Navarre Commentary question

Have a few questions regarding the Navarre biblical commentaries.

1. Is there a one volume complete bible commentary, and if so does it contain all the same information that the individual volumes offer?

2. Do the individual volumes offer Hebrew and Greek work study tools?

3. what is the best version of this commentary? Heard they released newer editions. I was wondering if these newer volumes lack content compared to earlier versions?

There is a single volume for the new testament, and then a separate volume for each NT book, as well as several OT volumes, each covering several books.

The single Volume NT is a good general purpose NT commentary, but not very detailed compared to the single volumes.

Not much greek instruction (or Hebrew, or Latin).

I have found a good catholic study bible to be as good as this series. The Ignatius NT study bible is probably better than the entire Navarre collection.

If you want something comprehensive, with language and commentary, you are looking at very expensive multi volume works…it can get expensive. I currently have 428 volumes of commentary in my personal 1606 volume religious studies library.

Not sure about the the language text thing you are talking about but all their commentary is based on the NRSV-CE I have been buying the OT hard back editions (the are several books in each such as the Pentatuch is one volume) used from ABE BOOKS. I have a New Testament Readers edition which has "slightly abbreviated commentary, but they also sell the Navarre NT Expanded edition which looks awesome but pricey for me. I did just get the Navarre Hardbound Gospels and Acts and it looks pretty good, nice layout.

I think you meant that it is based upon the RSV-CE?

I have the 10 volume series (hardback). The only single volumes are the NT only, and even the expanded version of that does not have all the information that is in the 3 volumes (NT) of the 10 volume series. But it is nice.

Yup, sorry. So many bibles, so little time. For our diocease scripture school we are supposed to use the nabre study bible. I usually refer to the navarre anyway.

If you are able to speak Spanish, then here is a one-volume edition of the Navarre Bible:

amazon.com/Biblia-De-Navarra-Tapa-Dura/dp/1890177717

I do not have a copy of it, and hence cannot comment much on it, but I figured I would mention it, just in case you do speak Spanish.

I wish Navarre had published this in English also.

So do I. Especially at the price of $15 that the Spanish edition costs (which is so good, I had to order a copy). Perhaps they will eventually have it English? I hope so. Just as I patiently await the full Ignatius Study Bible, hoping it will be published in my lifetime. :slight_smile:

The individual volumes for New Testament books are excellent, and I have made a point of purchasing them all. Some volumes covering the Old Testament are good, and some are not good, simply paraphrasing the Old Testament books covered. I started ordering the volumes covering the Old Testament, but then became careful after I found some didn’t well discuss the books covered. There is a single volume covering the New Testament–but I would recommend instead something like the “Jerome Biblical Commentary” or the original British “A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture” instead, both large volumes which cover the whole Bible, the Old as well as the New Testaments

I think they serve different purposes and one should ideally acquire both a more "spiritual’ commentary (Navarre or Haydock) and a more technical commentary such as the others you named.

Well, I received a copy of the Spanish one yesterday, and it is very nice, especially for the price. I think I will be using this one regularly. But I am all the more eager for them to publish one in English as well.

Yes.

It is here scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

No. But there is Latin.

There is not a “best version”.

There are various ways to do the New Testament:

There is the Standard edition in either 12 paperback or 3 hardback. They are the longer editions.

Then there is a compact edition which was a first run at a single volume - but it is less commentary but great for those who do not want a lot of commentary.

Then there is the New Testament Expanded Edition

It is important to note that the Expanded Edition is yes a new work. Since it came out later than the CCC it references the CCC and is a newer different work. But it does not replace the Standard Set.

It can of course stand by itself…but it is a different work than the three or 12 or 3 Standard set. It can be something to get along with the 3 (or 12). I use both.

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

For the OT there is only one Set or a couple single book paperbacks.

scepterpublishers.org/category/?category_id=24

The Expanded edition is not intended to – it is a NEW work …it can stand alone of course but it compliments the Standard edition *not *abbreviates it (that would be the compact ed).

Yes.

It is here scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

No. But there is Latin.

There is not a “best version”.

There are various ways to do the New Testament:

There is the Standard edition in either 12 paperback or 3 hardback. They are the longer editions.

Then there is a compact edition which was a first run at a single volume - but it is less commentary but great for those who do not want a lot of commentary.

Then there is the New Testament Expanded Edition

It is important to note that the Expanded Edition is yes a new work. Since it came out later than the CCC it references the CCC and is a newer different work. But it does not replace or abridge the Standard Set.

It can of course stand by itself…but it is a different work than the three or 12 or 3 Standard set. It can be something to get along with the 3 (or 12). I use both…

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

For the OT there is only one Set or a couple single book paperbacks.

scepterpublishers.org/category/?category_id=24

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.