Natural transformism

Hello,

I have a question regarding if natural transformism (evolution from creature to man) is acceptable with Catholic doctrine.
This is a the creed of Pope Pelagius I:

“I acknowledge . . . that all men from Adam onward who have been born and have died up to the end of the world will then rise again and stand “before the judgment-seat of Christ,” together with Adam himself and his wife, who were not born of other parents, but were created: one from the earth and the other from the side of the man”

Now, to me, it appears that Pelagius is acting as supreme pastor and teacher of the faithful proclaiming definitively on something regarding faith or morals. It appears that the doctrinal content is infallible. Given this, how can natural transformism still be an open question? Pius XII allowed evolution though said nothing of natural transformism.
Pius XII Humani Generis - "in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God."
It appears to me that Pius XII is leaving evolution from living plant life to human life as an open question though it appears that evolution from ape (or any creature with a sex) to man is out of the question for I would assume that if Pius wanted to include natural transformism he would’ve mentioned it rather than carefully wording the encyclical that evolution from “living matter” is acceptable but leaving out evolution from a beast.

Is the current evolution evidence saying that we came from plantlife to manhood? If not, I don’t see how the current evidence for evolution is an open question for Catholics and why Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI seem so open to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.