Nebraska Legislature moves forward in abortion bill

omaha.com/article/20100409/NEWS01/704099839/1009#neb-abortion-bill-gets-2nd-ok

That is something positive to pray for. :thumbsup:

According to the article, the law would prohibit abortion after the 20th week. The justification is based upon the (disputed) idea of pain felt by the fetus, rather than being based on viability of the fetus outside the womb. This makes the Nebraska law unique.

The proposed law is aimed at shutting down the practice of Dr. LeRoy Carhart, one of the few late term abortion providers in the nation.
beatricedailysun.com/news/state-and-regional/article_16abb25d-0e90-5342-a6b6-bea6f2829f7e.html

It's always nice that my state usually seems to get these things right.

While this is definitely a move in the right direction, it certainly is not enough. All abortions need to be banned. And when I say this, I mean that even abortifacient methods of birth control need to be banned because of the possibility of them aborting a newly conceived child. I know that medical science says that pregnancy does not begin until the implantation of the zygote in to the uterus but the fact is, a pregnancy begins at the very moment that the sperm meets the egg and fertilizes the egg.

The structure and wording of this statute are brilliant. By its terms, it has the capability of drastically narrowing the impact of Roe v. Wade by using medical and scientific advances to sharpen the teeth of the compelling government interest prong of the constitutional strict scrutiny analysis. Well done, Nebraska! Well done.

As advocates for the unborn, we need to be sure to support legislation like this, taking care not to let the perfect become the enemy of the good. This legislation has the potential to save more lives than a law banning all abortions, because it works with the constitutional framework rather than ignoring it, and could remain on the books even after a challenge.

The reason why this statute has the power to do real work is because it’s narrowly tailored. I smell a test case brewing, primed for judicial fire. Time will tell if it withstands the heat. If it does: hip, hip, hooray!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.