Nearly half of countries are producing too few babies to maintain their populations, say researchers

I don’t think that’s it.

Women have been putting off marriage & having kids for one for career & education. By the time they get serious about marriage & family the ideal time to have kids has passed. I think that many assume they can have it all & have kids after 35, but when that time comes, they realize only too late that their time has passed.

Women have adopted the use of contraception to delay onset of pregnancy, but in so doing, sometimes they mess with their fertility.

Women have undergone abortions in the US, & that, too, can affect fertility, along with any sexually transmitted diseases.

Of course I believe Jesus. I also believe him when he commands prudence and planning. See Luke 14:28. The verse you cited seems to me to be a command not to let worried blind you to Gods presence in the moment, not a command to act irresponsibly contrary to the reason God gave us.

The Bible also commands us not to overtax the land (see Leviticus 25:4) and such a command would be nonsensical if it wasn’t possible to overuse our resources.

If your eye causes you to sin, poke it out and get rid of it .
And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away.
Do you take these literally?

Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?

Luke 24:18

The two verses are not incompatible.

Babies aren’t a sign of irresponsibility. Wasting water is. There is a difference between responsibly using resources and wasting them. That is the point I am trying to make. Everyone is so caught up in the overpopulation belief that they choose not to see how the majority of resources are being gobbled up and wasted by a small percentage of individuals. Those individuals are the ones pushing their agenda that we are going to run out of water, oil, whatever soon but what are they doing to curb their waste? It’s the greed of a few individuals while blaming the families of the rest, and they make many others believe it’s true.

It is good to prudently plan out how we will use what God has given us. Wasting and them passing the blame to others is not prudently planning. It is selfish.

Used water may end up in the ocean. And that brings us to desalination.

Desalination has many harmful effects.
It burns up many more fossil fuels
It contributes to global warming
It kills millions of plankton, fish eggs, fish larvae and other microbial organisms that constitute the base layer of the marine food chain.
The salty sludge leftover after desalinization can wreak havoc on marine ecosystems if dumped offshore.
See: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-impacts-of-relying-on-desalination/

Not enough to grow lettuce at a profit.

I don’t disagree that people should conserve more. What I don’t understand is how you can hold these two beliefs simultaneously: “we should conserve more” and “our resources will never run out.” If our resources will never run out, why should we bother to conserve? Waste all the water and oil you want.

You and I might quibble on what the number of the unsustainable tipping point is. I’m just trying to see if we can agree that there is, in fact, some number. I mean, to get real weird with it, surely you’d agree that 100 trillion people could not survive on Earth?

Yea of little Faith…

We shall go to the stars. Humanity is meant to fill the Cosmos. Earth is only the beginning.

Maybe I make rain for you late next week.

Or space stations.

Ok this is frustrating. I had a post typed out and lost it somehow. I don’t have time to retype it at the moment but will attempt to find time this evening. You asked a very good question and deserve a response.

Ah yeah, I hear ya. That is annoying.

How would you do that? Indians used smoke, and now with the fires California has plenty of smoke, much much more smoke than is needed. But i don’t see any rain.
Let us know your method of making rain.

Hollywood knows how to do it.

Nice. This seems like a possible solution to the problem of burning fossil fuels. But there still are problems:
The cost of water from solar desalination is four times the cost using the typical desalination method.
And i don’t see how this method would prevent the damage to millions of plankton, fish eggs, fish larvae and other microbial organisms. What are you going to do with the salty leftover sludge?

Dump it in the desert :cactus: :dromedary_camel::camel::dromedary_camel:

Why are we even discussing what would happen if the world ended up being overpopulated when it’s not going to happen? Let me reiterate, with the currents rates and trends, no projection shows overpopulation will happen.

We frankly don’t know. It could 20 years old as far as we know.
Is there a point? People in Canada can marry at 16 with parental permission.

I am not sure about that. I think that some projections do show overpopulation.

Cite them please because none I’ve seen show such a thing. By 2100, the consensus is it will be no higher than 12 billion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.