Nature versus religion

Living amidst purple mountains majesty and other wonders of nature is likely to turn you away from religious adherence, claim a couple of Baylor social scientists who’ve got the multivariate factor analysis to back it up. In a forthcoming article in the journal Sociology of Religion, Todd Ferguson and Jeffrey Tamburello construct maps of the U.S. showing that counties which rank high on a “natural amenities” scale tend to have low rates of religious adherence, while those lacking the natural amenities go the other way.

Because correlation is always the same as causation. Oh, wait, it isn’t… :slight_smile:

–Jen

What we have here is a perfect example of Ivory Tower intellectuals with way too much free time on their hands.

I wonder how they qualified “natural amenities”…

Living amidst purple mountains majesty and other wonders of nature is likely to turn you away from religious adherence

Yeah, that’s why there are no churches here in wild, wonderful West Virginia.
:cool:

I live in the spectacular San Juan mountain range of the Rockies, in Colorado. When I walk out my door, every single day, I am awestruck by the beauty and give thanks to God for it. It never gets old and I never forget Who is responsible for it. I hear the same from everyone in my parish and the population in general. The study is bogus. God’s beauty draws us toward him, not away from him.

Peace.

Steve

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.