little out of touch, to me. Gas prices are very high. Limiting maximal highway speed is a way of maximizing fuel efficiency. Sounds reasonable.

Because its crazy. I ride alot of miles across this country, and I can’t imagine riding across West Texas at 55 mph??? BTDT, all it does it make the general fund coffer of states rich by writing all those speeding tickets. Its terrible.

Am I missing something? I thought highways had speed limits already??? Or do they not in the USA? :shrug: It’s a good idea, anyway. Saves everyone money in the end.

We do, but we don’t have a “national speed limit.” After the oil crisis of the 70’s, we did - 55 mph. That was later abolished…does anyone know the year it was abolished?

EDIT ADD: Here’s what Wiki has - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

The National Maximum Speed Law (in the United States) was a provision of the 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act[1] that capped all speed limits at 55 mph (90 km/h). This cap was intended to conserve gasoline in response to the 1973 oil crisis. This law was modified twice in the late 1980s to allow 65 mph (105 km/h) limits. In 1995 it was repealed, returning the power of setting speed limits to the states.

So, instead of drilling offshore, or at ANWR, the Nanny State wants to tell my state how fast I can go, and how I can use my gasoline.

Joy…

So, instead of drilling offshore, or at ANWR, the Nanny State wants to tell my state how fast I can go, and how I can use my gasoline.

Yeah, ain’t it dumb?

It not only sounds idiotic, but it is. Reducing the speed limit won’t do anything to the price of gas. Its only a feel good law proposed. The only thing that will come of this law is more speeding tickets given to motorist. Some of you might get pleasure from this, but it is still idiotic.

Yes, there are speed limits. Around here four lane divided highways have a 65 mph and official Interstate highways have a 70 mph speed limit.

I have heard that the peak efficiency for modern cars is between 55 and 60 mph. Dropping the speed limit to 60 sounds like a sensible idea. Less gas consumed = more gas surplus = lower prices.

Look I’m not gonna fib. Whatever the speed limit is I’m gonna add about 9+. So in places like West Texas where the posted limit is 80 put me down for about 90! Yeeha!

Montana is another with reasonable speed limits, and been my experience (which is vast in my motorcycle travels) they don’t really care how fast ya go in places like Neveda and Wyoming, as long as it you’re not being crazy, but don’t hold me to that. At least I ain’t never got a ticket for such action.

I was once doing 95 on U.S. 50 east out of Ely, Neveda, and a deputy* passed me *and never checked up.

U.S. 50 across Nevada is over 400 miles of empty desert, at 55 mph, prolly take a week to get from Carson City to Utah? LOL. I don’t care it would save me a gallon of gas, I’ll pay it!

Lower speed limits were imposed in the 70’s and did absolutely nothing to reduce gas prices. Gas prices (as did other prices) came down only when the Fed undertook some responsible monetary action. Of course, it’s easier to blame the President and Congress, who don’t seem to have much of a clue as to why prices are high.

BamaRider, I took my car to 105-112mph a few times on I-80 in 1969. I probably should have confessed that, now that I think about it.

Actually this depends on where you live and the highway. Last time I was in Atlanta Georgia a few years ago the major highways had 55 mph speed limit. The one that leads to spaghetti junction, as they like to call it. Of course NO BODY paid any attention to it. If you were not doing at least 70 you got run completely over. We also have some 4 lane divided highways around here that have a 60 or 55 mph speed limit.

I have to agree with you about the efficiency thing. We personally do not drive over 60 mph regardless of the speed limit. It does make a difference in your gas mileage.

The main thing the national 55 mph speed limit in the 70’s did was make so many average citizens criminals, and speeding a national pastime. It made CB radios and radar detectors into a booming business.

Why doesn’t Congress try, just once, staying out of something, and letting the market handle it?!? If gas gets too pricey, people will either 1.) use less, reducing demand, 2.) find (real, economical, not subsidized fantasy) alternatives, or 3.) increase supply. It is easy, and a lot cheaper than anything that comes out of Washington.

I’m with ya, how bout running for office, you got more sense then allt those knuckleheads in the beltway.

I wouldnt mind a return of the CB, I think itd be fun:D

Thats why my minor comin up next year is gonna be political science. Of course my current life plans are the Priesthood, and the two arent really supposed to mix, so its really for the “in case of emergency” situation

“Thats why my minor comin up next year is gonna be political science. Of course my current life plans are the Priesthood, and the two arent really supposed to mix, so its really for the “in case of emergency” situation”

I would consider the priesthood to be the nobler course. god bless you.

What the government could do is try to fix the failing dollar rather then step on the individual states even more by reimposing the national speed limit.

The good news, is as a Priest, I can help the poor and disadvantage, and not break the Constution doing it. It would be tougher as a Congressman.

plus, Father Viale is just so much cooler sounding than Senator Viale

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.