NBC awkwardly and abruptly ends Olympic coverage

sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-awkwardly-and-abruptly-ends-Olympic-coverage?urn=oly,224859

How did NBC choose to end its 865 hours of Winter Olympic coverage? By barely acknowledging that said coverage was ending.

In a bizarre conclusion to its telecasts of the 2010 Vancouver Games, NBC awkwardly cut away to air the premiere of the much-hyped reality show, "The Marriage Ref." Viewers were abruptly informed that coverage of the Ceremony would continue at 11:30 p.m. ET.

All that NBC does in over-dramatizing the Games and that's how they choose to end coverage for a vast majority of viewers? (Because, let's face it, most people aren't tuning in for the 11:30 p.m. coverage.) No Costas sign-off? No end credits? No cheesy summation of the triumphs of the Olympic spirit? Where's our closure?

[quote="thereseozi, post:1, topic:188991"]
sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-awkwardly-and-abruptly-ends-Olympic-coverage?urn=oly,224859

How did NBC choose to end its 865 hours of Winter Olympic coverage? By barely acknowledging that said coverage was ending.

In a bizarre conclusion to its telecasts of the 2010 Vancouver Games, NBC awkwardly cut away to air the premiere of the much-hyped reality show, "The Marriage Ref." Viewers were abruptly informed that coverage of the Ceremony would continue at 11:30 p.m. ET.

All that NBC does in over-dramatizing the Games and that's how they choose to end coverage for a vast majority of viewers? (Because, let's face it, most people aren't tuning in for the 11:30 p.m. coverage.) No Costas sign-off? No end credits? No cheesy summation of the triumphs of the Olympic spirit? Where's our closure?

[/quote]

But if they gave everyone a sense of closure, people would have turned off the TV before "The Marriage Ref" started. :p

It seemed to work out well for NBC. "The Marriage Ref" brought in 14+million viewers (a high number for NBC). I'm sure they care about that much more than giving people a sense of closure.

It is sort of jarring, though. It's unfortunate that they have to do such things to pull in ratings, but that's just the way the business works.

Actually, they did the big ending/music/montage/credits for everyone involved in the broadcast on SATURDAY during the day.

I saw it. We Tivoed the Olympics and have many hours of coverage to fast-forward through now (in our vast amount of free time--ha ha!).

I was not paying a lot of attention on Saturday, but I did see this. I specifically heard them say that they were going to do the closing credits now so that more people would be able to see it. So I stopped and paid attention.

They ran about a ten-minute montage featuring several popular (inspiring) songs and live shots of pretty much every great moment in the Olympics, especially the American athletes. They also ran the credits, which included multiple hundreds of names of grips, camera crew, technical crew, assistants to the producers, script girls and boys, graphic designers, etc. etc.

It was very inspiring. A keeper for the Tivo, IMO.

I think it should have been re-run on Sunday night, but then, they are a television network, and they are trying to convince sponsors to sell the public products and they do that through shows, not just the Olympics. They were just doing their job.

Interestingly, there are probably just as many people in the U.S. who are glad that the Olympics are finally over as there are people like me who wish they could go on forever. Where I worked, most people didn't even bother to watch any of the Olympics, even when people from our own backyard were competing. My goodness, times have changed. When I was a child and a teenager, everyone I knew watched the Olympics and cheered for their home country. My PARENTS watched the Olympics. I believe we stood up during the National Anthem, at least until my mom's arthritis got too bad to stand. I still remember her watching track star Michael Johnson and saying how beautiful he was (she couldn't even walk).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.