Nazi 'perfect Aryan' poster child was Jewish

When Hessy Taft was six months old, she was a poster child for the Nazis. Her photograph was chosen as the image of the ideal Aryan baby, and distributed in party propaganda. But what the Nazis didn’t know was that their perfect baby was really Jewish.

“I can laugh about it now,” the 80-year-old Professor Taft told Germany’s Bild newspaper in an interview. “But if the Nazis had known who I really was, I wouldn’t be alive.”

Prof Taft recently presented the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Israel with a Nazi magazine featuring her baby photograph on the front cover, and told the story of how she became an unlikely poster child for the Third Reich.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10938062/Nazi-perfect-Aryan-poster-child-was-Jewish.html

The Nazis were strange about race and racial “purity”. Very strange. I recall reading that in one death camp they picked out various Jews that, to them, looked “Aryan” and actually gave them the opportunity to escape death if they “went Aryan”, renouncing their Jewishness. To my recollection, they all chose death.

There wasn’t a lot of allowing people of Jewish heritage to “pass”, but there was some. I believe Milch was, in fact, at least half Jewish. When someone brought that up to Goering, he is said to have stated “I’m the one who decides who is a Jew and who is not.”

There were not a few Jews in the Wehrmacht, even a few in the SS. It was a disaster to be found out in the SS, but not so much in the Wehrmacht, in which some who were known to be of Jewish heritage served out the war.

That is really interesting.

I read somewhere, years ago, that Erich Raeder, Grand Admiral of the Navy, had documents destroyed that indicated some of his sailors were Jews.

Interesting article; thanks for the link.

Mary.

Irony.

I love it when things like this happen to groups bent on evil deeds. :smiley:

There may be Nazis in hell forced to look at the poster.

Another true story that would have Hitler spinning in his grave: Near the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge a team of three US Army engineers held up the main thrust of German tanks in the Ardennes for eight hours. One of the engineers, who happened to be Jewish, stood in the middle of a narrow road at night and yelled “Halt”. Because the command means the same in German and English, the lead tank stopped for a moment while the other two American engineers blew the tracks off with a bazooka. The German timetable called for them to move so quickly that they did not have their own engineers anywhere near the front and the road was too narrow to go around the disabled tank.

While in custody after the war awaiting his trial for war crimes, Colonel Joachim Peiper attibuted the failure of the operation to “those damn sappers”. He also meant to include other small teams of engineers who blew up bridges ahead of him as they beat him in the race to capture Allied fuel depots until his tanks ran out of gas. When the weather cleared his stationary tanks were sitting ducks for Allied fighter bombers and any Germans who survived had to walk home without their armored vehicles. None of this would have been possible without a courage of a little Jewish guy who stood alone in the middle of the road and yelled “Halt.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.