need a little advise about homeschooling curriculum

I have 2 boys:) that have always attended catholic schools. However this year i am homeschooling. My oldest is a sophomore this year. Now last yr he had taken all honors and did very well. He is hoping for a career in the medical field. I am not sure of the which way i should be going about this. There is Seton which gives you a diploma and Life pac which doesnt. Does anyone know or have any past experiences in the area. Thank You for listening :confused:

Probably the wrong forum. Catholic living would be better.

seton is great, they also offer scholarships

I have used Seton for 2 years now, just starting my 3rd year. I love them because they are a Catholic homeschooling curriculum. Life Pac is a Protestant provider. I don’t have any 1st hand knowledge of them, but have heard that in the upper levels that you will run into anti-Catholic material. To be up front, Seton uses some protestant providers for their highschool science. Many of us are or are going to change the normal science that they send with enrollment to a different science that they will accempt as an independent study. Don’t get me wrong. Seton is great! It is just that they are trying to keep costs down since most of us live on 1 income, and there are not Catholic highschool science books out there.

Now, for alternatives, there are Kolbe, St. Thomas Aquinas, Our Lady of the Rosary, Our Lady of Victory, Catholic Heritage Curriculum (although the majority of their stuff is for the younger grades), and I can’t remember the rest. So, I looked up a website to refer you to.

catholichomeschool.org/curriculums.php

seton is our number one choice. they also offer scholarships. check with your diocese ours offer home school programs under catholic private schools, so my kids will get the same diploma that they receive by private school. give seton a look, they will send you info and trial work to look at. hope this helps

I have serious problems with their science curriculum. They tout the line of creationists in their science texts. There is even a CD listed in the curriculum talking about how evolution is a hoax or something like that. I looked at the table of contents of one of the high school science texts, and they have a whole chapter devoted to flood geology and attempts to discredit evolution.

I’m sorry, but I think Catholics should be ashamed that a Catholic homeschooling curriculum contains such garbage.

I strongly advise against using this curriculum. Certainly find an alternate science curriculum - one that teaches SCIENCE.

Consider the following. You can find the entire text here:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20040723_communion-stewardship_en.html

1. The endeavor to understand the universe has marked human culture in every period and in nearly every society. In the perspective of the Christian faith, this endeavor is precisely an instance of the stewardship which human beings exercise in accordance with God’s plan. Without embracing a discredited concordism, Christians have the responsibility to locate the modern scientific understanding of the universe within the context of the theology of creation. The place of human beings in the history of this evolving universe, as it has been charted by modern sciences, can only be seen in its complete reality in the light of faith, as a personal history of the engagement of the triune God with creaturely persons.

63.** According to the widely accepted scientific account, the universe erupted 15 billion years ago in an explosion called the “Big Bang” and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Later there gradually emerged the conditions necessary for the formation of atoms, still later the condensation of galaxies and stars, and about 10 billion years later the formation of planets. In our own solar system and on earth (formed about 4.5 billion years ago), the conditions have been favorable to the emergence of life. While there is little consensus among scientists about how the origin of this first microscopic life is to be explained, there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5-4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution. While the story of human origins is complex and subject to revision, physical anthropology and molecular biology combine to make a convincing case for the origin of the human species in Africa about 150,000 years ago in a humanoid population of common genetic lineage. However it is to be explained, the decisive factor in human origins was a continually increasing brain size, culminating in that of homo sapiens. With the development of the human brain, the nature and rate of evolution were permanently altered: with the introduction of the uniquely human factors of consciousness, intentionality, freedom and creativity, biological evolution was recast as social and cultural evolution.**

Seeing how this science curriculum does not provide a fully modern scientific understanding of the universe and the history of life, I cannot see how you could use it in good conscience. It certainly wouldn’t prepare them for a science degree at any reputable university.

And regardless of what this document from the Vatican says, teaching this pseudo-science junk to one’s children is, in my mind, the pinnacle of intellectual dishonesty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.