Nature of Heaven and Hell among the Religions

I created a Jpeg of 6 belief systems of what Heaven and Hell are like in these religions, this is not perfect, but it was what I could put together to the best of my knowlege.

If the Jpeg does not load, The Image is comparing Mormon, Catholic, Other Christians, New Agers, and Islam.

In this thread, post your beliefs on what you think of the Purpose of this life is, and what you know of Heaven, and Hell.

Since I am Mormon I tend to Go with the 3 degrees of Glory concept of the LDS church, but also I believe in PURGATORY as an alternative to the LDS concept of Heaven. Have been interested in the Catholic Church for several years now.

Explore Geoffrey Chase
If Image does not show> DOWNLOAD

That is a nice chart, well done!

I just wanted to say that many Protestants do not believe that hell is eternal but that, after the judgement, sinners simply die and cease to exist eternally. I think that there is a huge difference compared to other interpretations (like the Catholic one).

I’d like to hear from some Protestants who have this belief. I have never heard this from a Protestant, although some post-Christian groups hold this belief.

God bless,
Paul

SDA dont believe you will burn for ever and ever and ever! Like nobody is ever going to die and we will live happily while our neighbours and lost familiy members just constantly burn in hell! Wow!

I did not continue the chart below that point, but I could have stated that many of the religions do believe that Hell, is basically permanent, and that souls may parish in Hell upon the Final Judgement, but this area of Theology is basically open to interpretation, since that time is so far in the future, but at least we know that a total rejection of the Trinity is sure Death. Beyond this is up to the Lord in Judging us.

SDA’s are some of the post-Christians I was referring to.

Paul

In some of the Christian Religions, the topic of HELL is used as a shock treatment, to shock people into NOT sinning, but what happens if they commit some bad ones, and then leave that church? They may just drop out of the church, and join none of the others.

What I meant in the last post, was to say that a total rejection of the witnessing of the Holy Spirit is sure Death.

Cannot edit first post so I have an updated version of the chart HERE

Some of your real Catholics might need to correct me but as it was taught to me, there are two degrees of sin: venial and mortal. A venial sin is a forgivable offense and is usually a lesser degree of a mortal sin. For example: Thou shall shall not kill. If you smack your brother in anger, that would be a venial sin. If you shoot him in the head, it’s a mortal sin.

If you die with a (unconfessed) mortal sin on your soul, you’re headed for the toasty oven of heck. I wonder how that works with Thou shall keep holy the sabbath day?

I’m having a hard time understanding parts of your chart…are you saying the goal of all people is to reach the “pearly gates”?

I am involved in another discussion on another religious forum. A christian is trying to “understand other religions” and asks people to answer her questions, but all the questions are pretty much about Christianity. Asking a person who’s faith has no concept of heaven or hell what they think of them, or how they “deal” with them…doesn’t make much sense.

Someone referred to it as asking someone to explain hockey…but only using baseball terms…so…what do hockey players do for the seventh inning stretch? And how do hockey rules address an infield fly? Well…they don’t…because they are about different things. Many religions are not about sin, afterlife, etc.

If a person want to learn about another religion, they need to be willing to understand the other faith on its own terms, not merely on the terms of their own faith.

most religions cannot be placed side by side with simple comparisons made on a point by point basis.

Trying to do so does not simpify anything for anybody, it just muddies the waters of understanding even further.

cheddar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.