Need advice on an annulment

I need some help and assistance. I was born and raised a Catholic but I have been away from the church for about 15 years. I have been married for about 5 years. My wife is an atheist and when we were married she agreed for show to be married by a former priest, a priest who left the priesthood and since married. We are in the process of divorcing and I am in the process of coming back to the church. There are some issues that I have to work out and I appreciate anyone’s help and assistance. Thanks, Ranger

The best advice that you will get on this forum would be to make an appointment with a priest to discuss your situation. There are so many details that he needs to know and discuss with you. Although people will have similar stories on this forum (and you can do a search) no two situations are ever going to be exactly like yours. Make an appointment and a priest will be better able to advise you.

Welcome home and May God bless you and guide you.:)

OP were you married outside the Church with former priest? Did he attempt to give you a Catholic marriage Certificate? Because if his faculties were removed he could not have performed a Catholic ceremony.

You are probably only married civilly, but the best thing to do is to speak to your priest.

What you could do in the mean time is go to confession and then start coming to Mass again and receiving the Eucharist (assuming that you are disposed to do so)

God bless!

He did not give us a Catholic marriage certificate. The next question that people will ask about this is what is a Catholic, or at least a non practicing Catholic doing marrying an atheist. My wife and I were both in our mid 40's, never married and we both have multiple disabilities/birth defects. I am going to be a little vague on that aspect because we are known around town and I want to do my best to protect my anonymity. Sadly it turned out that that was all we had in common.

[quote="Ranger22, post:4, topic:241244"]
He did not give us a Catholic marriage certificate. The next question that people will ask about this is what is a Catholic, or at least a non practicing Catholic doing marrying an atheist.

[/quote]

No one should be questioning why you did what you did. You've asked for assistance, and the best advice we can give is to make an appointment with your priest.

You need to give him all the details and he will assist you. Here on this board we cannot give you detailed, specific answers because there are many details that make a difference in the marriage laws of the Church and how they apply to your situation.

In general, it *sounds *as if you entered into a mixed marriage without permission and did not marry according to Catholic form. But, the local priest and tribunal will go through this step by step because there could be other information you give that leads them to different conclusions on how to handle the case.

welcome home, and welcome to the forums
you will not get any better than general information on the topic here
for a useful answer that addresses your own unique personal situation you need to meet with the priest who is receiving you back into the Church. It should be the priest because you will at some point undoubtedly want to go to confession and return to the sacraments. He is the one who can best advise you on what, if anything, needs to be done in regard to your marriage situation. There is not enough info in your post, and there are too many variables to go into a profitable discussion here. You will probably find, as most people do, the situation is much less complicated to resolve than you envision, and that moreover, going through whatever process is prescribed is actually a healing experience.

Welcome back,

You can also contact the judicial vicar of your diocese as well if you need assistance in this. You can find him usually by contacting the diocesean office.

I would however talk with your priest first, and if you are have any questions then contact the judicial vicar. Or you can contact someone in the Marriage Tribunal Office too.

Little One0307

It is none of anyone’s business why you are in this situation. You need to talk to your parish priest and take it one step at a time. Prayers for you.

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and recommendations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.