Nearly 100,000 Pennsylvania Voters Switch From Democrat To Republican

HARRISBURG (KDKA) – Nearly 100,000 Pennsylvania Democrats have switched to Republican since the beginning of the year.

What’s more: The Pennsylvania Republican party says more than 240-thousand new voters have joined the party since last November.

The state Republican party says that the surge in Republican registrations is nearly twice the number of newly registered Republicans compared to both the 2008 and 2012 numbers combined.

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/10/12/nearly-100000-pennsylvania-voters-switch-from-democrat-to-republican/

There’s certainly a lot support for Trump in Western PA

This is why long knives are out to get trump from all sides.

Western Pennsylvania is the heart of fracked natural gas country.

The western and central geographic area was nearly destitute.

And then they discovered natural gas in the shale rock formation about five thousand feet deep.

They used 3-D seismic studies and horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing.

They produced so much natural gas that in Pittsburgh, they had to build a high rise office building just to process the paperwork.

A very few counties now produce the major part of natural gas used in the whole United States.

So much natural gas is being produced that the price dropped from around $15 in 2008 down to around $3 today.

So much natural gas is being produced that the pipelines had to be reversed … so that instead of importing natural gas from the Southwest of the United States, they are now exporting natural gas to the whole eastern part of the United States.

Natural gas produced good-paying jobs.

So much natural gas is being produced in Pennsylvania, that they are able to use natural gas to power gas turbines to generate electricity to replace the coal-fired generators.

The “Southern Tier” of New York State has similar huge deposits of shale natural gas … Mrs. Clinton promised jobs, jobs, jobs for New York State. SHE DID NOTHING. Between Governor Cuomo of New York State and then-Senator Clinton of New York State, THEY DID NOTHING. The area still does not produce fracked natural gas.

Meanwhile ten feet to the south in Pennsylvania, natural gas is flowing in abundance.

Mrs. Clinton is adamantly opposed to fracking, mining, mining companies, and miners.

Mr. Trump is fully supportive of all forms of American energy including natural gas.

That doesn’t necessarily mean as much as it appears. These switches were from “the beginning of the year” and Pennsylvania is a closed primary state. A lot of people in such states switched parties on paper just because the Republican primary was more up in the air and their vote could (seemingly) have more impact. And they had to register as Republicans in order to vote the Republican primary.

I’d be curious to see how many of these switches happened after the primary.

According to the State of Pennsylvania, voter turnout in 2012 was 5,753,670. The article cited above does say that 97,607 registered Democrats switched to Republican. It also says that 38,020 Republicans switched to Democrat. That is a net gain in party registrations of 59,587 for the Republicans, or about 1% of the voter turnout. Keep in mind also that many people vote without registering with either party. All this statistic shows is that the Republican base is more energized than the Democratic base. It remains to be seen if that enthusiasm can be translated to the independent voters.

Friend back east says dems are changing to give appearance to less committed Republicans that they don’t need to vote.

Yep, that’s what my husband and I did, and many other people we know.

Its not good news. Its bad news. A large number of these “switches” are dyed in the wool democrats who wanted to vote in the republican primary in order to put Trump up. It worked, and we ended up with an unelectable nominee.

I noticed that a lot of people jumping on the “Trump Train” were not concerned about conservative and moral issues, rather their concern was mostly economical and feeling frustration over the Democrats not having helped the poor get any better, especially in areas like Chicago.

If all the people who are concerned about the future of our country preserving our freedoms and rights would have the courage to vote or write in a respectable third party candidate he could really be the trump of the nation. Yes, it sometimes takes courage to do the right thing.

Right: PA is a closed primary state, so to “vote out” a candidate in a primary, you’d have to be in his/her party.

As for fracking–my in-laws live in a fracking part of the state. I asked if they’ve seen much in the way of changes. My father-in-law said, “Well…the crime rate is up.” :shrug:

I know Pennsylvania people who support Trump. They’re not racists, or misogynists, they don’t hate Muslims, they don’t hate Mexicans. And I don’t think they particularly like Trump. But he’s Not Hillary. Plain and simple. They feel they’ve been increasingly marginalized over the past 15-20 years for their religion, their beliefs, their attitudes, (which aren’t hateful or mean), and they’ve been culturally backed into a corner by national elites–whether the elites are Democrats or Republicans, conservatives or liberals, journalists or pundits, entertainers or scholars.

I don’t think these Pennsylvanian’s *like *Trump and his “policies,” (whatever they turn out to be); what he offers his supporters is a champion in the culture wars.

Believe it or not this is the map of Pennsylvania for the 2012 Presidential election. Republican/red, Democrat/blue.

Obama did take the state, but it appears the darkest blue counties are near Philadelphia in this map.

That being the case, I wonder if Archbishop Chaput’s recent articles criticizing the Obama administration’s policies targeting the Church have had any influence in the voter registration changes.

I doubt it. The darkest blue is the City/County of Philadelphia. That’s pure urban blue. It’s not going red in our lifetimes.

It would be interesting to see where the party switches were.

Good for them. Now if only they had a Republican to vote for! :wink:

You should have started your “Vote 3rd Party Campaign” 4 years ago … if you are really serious - get going now for the next presidential election … there is virtually no way to make that happen in this election …

But that is what I hear every 4 years - dis-satisfaction with the two parties and a push to go third party … in reality - this is usually [not saying you] a push by a primary loser to split the vote and thereby deny their primary opponent a victory [sour grapes] or one of the two parties - where they try to get votes they know wont come to them directly to split the vote that would got to their opponent …

So of you really want a viable third party then get your time, effort and money behind one of the existing minor parties or start a new one … but it takes time, effort and money … - to get an idea of the time it take … look at the Independent Party - founded in the late 1960s … all of the minor parties - not once have had a showing at the Presidential level … and struggle to have wins at the local let alone national level…

So start now … but if you don’t work now - and make a difference - no serious voter is going to go down this road …

A new Bloomberg Politics poll shows Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by 9 points in Pennsylvania, and the Democrat holding a massive 28-point advantage among voters in the Philadelphia suburbs.

mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-new-poll-shows-wide-margin-for-clinton-in-philly-suburbs-20161013-story.html

I read where the Clinton campaign has spent $6,000,000.00 for people to go to social media and persuade people to support Hillary. I often wondered if Obama did the same thing during his two elections because once the election was over some posters on CAF never returned. I wonder how many paid Clinton workers have infiltrated CAF this election.

Clearly they always try to put Hillary as the one who is going to win hands down.

I guess we will have to wait until November to see what happens in Pennsylvania.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you make this comparison, and based on your support for Clinton, is it safe to presume you’d be just fine with whomever wins the election, whether Trump or Clinton?

This is probably the more probable reason.

That’s been my complaint. He spent so long being a Democrat, most of the time he still acts and talks like one. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.