Nativity and Coming of Christ as told through Isaiah

I am doing some Scripture reading before Christmas and I was wondering if I am remembering correctly that there is a passage or 2 in Isaiah about the birth of Christ.

What is it?

Also, what are some other Old Testament passages about the birth of Jesus?

Isaiah is rich in its references to Christ!

I’m sorry I don’t have time to search these out for you right now, but here is a link to a good starting point - it is not Catholic but points to many passages in Isaiah that speak of Jesus.

One reason I love reading the Old Testament so much is finding the hidden little references to Jesus. I very recently saw this and thought it was so precious:

Job 39:9:“Will the wild ox consent to serve you, and to pass the nights by your manger?”

Isaiah 9 is very rich. Here is a small part…

*For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government will be upon his shoulder,
and his name will be called
"Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

(Isaiah 9:6)

Read More…*

Also look at the conversation between God (through Isaiah) and Ahaz in Isaiah 7.

Chapters 52 and 53 are also very good…

But he was wounded for our transgressions,
he was bruised for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that made us whole,
and with his stripes we are healed.

(Isaiah 53:5)

-Tim-

Here’s another…

Micah 5:2-5

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”

The O Antiphons have scriptural references from Isaiah:

fisheaters.com/customsadvent10.html

Yes, the O Antiphons are a perfect example of what you seek as the above poster has said. :thumbsup:

[quote=LPS;11518071One reason I love reading the Old Testament so much is finding the hidden little references to Jesus. I very recently saw this and thought it was so precious:
]

Wow! Thank you so much! I have never seen or heard that before. Don’t you love it when the Holy Spirit reveals things to you? !!

‘Call to me and I will answer you show you great and wonderful things which you have not known’ (Jeremiah 33:3)

( I’m posting this to all my Facebook friends )
[/quote]

The Messiah will be born of a Virgin Mother, This is described in Isaiah Chapter 7 verses 1-17.

Be aware that Christ was likely born in a cave, not a manger. Portraying the Messiah born in a stable was done by St. Francis to teach people about the humility of the incarnation.

-Tim-

Well, it’s true he wasn’t born in a manger-- a manger is a box full of hay that animals eat out of. The Gospel of Luke tells us that’s where he was laid. From Luke 2:

7 And she gave birth to her first-born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn. 8 And in that region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9* And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; 11* for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12* And this will be a sign for you: you will find a babe wrapped in swaddling cloths** and lying in a manger.**” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 14* “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!” * 15 When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” 16 And they went with haste, and found Mary and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

So what we are told is there was no room in the inn, and that he was laid in a manger. That he was laid in a manger would seem to indicate he was born in a place where animals are kept. By definition, that is a stable.

Now, of course it wasn’t a stable like we’re used to thinking of: made out of wood and painted a cheery red and white and all that, but even if it was a cave (which it probably was, since caves were commonly used to house animals at that time and place), it was still a “stable”.

BlessedLDS. You said:

I am doing some Scripture reading before Christmas and I was wondering if I am remembering correctly that there is a passage or 2 in Isaiah about the birth of Christ.

I personally enjoy Isaiah 7 as a Christmas meditation too, so I thought I’d share a few items that I focus in on with you BlessedLDS.

The birth of Jesus is a fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14.

Isaiah 7:14 talks about how a virgin conceives a child . . . . AND . . . .
. . … a virgin BEARS this child.

It is a description of the virginal birth of Jesus. The Blessed Virgin Mary is a Perpetual Virgin. Isaiah 7:14 shows us two of the three aspects of this doctrine.

Mary’s Perpetual Virginity includes three aspects.
[LIST]
*]The Virginal Conception
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]The in partu inviolability of Mary when delivering Jesus (the actual Virginal Birth)
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Mary’s subsequent Virginity
[/LIST]

The fact that Mary is a Virgin in conceiving and Mary is a Virgin even in bearing Jesus can be seen from Isaiah 7:14.

That’s part of what Isaiah has said concerning this great “sign”.

ISAIAH 7:10-14 (DRV) 10 And the Lord spoke again to Achaz, saying: 11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God either unto the depth of hell, or unto the height above. 12 And Achaz said: I will not ask, and I will not tempt the Lord. 13 And he said: Hear ye therefore, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to be grievous to men, that you are grievous to my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin (almah) shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel.

Parenthesis of “almah” above from me.

Some translated “almah” merely as “young woman”.

Since prophecies have layered fulfillment, “young woman” is fine, but “virgin” is a fuller and better prophetic fulfillment.

St. Matthew sees the birth of Jesus as a fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14.

MATTHEW 1:22-23 22 All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 23 “Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel” (which means, God with us).

[LIST]
*]The Virgin conceives this Son.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]The Virgin bears this Son.
[/LIST]

The Angel Gabriel also hearkens back to Isaiah 7 with the Blessed Virgin Mary.

LUKE 1:26-28, 31 26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!” . . . . 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.

The Angel of the Lord also hearkens back to Isaiah 7 with the Shepherds too.

LUKE 2:9a, 12 9 And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, . . . . 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a babe wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."

Although it would take a little more space to develop this (so I won’t unless you ask me to), the prophet Simeon’s “sign” concerns Jesus’ work on Calvary but it ALSO alluding to Isaiah 7 (the “sign”) as well—the Virgin Birth.

LUKE 2:34b-35 “Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against 35 (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.”

Why do I put emphasis on the Marian doctrine aspect of this?

Because it gives me a fuller view of Jesus for one thing. All Marian doctrines have Christologic implications. They all tell us about not just Mary, but Jesus.

The early heretics in the Church knew this and often sought to deny Marian doctrines to attack Jesus indirectly. For example Cerinthus denied Mary as a Virgin. Karl Keating brings out some facts about how the Beloved Disciple was repulsed by Cerinthus (here).

Another reason is I didn’t see anyone else directly mention the Blessed Mother yet so I thought I would (after all, this is a Christmas mediation).

Another reason why I include the Blessed Mother and how even She shows up in Isaiah and how it relates to Her Perpetual Virginity is it is important for me to be in union with historical Christianity—that matters to me.

I have been reading the ancient Church Fathers in depth and they all seem to come back to the Virginity of Mary (at least in the sense of the Virginal Conception and often times the miraculous Virgin Birth—or how a Virgin conceives a son and a Virgin bears a son, and sometimes the whole concept of Mary explicitly stated as EVER Virgin). The Church Fathers just matter-of-factly keep referring to Mary as “the Virgin” time and time again (I mean hundreds of times in my computer search). Something I wouldn’t expect if they thought Mary was NOT a Virgin or if they thought Mary’s Virginity was unimportant. The heretics like Cerinthus keep denying Mary’s Virginity as a springboard to deny . . . JESUS’ DIVINITY.

Anyway, enjoy your readings in the book of Isaiah BlessedLDS!

God bless.

Cathoholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.