Near Death Experiences

I thought it might be interesting to hear from Catholics and people of other faiths what they think about Near-Death Experiences.

I’ve posted a few links below to articles that touch on this subject:

examiner.com/article/profound-lessons-from-near-death-experiences

pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/02/16/near-death-experiences-a-new-take-on-life-part-1-sam-parnia-explains-where-the-field-is-leading/?singlepage=true

pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/02/23/what-if-they-gave-a-review-of-your-life-and-you-had-to-come/?singlepage=true

pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/03/02/introducing-a-deity-who-makes-sense/?singlepage=true

pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/03/09/near-death-experiences-a-new-take-on-life-part-4-brian-millers-case-challenges-the-skeptics/?singlepage=true

pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/03/16/near-death-experiences-a-new-take-on-life-part-5-can-god-and-evil-be-reconciled/?singlepage=true

My own opinion on the matter is that the brain has a major “dump” of all it’s endorphines, seratonins and other chemicals to ease the experience of death…in those last few minutes when our brain is overloaded with “feel good chemicals” we may experience a NDE. Are we really “dead”, no, once death has occured, there is no “coming back”…death IS FINAL.

NDE’s, I don’t believe, are actual experiences of the “afterlife”…it is a biological process and 'trick" of the brain that sometimes occurs during the trauma of death.

I’m inclined to believe that near death experiences are hallucinations brought on by lack of oxygen for the poor brain. It doesn’t make sense to me that you could cross the veil and then come right back.

Obviously this did happen miraculously when Jesus brought Lazarus back, to put forth one example, but let’s not forget that that was a miracle and not a random “his heart stopped beating for five minutes” situation.

What about veridical NDEs?

google.com/search?q=veridical+NDE&oq=veridical+NDE

We know that people in comas can be aware of their surroundings, but unable to communicater…I would suspect this is a similar phenomena of the amazing capability of the human brain.

And I don’t ever recall reading where Lazarus told stories of what it was like on the “other side”. God Bless, Memaw

I personally know two people with NDE. One of them which is the most compelling to me (this person was a radical atheist fully anti catholoc anti religion) defies every explanation of being a brain caused phenomenon so I do think that they are quite real.

No, no, no…

You guys all have it ALL wrong…

They are MOSTLY dead.

Is that a reference???
I’m dying.
Mostly :wink:

There slightly alive. Well with all dead there is only one thing you can do.
Go through their pockets and search for loose change.

There are examples of blind people being able to observe what is going on in the operating room during an NDE.

Is the human brain so amazing that it can see without eyes? If so, why only during such an experience?

Dodgy.

That’s a good point. These are near death experiences, not resurrection experiences. No one who has a NDE has actually died. If anything, I’d think they have been granted a private revelation to help them along the rest of their journey. I have an Uncle who swears, after his heart attack, that he felt intense heat and heard horrible screams of agony. Not your typical NDE.

I would prefer a Near Life Experience!!:smiley:

After Christ’s ressurection there were reportedly many (500) who rose from the dead. Being Jews, they would have been buried by sun down so they came out of their graves.

That’s a good point. These are near death experiences, not resurrection experiences. No one who has a NDE has actually died. If anything, I’d think they have been granted a private revelation to help them along the rest of their journey. I have an Uncle who swears, after his heart attack, that he felt intense heat and heard horrible screams of agony. Not your typical NDE.

Actually, distressing / hellish NDEs are not unusual at all.

So he wasn’t dead? Just because we haven’t heard his story doesn’t mean he didn’t say anything.

Apparently only 15% of all NDEs are frightening experiences and not all of these are similar to standard ideas of hell with heat or fire involved.

Here is a video of a NDE of Kenneth Hagin, a late Protestant TV evangelist
Kenneth E Hagin Testimony of Visiting Hell - Near Death Experience …
► 4:43► 4:43
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMMe-OkUI8
Apr 24, 2012 - Uploaded by taos000001
Kenneth E Hagin Testimony of Visiting Hell - Near Death Experience. - YouTube. Subscribe …

Perhaps he did go through such an experience, but I personally have some difficulty trusting his testimony - an evangelist preacher would have a personal agenda in telling such a story.

An ordinary layman usually will not have any reason to make things up…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.