Nebraska Safe-Haven Law Permits Parents to Abandon Teens

Do not know what to make of this:

Nebraska Safe-Haven Law Permits Parents to Abandon Teens

OMAHA, Neb. — Nebraska’s new safe-haven law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.

While lawmakers may not have intended it, the month-old law raises the possibility that frustrated parents could drop off misbehaving teens or even severely disabled older children with impunity.

Full Story

And, before the usual suspects post the “shoot the messenger” comments, this is a AP article.

Well, it’s no good then, until the BBC posts a similar article. :stuck_out_tongue:

:bigyikes:
I think that is horrible!!
How sad and sick that a child of any age can just be dropped off, how insane do we have to get? Why don’t people wake up and take responsibility for their children??
(Now, if a person was considering abortion but went ahead and had the baby then I can understand, but a child that you are raising and suppose to be loving and taking care of, how horrible.)
To me its even horrible that anyone would drop off an infant, but because some teen’s in the past were dumping them in garbage, etc…, then, I understand that this would be much better.
This whole thing just makes me ill.

i agree that it is a sick person that could abandon a child. but i still voted yes because the child has been given life and its better that they be given up somewhere safe that they can be cared for than just left on the side of the orad like a dog.

I voted “maybe” for the same reason.

I’ve read this in a few places peregrinus so I’ve had time to think about the issue. It’s problematic to me that our society allows parents to shirk their responsibility to their children. It places additional burden on society but it takes a bigger toll, I think, on children.

On the other hand, if keeping children with their parents means endangering children then it’s best to let the parents give up the children.

Finally, God calls us to care for those neglected.

I’m not sure quite what to make if this either but I’m clear that Christians must be willing to accept the responsibility that laws of this type thrust upon them.

Thanks for posting

Decided to put my thoughts on this on my blog under:Our Throwaway Society is Expanding
I see some real dangers in this.

Christians must be willing to do what? I say Christians should be willing to challenge state sponsored insanity. Abusive relationships are one thing, involving sometimes complex psychological issues, but this is just reason number 243 to let parents dump their problem teenager into the system. So where does the teenager go after getting dumped? Who are they going to trust?

Peace,
Ed

Matthew 25: 41 – 46. Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger and you took me not in: naked and you covered me not: sick and in prison and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen: I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

Which abandoned child is Jesus not talking about in the passage above?

It sounds like back to the drawing board during the next session to clarify some of the language.

The lawmakers are creating a problem, not solving one. In the article, a professional made it clear that this goes against all rational ideas related to child welfare.

God bless,
Ed

I agree that the lawmakers are creating a problem here. So we have a problem. As long as there is a problem, which we may try to remedy in the statehouse, for a Christian the solution Jesus commanded is clear.

to me, this is just an extension of the day care problem. (yes, there are legitimate reasons for day care) but most children in are there because mommy and daddy had something better to do. some of the lines i’ve heard, “my career is really important to me” “we can’t afford to live on one salary” (an engineer’s salary!!!) and the one that really gets me is the woman who has a job where she can work at home and she still puts the children in day care. but the kids really like being in daycare. really? then why do they behave one way in day care and another way at home? the kids know that they are just being shuffled around in the system and so they make life even more demanding and difficult on the parent who is already tired from a day at work. and then at some point this overly tired parent cracks and they want to dump the kid.

It’s a good law…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

For many years my husband and I took in troubled teen and family groups of children to care for. The first two were 6 and 8 years old and yes they were abandoned at our home. Long story.

There needs to be a safety net for the children and the parents in our society. For like it or not many children are abandoned or run away every day in this country for many reasons.

This is not new look when Boy’s Town was created and the kids that were put on trains to be shipped to other parts of the country as “adoptees” and many were just slave labor.

This law will not make people abandon them. This law just might save many of them from lives we can’t even imagine. So yes our society is a throw away society and yes this might just save one child or young person from the streets and or death.

I don’t know who this we you are referring to is. If a solution is not a good one then it is no solution. Here is an example:

“I’m leaving my 16 year old here because he just won’t listen to me. I have to work. I’m a single mother. I’ve tried everything. He stays out till all hours, dropped out of school, smokes dope, talks back. He’s lazy. He won’t get a job. He’s been picked up by the police twice for shoplifting. I can’t take it anymore. Here. You take him.”

God bless,
Ed

I believe that leaving him/her at a safe place is better then just kicking them out. The sad fact of our society is many kids just get kicked out with no help for them or their parent.

If you ignore the spin of the news article and take time to read the law, you will find the following text (emphasis mine):

“No person shall be prosecuted for any crime based solely upon the act of leaving a child in the custody of an employee on duty at a hospital licensed by the State of Nebraska. The hospital shall promptly contact appropriate authorities to take custody of the child.”

Obviously, the untested law does not immediately erase parental custody. It simply allows a parent to leave a child in the custody of a hospital without being guilty of abandonment. It goes on to say the hospital must then contact the appropriate authorities, which in the case of older children, would be the same foster programs that already exist.

The hospital becomes a connection for parents to the social services their children need. A very small child, unable to identify themselves become a ward of the state and are eventually adopted. Older children would be turned over to the appropriate social service where the matter could be sorted out.

Once again, the media writes a teaser story title that even the body of the story doesn’t support.

Nohome

Exactly. I think the same person who would abandon their troubled teen at the safe-havens, would more than likely kick them out of their home. The safe-havens actually give us Catholics a great opportunity for charity. Whether we are talking about infants or teens, it could be that the best thing that happens to these kids is for them to be away from their parents. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.