Need a question idea for my Religion class trivia

So, I am writing up a Jeopardy game for my Highschool RE class. It is mostly consisting of recap questions from what we learned this past year. I am making the Final Jeopardy question (basically you bet points you have and if you are right, the amount of points you bet doubles) something that is different, so there is a challenge. I need a question of reasonable difficulty, but not quite extreme difficulty. The question can be anything dealing with the Catholic Church and it’s religion and history.

Thanks in advance,
Rykuu

ps. It is due by this Sunday.

Go here…
Lots of great ones (from Karl Keating)

proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=worlds-toughest-catholic-quiz-based-on-karl-keating

Question:

Was Mary, Mother of God, an unwed mother?

Answer:

No, she was married…to Joseph. We need to understand the marriage customs of the times.

There were three states of a marriage in the Bible:
Stage 1: signing the “ketubbah” contract (Creating the marriage bond)
i. The bride would chose her husband and her father would sign a legal contract with him called a “ketubbah”.

ii.      Once this is signed the couple is 100% married but do not have sex yet.

iii.      Young children were often married, (arraigned marriage) but did not consummate until of age.

Stage 2: The “chuppah”: sexual consummation.
i. Up to 7 years later, the groom is able to raise the money as set out in the ketubbah contract and notifies the father of the bride, who then sets a date to consummate the marriage at the bride’s home.

ii.      The bride waits with her maidens, for the arrival of the groom and his companions.

iii.      The couple enters the chuppah room and consummates the marriage while the companions of the bride and groom wait and celebrate outside or in the next room.

iv.      The groom hands the bloodied "proof of virginity cloth" to the witnesses chosen by the bride's parents, who then give it to the bride for safekeeping.

Stage 3: The wedding feast
i. After consummation, the entire wedding party walks to the house of the groom in a procession for a wedding feast.

ii.      At the conclusion of the wedding feast, the couple has completed the ancient ritual of marriage.

There was no “wedding ceremony” in the synagogue in the first century, performed under a canopy where the bride and groom would hold hands and say, “I do” before an audience of friends and family. This didn’t develop for hundreds of years after Jesus died on the cross as the Passover lamb for the sins of mankind.

Remember, Joseph was thinking of quietly divorcing Mary. How do you divorce someone unless you are married to her?

Here’s a few:

[LIST]
*]In the Old Testament, who was Samuel’s mother?
*]Who was the Old Testament priest who taught Samuel to pray, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening”?
*]From which of Israel’s 12 tribes did King Saul come from?
*]Which 14th century saint is credited for encouraging the Pope to return to Rome after the opes had been residing in Avignon, France for 70 years?
*]Which sacrament completes Christian initiation? (hint: check CCC 1322 as the answer surprises many)
*]The Nicene Creed was begun at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 AD. Which ecumenical Council completed the Creed and gave it its present form?
*]What was Saint John Paul II’s name before he became pope?
*]Who is the patron saint of parish priests?
[/LIST]

I could keep going, but I’ll stop. :stuck_out_tongue: Flipping through the Catechism, Scripture, or a book on the saints is a great way to find questions.

EDIT: My personal philosophy for these things is that it’s best to have questions with a short, clear-cut answer than is easily demonstrated via Scripture verse or Catechism reference (or even Canon Law or the GIRM). That’s not always possible for most of the saints or Church history questions, but for anything else it usually is. That minimizes the possibility that you’ll encounter disputes.

You also want to be prepared to have someone answer a vague question in a way you didn’t expect but isn’t necessarily wrong. For example, “What do we call someone who gives up his life for the faith?” The answer I may be looking for is “martyr”, but if someone answers “priest”, they wouldn’t necessarily be wrong. A better way to phrase the question would be “What do we traditionally call someone who is killed for their Christian faith?”

You want to leave as little wiggle room as possible.

Yes, I’ve done this a lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you all, for your replies!

Where did the Magi or 3 wise men see Jesus?

Answer: In a house, not the manger. This is in Matthew.

Oppps…you said about CC and history:

Who moved the papacy from Rome to Avignon?

Sister Anne’s Trivia Game is fun. Full of questions and she gives the source for the answers. I got the link from a fellow CAF member. Here it is: stanneaz.org/trivia/

I like this one…but it will open the door to a lot of discussion…

Q: According to Old Testament Scripture, who killed the Philistine Giant, Goliath?

A #1: David…see 1 Samuel 17:49-50

A #2: Elhanam…see 2 Samuel 21:19

WARNING…DO NOT USE THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE RESEARCHED SUFFICIENTLY TO DEFEND THE APPARENT CONTRADICTION!

Have fun!

St. Anne’s trivia game moved to a new website:

trivia.stanneaz.org/

They have a feedback link when questions are showing in order for people to write if they have corrections, suggestions, or improvements on any of the questions and answers in the game.

God bless!

The old Baltimore Catechism has hundreds of questions arranged in a question/answer format. The BC was developed for primary-school children, so it would have been considered basic for its day, but I think it would not be so basic for many poorly catechized young modern Catholics.

The old series, Radio Replies, features hundreds of questions asked of Fathers Rumble and Carty on their Australian radio program. But, be careful - many of these questions are asked by people hostile to the Faith (so the tone of the question would not be appropriate for your situation), and a good number of these questions regard rules that pre-date Vatican-2.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.