NBC says we worship the Shroud of Tourin!?!?!

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I have a disturbing story to tell you. I was watching the Today show Sunday on NBC before goint to Mass. They were doing a story on the Shroud of Tourin in Torino, Italy in conjunction with the Olympics. It was an interesting piece up until the end. At the end of the message they stated the following:

“Catholics come from all over the world to worship the Shroud.”

This kind of statement in the media can’t be tolorated. It is this kind of statement, made by an uninformed moron, that leads Protestants to believe that we “Worship” Mary, the Saints, statues, and anything else other than God.

I hope that you will read this and contact NBC along with me and demand that they retract this statement. We need to combat this kind of thing, as it only serves to strengthen the erronious arguements of those who would like to see the Vatican burned to the ground.

Help me out…send an email.

Thanks.

Brad

Sorry NBC, but Catholics worship only God. We venerate relics, such as the Shroud of Tourin.

Not to nit-pick, but it is the Shroud of Turin.

Well, heck with them!!!:smiley:

Just kidding!:o

Don’t you just love it when the secular world says we “worship” this and that and the other???:rolleyes:

[quote=sadie2723]Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I have a disturbing story to tell you. I was watching the Today show Sunday on NBC before goint to Mass. They were doing a story on the Shroud of Tourin in Torino, Italy in conjunction with the Olympics. It was an interesting piece up until the end. At the end of the message they stated the following:

This kind of statement in the media can’t be tolorated. It is this kind of statement, made by an uninformed moron, that leads Protestants to believe that we “Worship” Mary, the Saints, statues, and anything else other than God.

I hope that you will read this and contact NBC along with me and demand that they retract this statement. We need to combat this kind of thing, as it only serves to strengthen the erronious arguements of those who would like to see the Vatican burned to the ground.

Thanks.

Brad
[/quote]

Do you have a link to this?

I think some of these kinds of statements are simply misunderstandings. For people who don’t worship anything, the Catholic distinctions between adoration, worship, veneration, and honor, are simply meaningless. You may be trying to explain the distinction, and they’re just thinking, “whatever.”

As I recall there are blood stains on the shroud.

If ithe shroud is authentic, would these stains still be Jesus’ blood? If so,. would they not retain His divinity? If that were true then worship would be called for.

No

Body

Cares

what they say

[quote=b_justb]No

Body

Cares

what they say
[/quote]

Hey, I like that :thumbsup: I will use that the next time this station comes up in conversation.

If nobody cared, this thread wouldn’t exist.

[quote=JimG]I think some of these kinds of statements are simply misunderstandings. For people who don’t worship anything, the Catholic distinctions between adoration, worship, veneration, and honor, are simply meaningless. You may be trying to explain the distinction, and they’re just thinking, “whatever.”
[/quote]

For us Protestants it is difficult to make the difference even when we try, sometimes Catholics have to explain it to us over and over again, be patient with us !!!
The problem is that when ( at last, after tiring a whole lot of friendly Catholics who kindly spent a lot of time explaining it to us ) we have understood, the media sometimes make such a statement like the one you have mentioned about the Shroud of Turin, it confuses us …
In France the media also make that kind of mistakes, and since they also make silly statements about Protestants ( since they usually don’t know anything about us, except if the journalist happens to be Protestant himself … as I have already said we represent only about 2% of the population, so why bother to know what we really think … ), the Catholic-Protestant communication is very hard if we and the Catholics base ourselves on the media …

[quote=Huguenot] the Catholic-Protestant communication is very hard if we and the Catholics base ourselves on the media …
[/quote]

That’s true, and the media in general is not great at explaining complex issues. They probably do better at conveying such things as quantum mechanics than they do at explaining theology. In many fields, including religion, it is critical to make distinctions. Newspaper journalism, and even less so TV news, is not geared to this.

[quote=Joe Kelley]As I recall there are blood stains on the shroud.

If ithe shroud is authentic, would these stains still be Jesus’ blood? If so,. would they not retain His divinity? If that were true then worship would be called for.
[/quote]

If the stains are remnants of Jesus blood, they would be relics of his body. They would not ‘retain’ his divinity. Divinity leaves no relics in the usual sense; so worship would still not be proper.

Some think that the Shroud, if genuine, might be more likely be considered a “relic” of the resurrection, the image having been created by a burst of radiant energy occurring at that moment. That would make it a material evidence of a miraculous event; but still not worthy of worship. Veneration, yes; worship, no.

[quote=sadie2723]Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I have a disturbing story to tell you. I was watching the Today show Sunday on NBC before goint to Mass. They were doing a story on the Shroud of Tourin in Torino, Italy in conjunction with the Olympics. It was an interesting piece up until the end. At the end of the message they stated the following:

Thanks.

Brad
[/quote]

This is a good example of the secular press and their infinit ignorance of why Christians venerate relics. They are pathetic.

Yes, God bless them, but even when they try, the media get things wrong. The problem is, b/c we see them report on diverse topics, we expect them to be experts. But they are just someone who got a degree in journalism, for the most part. Not to say there aren’t some very smart folks-we just can’t expect them to know everything.

[quote=StMarkEofE]This is a good example of the secular press and their infinit ignorance of why Christians venerate relics. They are pathetic.
[/quote]

Why do Christians venerate relics? What do you mean by venerate in this context?

[quote=Aquarius]Why do Christians venerate relics? What do you mean by venerate in this context?
[/quote]

We show honor and respect to things that have touched Christ or the saints, or are pieces of the saints. Why? Well, our faith is incarnational. God became man in Jesus Christ. The eternal God assumed human flesh, matter that is. Because of this we believe that the physical world had been redeemed and one day will be glorified in Christ Jesus as a reflection of the Creator. This is most true of things made holy by the touch of Christ (i.e. the shroud of turin) and of his holy saints who have served and followed him and lived a life in union with him. His holiness, sorta rubs off on them. And in honoring such things we are really honoring the almighty God whose reflection is seen in his saints and holy relics. This is not worship. All throughout history, worship of God has really been sacrifice. When Malchizadech wanted to worship God he offered the bread and wine sacrifice. When Abraham did, he sacrificed a ram. When The Israelites did, they were required to offer animal, bread, and wine sacrifices. When Christ, the great High Priest, offered the true worship, he sacrificed himself on the alter of the cross. Now that Christ appears forever before the Father as our great high priest, his sacrifice is ever before the father. And apostolic Chrisitians,(i.e. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox) take part in this sacrifice that is eternally before the Father, through the mass or Divine Liturgy, where the body and blood of Christ are re-presented to the Father. For this reason, Catholics refer to the mass as “The Holy Sacrifice”. It is in this Sacrifice that God recieves true worship. Since we offer no sacrifice to relics or the saints, it is clear that we do NOT worship them. But since we offer sacrifice to God, it is clear that we do worship him.

[quote=LatinCat]We show honor and respect to things that have touched Christ or the saints, or are pieces of the saints. Why? Well, our faith is incarnational. God became man in Jesus Christ. The eternal God assumed human flesh, matter that is. Because of this we believe that the physical world had been redeemed and one day will be glorified in Christ Jesus as a reflection of the Creator. This is most true of things made holy by the touch of Christ (i.e. the shroud of turin) and of his holy saints who have served and followed him and lived a life in union with him. His holiness, sorta rubs off on them. And in honoring such things we are really honoring the almighty God whose reflection is seen in his saints and holy relics. This is not worship. All throughout history, worship of God has really been sacrifice. When Malchizadech wanted to worship God he offered the bread and wine sacrifice. When Abraham did, he sacrificed a ram. When The Israelites did, they were required to offer animal, bread, and wine sacrifices. When Christ, the great High Priest, offered the true worship, he sacrificed himself on the alter of the cross. Now that Christ appears forever before the Father as our great high priest, his sacrifice is ever before the father. And apostolic Chrisitians,(i.e. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox) take part in this sacrifice that is eternally before the Father, through the mass or Divine Liturgy, where the body and blood of Christ are re-presented to the Father. For this reason, Catholics refer to the mass as “The Holy Sacrifice”. It is in this Sacrifice that God recieves true worship. Since we offer no sacrifice to relics or the saints, it is clear that we do NOT worship them. But since we offer sacrifice to God, it is clear that we do worship him.
[/quote]

Well Said!! :amen:

[quote=LatinCat]We show honor and respect to things that have touched Christ or the saints, or are pieces of the saints. Why? Well, our faith is incarnational. God became man in Jesus Christ. The eternal God assumed human flesh, matter that is. Because of this we believe that the physical world had been redeemed and one day will be glorified in Christ Jesus as a reflection of the Creator. This is most true of things made holy by the touch of Christ (i.e. the shroud of turin) and of his holy saints who have served and followed him and lived a life in union with him. His holiness, sorta rubs off on them. And in honoring such things we are really honoring the almighty God whose reflection is seen in his saints and holy relics. This is not worship. All throughout history, worship of God has really been sacrifice. When Malchizadech wanted to worship God he offered the bread and wine sacrifice. When Abraham did, he sacrificed a ram. When The Israelites did, they were required to offer animal, bread, and wine sacrifices. When Christ, the great High Priest, offered the true worship, he sacrificed himself on the alter of the cross. Now that Christ appears forever before the Father as our great high priest, his sacrifice is ever before the father. And apostolic Chrisitians,(i.e. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox) take part in this sacrifice that is eternally before the Father, through the mass or Divine Liturgy, where the body and blood of Christ are re-presented to the Father. For this reason, Catholics refer to the mass as “The Holy Sacrifice”. It is in this Sacrifice that God recieves true worship. Since we offer no sacrifice to relics or the saints, it is clear that we do NOT worship them. But since we offer sacrifice to God, it is clear that we do worship him.
[/quote]

OK. From that explanation, I’d say you might be using the word “worship” in a more limited manner than found in common usage. People might understand exactly what you are doing, and that falls under the common usage of worship.

I suspect this problem will continue until the word “worship” either spawns a few other more precise words, or until its meaning in common usage changes.

[quote=JimG]I think some of these kinds of statements are simply misunderstandings. For people who don’t worship anything, the Catholic distinctions between adoration, worship, veneration, and honor, are simply meaningless. You may be trying to explain the distinction, and they’re just thinking, “whatever.”
[/quote]

To make matters worse, these kinds of statements always tend to show up in pamphlets and brochures printed by anti-Catholic extremist groups to “prove” that Catholics worship almost anything - including the kitchen sink!

There are many gullible people out there who will harden their hearts even more towards the Catholic Church after hearing these things, misunderstandings or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.