NBC Fires Producer of Misleading Zimmerman Tape

NY Times:

NBC Fires Producer of Misleading Zimmerman Tape

NBC News has fired a producer who was involved in the production of a misleading segment about the Trayvon Martin case in Florida.The person was fired on Thursday, according to two people with direct knowledge of the disciplinary action who declined to be identified discussing internal company matters. They also declined to name the fired producer. A spokeswoman for NBC News declined to comment.
The action came in the wake of an internal investigation by NBC News into the production of the segment, which strung together audio clips in such a way that made George Zimmerman’s shooting of Mr. Martin sound racially motivated. Ever since the Feb. 26 shooting, there has been a continuing debate about whether race was a factor in the incident.

The segment in question was shown on the “Today” show on March 27. It included audio of Mr. Zimmerman saying, “This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.”
But Mr. Zimmerman’s comments had been taken grossly out of context by NBC. On the phone with a 911 dispatcher, he actually said of Mr. Martin, “This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.” Then the dispatcher asked, “O.K., and this guy — is he white, black or Hispanic?” Only then did Mr. Zimmerman say, “He looks black.”

The editing of the segment was initially noticed by NewsBusters, an arm of the Media Research Center, a conservative media monitoring group. On March 31, NBC told The Washington Post that it would investigate.

:thumbsup:

Bad, but good. I do not partake of the media, so such a “cleansing” is good, but how much that was less blatant was OKed and then shown?

I have never been happier than since I quite the media.

Good.

Newsbusters is great.

How will they (i.e. NBC, Sharpton, Jackson, et al) continue with the national lynching if the truth comes out?

It shows NBC to be accountable. A producer blew it and got fired. Compare that to FOX TV’s daily parade of lies with no retractions, no firings, nothing.

Good for NBC, I trust them more now.

What you said sounds like a purposed lie about Fox. It is very irresponsible to falsely accuse someone without proof. And lying or false witness is a sin. You know that.

Please, let’s not start calling people liars. FOX’s nature as a propaganda network that disregards facts is well known.

How is Fox a ‘‘propaganda network that disregards facts?’’ Provide some evidence.

Maybe this will help answer your question?

Content analysis studies

The Project on Excellence in Journalism report in 2006[41] showed that 68 percent of Fox cable stories contained personal opinions, as compared to MSNBC at 27 percent and CNN at 4 percent. The “content analysis” portion of their 2005 report also concluded that “Fox was measurably more one-sided than the other networks, and Fox journalists were more opinionated on the air.”[45]

The documentary Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism claims that Fox reporters and anchors, rather than citing an anonymous source in order to advance a storyline, use the phrase “some people say” to include unattributed conservative opinion and commentary into reports. In the film, Media Matters for America president David Brock noted that some shows, like Fox’s evening news program, Special Report with Brit Hume, tend to exhibit editorializing attitudes and behavior when on the air.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel_controversies#Studies_and_reports

Also;

Tests of knowledge of Fox viewers

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland School of Public Affairs, as published in the Winter 03-04 issue of the Political Science Quarterly,[55] reported that poll-based findings[56] indicated that viewers of Fox News, the Fox Broadcasting Company and local Fox affiliates were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three purported misperceptions:[55]

67% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization" (Compared with 56% for CBS, 49% for NBC, 48% for CNN, 45% for ABC, 16% for NPR/PBS).
The belief that "The U.S. has found Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq" was held by 33% of Fox viewers and only 23% of CBS viewers, 19% for ABC, 20% for NBC, 20% for CNN and 11% for NPR/PBS
35% of Fox viewers believed that "the majority of people [in the world] favor the U.S. having gone to war" with Iraq. (Compared with 28% for CBS, 27% for ABC, 24% for CNN, 20% for NBC, 5% for NPR/PBS)

Jim

Most recent poll shows Fox is the most trustworthy news:

mediaite.com/tv/poll-says-fox-news-most-trusted-news-source-and-least-trusted/

usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/05/20/poll-fox-oreilly-most-trusted-news-sources

townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/01/18/poll_americas_most_trusted_tv_news_source_is

Why are you defending a bunch of left-wing radicals like those who populate Fox News? There is no such thing as balanced news coverage in this country. It’s all controlled by the far left as a tool to push their radical agenda.

With the availability of multiple news sources now, there is no need for a conservative (as I think you claim to be) to get their news from the boob-tube. Why allow yourself to be brainwashed?

I don’t think truth has any bearing on their activities. I guess everybody needs a hobby.

Anyway, I think NBC was correct in firing the Producer who blatantly removed part of the 911 call, in order to slant the news.’

Just as CBS was correct in firing Dan Rather, although it took more pressure, for using a forged document in a report about George Bush’s military record.

It’s why you need to use a wide variety of news sources and any that admit to their bias, such as Fox News, should be avoided.

Personally, I like NPR, but I know that will make some grind and gnash their teeth.:smiley:

Jim

The entire mainstream news is biased; while Fox news has a conservative slant, I think they are probably the most fair and balanced. The amount of conservative commentators on Fox news is not proof Fox news is a talking piece for the Republican Party and/or the Right - there is a difference between commentary and news - the ‘Project on excellence in Journalism report,’ does not seem to understand that. People like Bill O’reilly and Sean Hannity offer analysis of the news, both have guests on the show with opposing views. Has Fox news ever said either of those shows offer hard news?

Also;

Tests of knowledge of Fox viewers

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland School of Public Affairs, as published in the Winter 03-04 issue of the Political Science Quarterly,[55] reported that poll-based findings[56] indicated that viewers of Fox News, the Fox Broadcasting Company and local Fox affiliates were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three purported misperceptions:[55]

67% of Fox viewers believed that the “U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization” (Compared with 56% for CBS, 49% for NBC, 48% for CNN, 45% for ABC, 16% for NPR/PBS).

The belief that “The U.S. has found Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq” was held by 33% of Fox viewers and only 23% of CBS viewers, 19% for ABC, 20% for NBC, 20% for CNN and 11% for NPR/PBS

35% of Fox viewers believed that “the majority of people [in the world] favor the U.S. having gone to war” with Iraq. (Compared with 28% for CBS, 27% for ABC, 24% for CNN, 20% for NBC, 5% for NPR/PBS)

Jim

PIPA study:

There were links between Saddam Hussein and 9/11

There were links between Saddam Hussein and and 9/11; George Bush and Dick Cheney used 9/11 to go after Saddam Hussein.

PIPA study:

There were links between Saddam Hussein and al-Quaeda

There were links between Saddam Hussein and al-Quaeda.

There was a 2008 Media survey, pollsters asked ‘‘Do you happen to know which political party has a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives’?’’ ‘‘Can you tell me the name of the current U.S. Secretary of State?’’ "Who is the current prime minister of Great Britain?’’ Any respondent who answered all three earned high knowledge destination. Fox viewers were about the national average at 19%, compared to 18% of all respondents. Other shows such as CBS news, CNBC viewers etc. did worse than Fox news.

Statistically Fox news gave Barack Obama 25% positive coverage in the 2008 election, John McCain got 22% positive coverage. Barack Obama got 40% negative coverage,. John McCain got 40% negative coverage, within the margin of error.

MSNBC was more negative (73%) against John McCain than Fox news was negative about Barack Obama:

journalism.org/print/13437

I get news from a variety of sources.

Well known by whom? Examples, please.

MODERATOR NOTICE

This thread is wandering, please return to the topic of the OP

So what race was the editor? And was he/she exhibiting hate?

The point was to make the whole sad case about racism. Why stop now?

LOL that is exactly what you have done in repeated posts. Pot meet kettle.

Do you honestly think NBC would have reported that they fired someone had they not been pressured to do so (if someone was actually fired has yet to be confirmed).

As for Dan Rather - even after is was shown that the he was guilty of accepting faked information from a totally unreliable source it was only after he still claimed “fake but true” that his job was put in jeopardy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.