Need advice ASAP Non-Catholic speaker - Braxton Hunter?

My MIL is a Baptist & she has continually been trying to get my hubby to go to church w/ her since before I met him. He never really did go w/ her, but he has gone w/ me most of the time. Anyway, her church is sponsoring this Braxton Hunter guy as a speaker in her home town. braxtonhunter.com/braxtonhunter.com/ The last night is tonight & my hubby has agreed to attend.

My husband has attended some RCIA classes, but dropped out once we got married. He doesn’t have a real solid faith formation. I know many of these non-Catholic speakers tend to look down on Catholics and sometimes subtly or not-so-subtly bash Catholicism. I don’t know if this guy is one of those, or not. I’m hoping someone will have some kind of experience hearing him speak. I don’t want to harm any good that could come from encouraging my hubby to attend a religious event (he’s been increasingly resistant to any form of religious interaction lately), even if its not specifically Catholic. I just don’t want it to be ANTI-Catholic. KWIM?

I’ve never heard of him. Looking at his website, it seems you’d be able to expect the usual sorts of errors (“once saved, always saved”, sola scriptura, etc.). Is it possible for you to attend the event with your husband? Then you could see first-hand what the guy is saying and you’d be in a better position to counter any of the error.

, etc.). Is it possible for you to attend the event with your husband? Then you could see first-hand what the guy is saying and you’d be in a better position to counter any of the error.

I will attend with him if he decides to go. I just spoke to him & couldn’t get an answer really one way or another from him. I would never send him to something like that w/o me (or at least have some way of knowing/countering). :slight_smile: He’s still too much of a ‘baby’ in religion!

The danger here is this is flashy with music on par with a Branson music spectacular, it is an emotional HIGH.

Next Sunday, Mass looks REALLY boring.

Kinda like when your kids have been at grandma’s all week and she lets them have ice cream for breakfast and candy bars for lunch, it makes a good nutritious meal look boring.

I find nondenominational and evangelical events inspiring and only add to my faith as a catholic. I get the sacraments through the church, but the non-demon events put me in a “God Mode” feeling that sparks my conversations with God. It is possible to remain Catholic (if solid in teachings) and still get something out of another denomination’s event.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.