Nato accused of war crimes in Libya

independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nato-accused-of-war-crimes-in-libya-6291566.html

A little good news regarding a tragic situation.

What, the “rebels” in Libya aren’t sending over thank you cards?

I would be very careful opening any envelopes mailed from the rebels in Libya.

I stopped reading when I got to “Palistinian Centre for Human Rights”.:rolleyes:

The rebels will murder each other until the most effective murderer takes full charge. That murderer will either sell out to European countries for oil money, or he won’t. He will, of course, support Islamist causes, at least financially.

you’re only saying that because that is what always happens.

No, sometimes they sell out to America.

Only then the chief murderer realizes how much money is involved and how ignorant the American people are about the reality of the middle east.

We replaced the devil we knew with the devil we don’t know.

We replaced a Libyan brutal dictator who we sort of worked with on and off with a Libyan brutal dictator who we are pretty sure is going to try to unite with his brethren in Egypt and Tunisia to really put the screws to us and Europe.

And who was it who dreamed up this little campaign?

[oh, right, Barack Obama, commander-in-chief of the U.S. military.]

Well the general models were South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and Eastern Europe. In all these countries people actually welcomed US intervention/help and some form of democracy blossomed. American help there helped bring freedom and democracy.
Sadly people in Afghanistan and Iraq (and now maybe other countries) have problems with this. And I can understand dislike and hate of occupiers. But instead of working with the occupier for a short while to get them out, people prefer to fight.

We weren’t exactly welcome in Japan at first. It was just that those people were so disciplined that when their own authorities told them to cooperate, they did. Later on, I think they welcomed it. And ordinary people, of course, had long been civilized.

We didn’t take Eastern Europe in WWII. The Soviets did. We barely salvaged Austria from them. But Eastern Europe never forgot that it was once civilized and self-determining, so when the Soviet regme fell apart, they were again able to recapture civilization. We did intervene militarily in South Korea and they did welcome that. Taiwan, we did take from Japan, and I expect the Taiwanese (later the Kuomintang) welcomed that.

Islamic nations…well, there is something about them that sort of resists civilization. Their tribalism is part of it. Lots of them don’t much like infidels and Afghanistan has never been civilized.

Good afternoon, all,

I would like to do a brief rant.

When the revolution started in Libya, I said we had no business there and should stay out.

When we were bombing in Libya, I said we had no business there and should get out.

Now that it’s over and NATO is being investigated for war crimes, I say we had no business there and should have stayed out, and NATO would have a clean nose if we had.

As it is, we deserve what ever happens for going in where we had no business.

God loves all of you, lurkers, too,
Don

What are you talking about. Sticking our nose into places it doesn’t belongs seems to be the standard foreign policy of both the Republican and Democrat parties.

:smiley:
Good afternoon, Scott,

I always thought we should wait for an invite. Neither the revolutionaries nor Gaddafi invited us in to Libya.

But, you’re right … both major American parties seem to have foregone common sense. That’s why I favor the Tea Parties.

God loves you,
Don

Well, according to the Bush Doctrine, we have a national security interest…nay, we have a RIGHT to go around the world, poking the bushes and under the rocks to see if there MIGHT be a snake that we have to kill before it kills us. I mean, nevermind the fact that it was just minding its own business until we came along poking around with a stick and getting it all riled up. The important part is that it is riled up now and it could strike at any moment, so we have to kill it. We should be comparing ourselves to St. Patrick, who drove the snakes out of Ireland. The world should love us for purging the world of evil.

Of course you were’nt welcome. You were victors in a war of attrition. You wouldn’t be welcome anywhere else. But ultimately instead of fighting you the Japanese realised they could rebuild society and your democracy was a good thing. You were of course protecting them from the Soviet Union and later PRC. My Catholic Japanese girlfriend used to say that Hiroshima saved Japan from the fate of North Korea.

We didn’t take Eastern Europe in WWII. The Soviets did. We barely salvaged Austria from them. But Eastern Europe never forgot that it was once civilized and self-determining, so when the Soviet regme fell apart, they were again able to recapture civilization.

And the Soviet Union fell apart because of… USA.

Back in 1982 when Gen Jaruzelski in Poland decided to call a State of Emergency, he said he had to be a patriot to do this to prevent a Soviet invasion. Well the Soviets were actually willing to let Poland go, they were so afraid of American sanctions which would follow had their tanks invaded. Funnily enough the West Germans and French were willing to support (financially) any Soviet or Communist response. They had lent too much money to the various Eastern European regimes and were not willing to risk those investments. Human rights be damned. But USA could effectively choke the USSR to economically to death without firing a shot.

We did intervene militarily in South Korea and they did welcome that. Taiwan, we did take from Japan, and I expect the Taiwanese (later the Kuomintang) welcomed that.

You did support Chang Kai Shek. And you still guarantee Taiwan’s security from the PRC.

I forgot to mention the best example of West Germany. You liberated West Germany from itself and then saved it from the Bolsheviks. The Germans know this. They too embraced democracy. They’re sadly forgetting it now.

In ME I think the wave of secularism was the cause of problems. The different Arab liberation movements, some funded by Soviets in the 19th and 20th centuries caused the mess. I think the ME would have been a more peaceful place had these nationalistic ideas never gained a ground and instead people followed theocratic or monarchic forms of government.

Hi, Scott,

Enjoying your satire. :slight_smile:

Come on, man, :smiley: you know most of the world will always hate the USofA as long as we’re a free country. Because most of the world has national governments which don’t guarantee their citizens’ right nor liberties. America’s freedoms are a threat to every oppressive government on Earth.

Anyway, I still think the Muslim Brotherhood could be behind the orchestrated Arab Spring. Because they are the ones now benefiting by inserting their selves into the new governments in all those countries.

Which brings us back to NATO in Libya. We sowed to the wind, there, and now we reap a whirlwind from there.

God loves you,
Don

The people of Brazil and Costa Rica are much freer than we are here, and I don’t see anyone trying to blow them up. :shrug:

Touche’!, Scott,

You got me.

I can rebut only that they aren’t as powerful nor as large as we are, and so are much less a threat to oppressive regimes.

God loves you,
Don

I am trying to google the lat time Brazil or Costa Rica invaded a sovereign country to “preemptively” stop them from being a threat. I’m coming up with nothing.

Maybe they abide by the Golden Rule, which is apparently a faux pas for American politicians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.