Need a specific passage about sin and redemption

Hello (not sure if this topic goes here),
I’m defending the Christian teaching against homosexual marriage. The other person cited Lev 20: 13 saying that Christian ethics is to kill homosexuals.

I need a passage from the New Testament which says that Christ accepted God’s punishment (i.e. stoning) so we don’t have to.

Well, moral laws are eternal and unchanging, because they relate to how we relate to God, Who is eternal and unchanging. For this reason, the idea that homosexuality in practice is sinful is something that is forever.

However, the idea of killing practicing homosexuals is something that merely prefigures the eternal death in Hell which awaits those who prevail in evil and sin. Thus, in regard to the application of the law, Jesus said, “Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill” (Matthew 5:17).

May God bless you always as you defend the Holy Catholic Faith! :slight_smile:

I kind of reject the idea that Jesus would have had to support “stoning” to be against gay marriage. When the adulteress was going to be stoned, he was able to stop it but then he told the adulteress to “Go and sin no more.” Why would He tell her not to sin unless it was a sin. Similarly, any type of sex outside of marriage which was always understood in all Scripture to be between a man and a woman only is a sin.

Jesus did reiterate that exact definition of marriage that God created it between one man and one woman in Genesis in Matt. 19 beginning at verse 4 when He talks about divorce. He’s pretty specific so there’s not really a way around that in my opinion.

The argument that silence equals approval on this matter is weak as there were condemnations against homosexual acts in Hebrew Scripture so the fact that Jesus did not refute them would speak more to the lack of need to do so.

He’s confusing the Israelite civil law with God’s unchanging moral law.

The punishments proscribed in the Old Covenant were ended along with the ritual/dietary laws of the Old Covenant. The moral law remains.

That is why we are free to eat shellfish, but we cannot commit adultery. That is why we can wear clothes made of two fabrics, but we cannot murder. And that is why we do not execute homosexuals, but homosexuality is still a sin and we cannot practice it.

Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel? (Ezekiel 33:11)

3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him [Jesus], “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus looked up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.” (John 8:3-11)

24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. (1 Peter 2:24)

19 For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. 21 And you, who once were estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him, 23 provided that you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which has been preached to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.
(Colossians 1:19-23)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.