NATO Calls for More Troops for Largest Military Build-up on Russia's Borders Since Cold War

haaretz.com/world-news/1.749274

**NATO will press allies on Wednesday to contribute to its biggest military build-up on Russia’s borders since the Cold War as the alliance prepares for a protracted quarrel with Moscow.

With Russia’s aircraft carrier heading to Syria in a show of force along Europe’s shores, alliance defense ministers aim to make good on a July promise by NATO leaders to send forces to the Baltic states and eastern Poland from early next year.**

The article continues at the link.

Well, I expect war shortly. This could potentially be WW3. May God intervene.

Can’t we at least deal with ISIS first? After that NATO (USA included) and Russia could figure out how to coexist, but we have a common enemy… let’s align with each other to take them out.

Unfortunately, I predict a Cold War is on the horizon. Not sure about full blown WW3 though.

The United States spends about $600 million each year on its military budget. China spends $215 million and Russia about $66 million. Germany. the U.K, and France each spend less than a 1/10 of what the U.S. spends. Based on that alone, who sounds the most “trigger happy”? Even if we sadly discount the number the number of American deaths in the endless War in Afghanistan and countless injuries that have occurred over it’s duration. Who is really the aggressor here? Why wouldn’t “enemies” of the U.S. also not try to display a show of force out of fear?

If we reduce it solely down to dollars, think of how that same money could have been constructively used in the United States. Strengthen our own border, cancer research help the homeless, build up Social security, Medicare. The possibilities are endless.

Why would the Untied States think they can solve the world’s problems when they can’t even solve their own? Our borders are like a screen sieve, crime rises each year. Our police have little public support to “protect” us from ourselves. It is ridiculous.

The whole thing sounds too strange for reality.

Just looking at the tiny numbers of Russian ships, troops, and tanks … too small for any kind of realistic threat assessment.

You are a few orders of magnitude too low with your budget figures.

It’s probably nothing.

US intervention in foreign countries only makes things worse.

Actually, the U.S. and Russia do not have a common enemy in the Middle East. We have a common ally; Iran.

The U.S. has not seriously fought ISIS, and to the extent it has, it has done so largely in support of Iranian-led Shiite forces. Russia fights for Assad, an Iranian puppet.

Neither the U.S. nor Russia is taking serious war to ISIS, notwithstanding that ISIS is, and has always been, quite weak militarily.

You are correct. I must have held some hope in the deep recesses of my mind that things weren’t that bad. Extrapolate my figures 3 more digits.

Comparing military budgets of the U.S., Russia and China are not very revealing for a number of reasons. For one thing, American armed forces members are paid enormously more than are Russian or Chinese soldiers. When that difference is tens of thousands of dollars multiplied by more than a million people, that’s a very big difference. Add to that differences in manufacturing costs and sophistication level of weaponry, and the comparative defense budgets expressed in dollars is meaningless. Considering those differences, (and I’m no military analyst) China might actually be outspending the U.S. in terms of what it gets for its spending.

Regardless if we compare yen, rubles, dollars, kunas or drakmas, the point is we spend an incredible amount of money on a military budget and intervention in foreign affairs.

If we go so far as to throw out the billions of dollars involved we could also say that-No country in the world comes close to the number of locations and military presence that the Untied States has.

I think Russia has a military presence in 9 countries. I think China is in one.

Here is the United States: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments

I t has been estimated that the U.S. has some military personnel of some kind in 130-150 different countries.

There were huge demonstrations against NATO when US troops and tanks paraded in Moldova recently.

Since Russia controls about 1/3 of Moldova, that should not come as greatly surprising.

The signs I saw were all in Romanian and the people were speaking Romanian.

Moldova is the poorest country in Europe. It is a small country partially divided with the breakaway province of Transnistria. They have a rocky history. The demands of the protesters is that they want to recognize their country as neutral without military intervention from the outside. They like many countries in the world want to control their own destiny with the military intervention of outside sources.

Although Moldova does not want intervention of the Russian military in their country, this thread is about NATO and this protest was against NATO presence, not Russia. Unwanted military intervention is apparently not welcome there from either side.

I think that many of these comments are pretty much right on the mark, particularly what ridgerunner said about comparing military budgets, and about who, if anyone, is actually fighting ISIS. Really, if we boil it down, Trump is who we vote for if we want some semblance of world peace, and we can be assured that with Clinton our national nightmare is just about to begin, approximately one week from now. In my lifetime I’ve never known the country to be anywhere near this divided and divisive. People I meet in real life are viciously tooth and nail either one way or the other. Our current situation really is just completely disturbing.

My wife just returned from Romania and Moldova. Both peoples are extremely welcoming to westerners. However, if you cross over into the Russian-controlled part of Moldova, which she did, it’s like crossing into the old Soviet Union from the west used to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.