Need a little help from our friends

Does the word kerygma in New Testament?

If so, how?

Also, these are really fundamental questions, but I do not have the time or energy or talent to get the answers and get them quickly.

How many words do we use in theology (theology might be one of them) that are not in the Bible. Caveat, I believe these words to be good and most helpful.

Example: Person, used of God, et cetera.

THANKS!

God bless!

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach (kerygmatos) to save those who believe. (1 Cor 1:21)

and at the proper time manifested in his word through the preaching (kerygmati) with which I have been entrusted by command of God our Savior; (Titus 1:3)

Todd
thanks!!!

Some words/prhases not explicitly stated in the Bible: trinity, incarnation, the two natures of Christ, assumption, etc. are not in the Bible, but the concepts are.

It is important to understand that the Bible is not to be read literalistically (which is not the same thing as literally). If you haven’t read what the CCC has to say about biblical interpretation, you will want to read this:

The four ways of interpreting Scripture: #s 115-119.

The senses of Scripture
115 According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.
116 The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: "All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal."83
117 The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God’s plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.

1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ’s victory and also of Christian Baptism.84
  2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written “for our instruction”.85
  3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, “leading”). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.86
    118 A medieval couplet summarizes the significance of the four senses:
    The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith;
    The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny.87

119 "It is the task of exegetes to work, according to these rules, towards a better understanding and explanation of the meaning of Sacred Scripture in order that their research may help the Church to form a firmer judgment. For, of course, all that has been said about the manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgment of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God."88
But I would not believe in the Gospel, had not the authority of the Catholic Church already moved me.89

Della:

I agree totally.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Can you recall other terms, I would never of thought of Incarnation or Assumption or even the Two Natures of Jesus Christ.

A million thank yous!!!

Rather than giving you more examples, I think it would be more productive for you understand why the Church uses terms not used in the Bible. :slight_smile:

Along with what I’ve already written about the Bible and its place in Sacred Tradition, it must be understood that Sacred Tradition is not static. Through the Magisterium of the Church it must deal with issues as they arise. Acts 15 is a good example of this. Remember, there were no NT writings when the First Council of Jerusalem convened to deal with matters having to do with issues that arose from the conversion of Gentiles to the Faith. They didn’t define doctrine/dogma at that council but they did make decisions regarding faith and morals, which is the right and duty of the Magisterium (all the bishops in union with the pope–who happened to be Peter at the time).

Most of the terms the Church uses that don’t appear in the Bible come from councilar decisions, such as Mary, Mother of God (Theotokos), and so on. Other terms are merely definitions for the sake of clarity, such as transubstantiation. Both of these concepts have their origins in Scripture, but they are not explicitly stated in Scripture because at the time the NT was written neither were issues the Church was then dealing with.

No term used by the Church is contrary to Scripture, rather they are rooted in Scripture as well as the constant teaching of the Church, which is Christ’s own teachings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.