Near Occasion of Mortal Sin

Hey all! This is my first post, but please bare with me. So, I have been struggling with scrupulosity for a couple of years. I think I have been improving a lot recently, but I am still unsure. So I went to Confession yesterday, and am wondering if I should go again tomorrow.

I was heading home and I. Was driving forward, aware of my surroundings. When I backed up, I quickly checked the rear view mirror, but I didn’t get a clear look. I decided to hurry and back up, which was probably a foot and drive forward, leaving the lot. Now, no one was around that I could have possibly hit, but was the possibility of hitting someone if someone were behind me a near occasion of mortal sin? I mean, I think it may have been unlikely that anyone were behind the car, but since I wasn’t sure and backed up, I am not sure if that would have been grave matter or if my scrupulosity is just acting up again. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will re-post an older post of mine

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles/rules to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Such is the age old practice in the Church.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? One keeps walking.

(image from a Carthusian writer from centuries ago).

As to counseling - that could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/) Some person with scrupulosity may yes also suffer from OCD - but the two are not simply equated.

Here is an article from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy…the-scrupulous

(re-posting another older post of mine)

Occasions of sin…

There are all sorts of remote occasions of sin in life…all sorts of possible good things that one can do --where there is a possibility that some temptation and occasion of sin may come.

Normally we are not “obliged” to avoid “remote” occasions of sin.

We simply cannot avoid all such things nor are we usually obliged to do so. We would have to knock ourselves unconscious…

What then is a “near” occasion of mortal sin that we are to avoid especially?

It is not simply temptation (though let us seek to avoid temptations).

A near occasion of mortal sin is such where one would generally falls into mortal sin -one generally commits a mortal sin (or even always!)–or is what is likely to cause one to commit a particular mortal sin now. Due to the nature of thing itself or ones particular personal weakness.

Though there can at times be good reasons to be in them…ones confessor can guide one or those that cannot be avoided (involuntary) (necessary occasions…which one still tries to make more remote…)

Those are general principles one can apply. Ones confessor can guide one. In specifics.

So can it be sinful to put oneself into a near occasion of mortal sin? Or remain in one? Yes. (it may be venial sin to do so or mortal or yes even not a sin depending on the reasons and particular danger…talk with your confessor about this).

A clear example of when such would be a mortal sin could be -(with full knowledge and deliberate consent) when I am morally certain that if I put myself into circumstance Y that I will commit mortal sin Z. And I do so with that needed knowledge and consent for a mortal sin.

Ones confessor can advise…

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

395. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
396. When does one commit a venial sin?**

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

See the above - a regular confessor is the age old practice with one with scruples. Best to not post questions on forums (though I hope the above posts are helpful for the future ;)) for you can get all sorts of answers - and really it is your confessor who should guide you and who can give you even general principles to follow outside of confession.

What did you judge at that moment? That it was fine (even if you should have judged differently?)?

Did you perhaps act without realization -but then later start fearing…“hey I think I should have been more careful”…?

See what is involved in committing a mortal sin above.

Thank you! Your posts helped a lot! I appreciate your willingness to help and advice! :thumbsup:forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif:)

Please be careful when backing up. It is very easy to hit something if you are not fully aware of what is behind you. Things just seem to appear out of nowhere, especially in parking lots.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.