Naughty Popes

I’ve heard that throughout History we’ve had some bad Popes but who were they and what did they do that was bad?

The Borgia Pope comes to mind. Alexander VI… had lots and lots of illegitimate kids, lived very lavishly.

Liberius was close to being a heretic.

But no Pope, as bad as they ever were, taught heresy. Paul III lived a personal life one could question; he also had several children, but was one of the great Popes of the 16th Century, working on the Council of Trent.

I have always found it fascinating that the Holy Spirit protects the Church from the people in it…lololol;)

[quote=starrs0]I’ve heard that throughout History we’ve had some bad Popes but who were they and what did they do that was bad?
[/quote]

Not sure if this is true or not but according to history

Pope Honorius reigned from 625 to 638 A.D. He was condemned as a heretic by the Sixth Ecumenical Council (680-681). He was also condemned as a heretic by Pope Leo II, as well as by every other pope until the eleventh century

1. William Webster, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History” (Carlisle, Pennsylvania: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1995), pages 63-71.

From what I read on Wikipedia Pope Stephan VII was quite mean digging up the remains of his predecessor Pope Formosus and putting him on trial then stripping him of his vestments loping off three of his fingers and throwing him in in the Tiber tsk tsk
Read about it Here:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Stephen_VII
and Here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_Synod

Pope Sergius III was apparently no saint either en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sergius_III

[quote=julebenn]Not sure if this is true or not but according to history

Pope Honorius reigned from 625 to 638 A.D. He was condemned as a heretic by the Sixth Ecumenical Council (680-681). He was also condemned as a heretic by Pope Leo II, as well as by every other pope until the eleventh century

1. William Webster, “The Church of Rome at the Bar of History” (Carlisle, Pennsylvania: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1995), pages 63-71.
    [/quote]

Honorius was not condemned for teaching heresy, but for not stopping its spread which is what he should have done as pastor of the universal Church. Anyone who says otherwise should produce official documents wherein Honorius proclaimed a heretical teaching *as *official Church teaching. And I’m not sure if William Webster is a reliable source.

Gerry :slight_smile:

[quote=starrs0]I’ve heard that throughout History we’ve had some bad Popes but who were they and what did they do that was bad?
[/quote]

Benedict IX. [/font] is an article on him from the Catholic Encyclopedia.

Gerry :slight_smile:

I’m reading a great book called “Pope Fiction.” It covers a lot of this in a very readable manner. I recommend it.

How reliable is Wikipedia??? :confused: I have heard that anyone can submit an article and only when someone picks it up as incorrect is it removed; meanwhile who knows how many thousands of people have got the wrong info.

Some time ago someone wrote a piece about priests hanging people after an earthquake and put it in Wikipedia. The story had no basis in fact but was picked up by a big newspaper in the USA and it took a stay at home mum many hours to track the lie back to its source - Wikipedia - and ask for it to be removed.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.