National Teen Birthrate Plummets to All Time Low

Good news!

huffingtonpost.com/entry/national-teen-birth-rate-all-time-low_us_57224bbbe4b0b49df6aa8d2a

This is wonderful news. Numbers are still high in the south, and women of color, but that has been the case for a very long time.

Birth control? What do you think?

It would be interesting to see more specific statistics and a correlation with abortions/abortifacients within the same demographics for a clearer perspective.

When I looked at this before it was occurring in both red and blue states, so policy differences about abortion or funding prevention were likely not key drivers. There is an unexplained cultural shift.

It’s in the article:

He credited the reduction in births to teens having less sex and more consistent use of contraception.

Without getting into a difficult discussion, I wonder how many young women didn’t carry a pregnancy to full term. Or are they just counting non-pregnancies? Or it is a combination of all three -birth control, no conception, and abortions… With telemedicine and online meds, it is quite a bit easier to get birth control and also to end a pregnancy. The report didn’t seem to know.

The CDC came out with data last year that found fewer teenagers are having sex: consumer.healthday.com/kids-health-information-23/adolescents-and-teen-health-news-719/u-s-teens-waiting-longer-to-have-sex-cdc-701550.html

But the Huffington Post article is about birthrate not pregnancy, there is a difference I think, but teen pregnancy rates are also declining.

From the CDC report:
"*The survey also found an uptick in the number of girls who had ever used emergency contraception, from 8 percent in 2002 to 22 percent in 2011-2013.

Martinez said that’s likely because emergency contraception has become more accessible and widely available across the nation."*

So both an uptick in abstinence and increased contraception use are working in concert to help slow the teen pregnancy problem…

Who’d have thought that both sides would be right in this instance :wink:

Keep praying! One more step to begin the end of abortion!

Something positive had to eventually happen. You can only be wrong so many times before statistically speaking a right had to take place. Same concept with war since the 70s. We’re do for some kind of victory in that realm also. :wink:

It makes sense that this would happen over time, because on one hand there has been a couple of generations of Conservatives emphasizing chastity and abstinence, and on the other hand you have had more liberal people emphasizing contraception, so effective solutions were offered from both sides.

I hope it continues to drop. I used to work as an interpreter at a major hospital here in Dallas. Watching the ages of those girls broke my heart.

People blame the parents but sometimes it’s the kids fault too.

Without considering any other thing, one wonders how this affects lifetime births.

Physically, the best mother imaginable is an 18 or 19 year old. Extremely fertile, physically capable, lots of strength and energy. Long ago, it was typical for women to marry at 16 or so, and their “mothering ability” was excellent.

Now, of course, “teen pregnancy” seems not to mean an 18 year old woman who is married to a 20 year old man who has a decent job. We picture it, at least, as a 15 year old high school dropout who might or might not know who her “baby daddy” is.

And that’s probably more likely than that any significant number are “teens” circa 1868.

Is this good because of less fornication or bad because of more artificial contraception?

In my opinion, the social experiment with contraception hasn’t been worth the casualties. People my age are increasingly rejecting marriage. Really, what’s the point? And I don’t think this is the kind of marriage-less society we will see in heaven. What’s going on right now almost seems an anti-type, to me.

I truly think education and birth control are a very big piece of it. While those things can be controversial topics in some circles, I believe society is doing a much better job of communicating about sex with our children. Sex is much less hidden now, so we can have real conversations.

I noticed that too, Theo - that it doesn’t seem to be a red/blue thing. It’s across the board in that respect.

I think education (both at school and at home) is a key factor. It is much easier for me (a Gen Xer) to discuss sex with my children (Millenials) than it was for my parents (Baby Boomers) to discuss sex with me. Also, there is much better sex and health education in schools. Finally, our connectedness via the internet makes real information easier to access for people of all age.

It will be interesting to see if such a positive statistic keeps getting better.

Yes, statistics do seem to support that fewer teenagers are engaging in sexual intercourse. This does not mean they aren’t sexually active in other, safer (non baby producing) ways. Those ways are actually on the rise.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.