Need a good Chicago parish!

Hey everybody,

Those of you who have followed Kendy’s posts will have read that she is thinking of “coming home”. She needs our prayers, but just as important she needs a recommendation of a good, solid orthodox parish in Chicago, one that’s on fire.

Moderators: I know this isn’t the correct forum, but since Kendy has been participating here would it be OK to leave this here?

St. John Cantius

cantius.org/

Offers the Tridentine Mass as well as the Pauline Mass in Latin and English.

[quote=Sherlock]Hey everybody,

Those of you who have followed Kendy’s posts will have read that she is thinking of “coming home”. She needs our prayers, but just as important she needs a recommendation of a good, solid orthodox parish in Chicago, one that’s on fire.

Moderators: I know this isn’t the correct forum, but since Kendy has been participating here would it be OK to leave this here?
[/quote]

Yeah I guess so.

You guys take good care of the lady…or else. :wink:

[quote=Fidei Defensor]St. John Cantius

cantius.org/

[/quote]

What is a Tridentine Mass? What is a Pauline Mass?

Kendy

Tridentine Mass is the older style “Latin Mass”, many people like it because of many personal reasons. I like it because it feels very authentic and old school.

I don’t know anything about the Pauline Mass. or maybe I do, I just don’t know it yet.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=Fidei Defensor]St. John Cantius

cantius.org/

[/quote]

I have heard good things about this parish.

Saint Mary of the Angels Church
1850 N Hermitage Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622
(Corner of Hermitage and Cortland)
Office: (773) 278-2644
Fax: (773) 278-8904
Email: stmary@flash.net

It is run by Opus Dei Priests and the Church looks as if it belongs in Rome. A Catholic cannot beat its orthodoxy.

I should also mention, Kendy, that many programs for the poor are at the diocesan level as well as at the parish level. It shouldn’t be hard to get involved.

Here’s the website of the Archdiocese: archdiocese-chgo.org/ Looks interesting.

Definitely St. John Cantius.

I do believe that you would be surprised with the level of sacramental life in this kind of parish, and the activities and involvement. You will also get the fullness of the faith, not just the “feel good” stuff. This is what brings about God-pleasing changes and true joy.

My parish, Assumption Grotto in Detroit, and another in the suburbs here, Ss Cyril & Methodius, are both orthdox (meaning true to the faith) and they are just hopping with activity - sacramental and social. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Grotto is open all day long, every day. They only close it a few hours each night. People are constantly stopping in and praying. Confession is readily available and contrary to what some make it out to be, can be an awesome source for spiritual direction, especially if you are lucky enough to experience confession with a few priests, then stick with the one that challenged you to sanctity the way you felt you needed it.

People really get together at my parish and I see the same at Ss Cyril & Methodius. I have heard similar things from others at such orthodox parishes. Priests go out of their way to get involved with people. The sacrifices they make to work with the flock are very noticeable.

I’m willing to bet you would find the homilies at St. John Cantius very interesting and unlike anything you’ve heard elsewhere. Try it some time and see if these speak to your heart. Can’t hurt.

:blessyou:

In our Lord!

I’m praying for you Kendy! I became Catholic last Easter. It was THE VERY BEST thing that I’ve ever done in my life. I hope you’re able to someday say the same! :slight_smile:

Blessings to you!
CM

[quote=scylla]I don’t know anything about the Pauline Mass. or maybe I do, I just don’t know it yet.
[/quote]

It is also known as the Novus Ordo, this is the current missal being celebrated in the Latin/Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.

St. John Cantius is my parish.
It’s wonderful, and completely Catholic. No surprises in this Church.
It also has a nice cafe downstairs where everyone meets up after Mass.
The priests are phenomenal, the Mass is completely reverent and the choirs (all 7) are unbelievable.
They perform works by Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, etc.
(I have also been to St. Mary of the Angels. It’s gorgeous, and has great priests as well.)

[/quote]

Since the Chicago area is so large, do you mean the city itself or one of the many suburbs?

Peace,
javelin

Go to St. John Cantius - the priests are good friends of mine and are wonderful. And if you see Fr. Brendon Gibson tell him that I said hi.

Kandy:

Great!!! Virtual hugs and Welcome Home!

I have to second TJP St. Mary of the Angels in Hermitage. I go to Chicago 3-4x a year and say hello to friends at the Opus Dei center there. They run the Midtown program for innercity boys there too. Orthodox to the max. You’ll love it.

in XT.

Those of you who have followed Kendy’s posts will have read that she is thinking of “coming home”.
[/quote]

:: drop dead with awe ::

Hi, Kendy!

I truly pray that you find a parish home in our Chicago area that fulfills your spiritual needs.

As an aside, may I offer to you an opportunity to experience our Catholicism from a unique perspective. The Chicago area is fortunate to be home to one of the most vibrant Eastern Catholic parishes in the country - Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic parish in Homer Glen (about 30 minutes southwest of the City)…

byzantinecatholic.com/

Although the liturgical traditions celebrated at this Eastern Catholic parish are quite different from either the Tridentine or Novus Ordo Mass you may be used to as a Latin Catholic, please understand that this parish is fully Catholic, in full communion with Rome. As such, any Catholic is absolutely free (and encouraged!) to participate in the Divine Liturgy and, if properly disposed, receive Our Lord in the Mystery of Holy Communion… and, yes, your attendance would “count” toward your Sunday obligation! :wink:

Even if Catholicism from the Eastern perspective does not offer you the “home” you are seeking, a visit to this open and welcoming parish will certainly enhance your overall perspective as a member of Our Lord’s Catholic faithful… in my opinion a convenient, worthwhile “field trip” for any Chicago-area Catholic!

St. Mary of th Angels and St. John Cantius are both on the North Side, near I-90/94. Both are wonderful Churches. I have gone to St. Mary’s on occaision, and I think they recently finished a long restoration of the Church. Now that is a Church. It’s huge, old style design and beautiful.

However, Chicago being a big city, if you’re not on the North side here ( I can see St. John’s from the window outside my cubicle, as I work close to there), it may not be all that easy to get too.

What area specifically are we looking at?
Southwest side, North side, southside Northern burbs, NW burbs, Western burbs?

Annunciation Byzantine Catholic is a good hour away from St. Marys in Homer Glen in the far SW suburbs. It is a beautiful Church, and one I recommend to experience the Byzantine rite.

Aquinas,

I used to volunteer at Midtown back 10 years ago now in 1994/1995 in the evening program for boys in 5th/6th grade in the mentoring program.

I haven’t been there in a while, but it is a great place.

Fr. Charles is a great priest. I don’t know if he’s still there.
I lost track of everyone there when I left the Catholic Church in 1996 and went on a few years of living an immoral lifestyle before I came back in early 2002.

[quote=Dan-Man916]St. Mary of th Angels and St. John Cantius are both on the North Side, near I-90/94. Both are wonderful Churches. I have gone to St. Mary’s on occaision, and I think they recently finished a long restoration of the Church. Now that is a Church. It’s huge, old style design and beautiful.

I live in the South Side…Hyde Park to be exact.

Kendy
However, Chicago being a big city, if you’re not on the North side here ( I can see St. John’s from the window outside my cubicle, as I work close to there), it may not be all that easy to get too.

What area specifically are we looking at?
Southwest side, North side, southside Northern burbs, NW burbs, Western burbs?

Annunciation Byzantine Catholic is a good hour away from St. Marys in Homer Glen in the far SW suburbs. It is a beautiful Church, and one I recommend to experience the Byzantine rite.
[/quote]

I live in the South Side…Hyde Park to be exact.

Kendy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.