Near occasion, or sin?

Are near occasions of sin actually sin?

I don’t really understand the distinction, and maybe I don’t understand because the distinction is razor thin, perhaps. For example, if someone chooses to sleep in the same bed as their significant other, but nothing sexual happens, is that committing a sin? Or, if I’m a violent alcoholic and choose to eat dinner regularly at the neighborhood Bar & Grill though I consume no alcohol, is that committing a sin?

I think it depends… if you KNOW that this might be an occasion of sin for you, and you still knowingly and wilfully choose to do it, I think that’s a sin. (in that case, the sin would be wilfully putting yourself in a situation where you might be tempted)

If you just find yourself in a situation like that, without having chosen it, you’re not sinning at all.

Hi, and thanks for replying.

Something just seems bizarre about that: it’s a sin to willfully put yourself in a situation where you might be tempted. I’m not saying you’re wrong, it just seems bizarre, that’s all. You’re tempted to sin so you sin by tempting yourself. Again, it just seems razor thin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.