Need Advice

My mother refuses to go to confession, because she thinks she doesnt have too. Even though she hasnt gone for almost 6 months.I am trying to push her to go because she is going in for surgery on wednesday. I have tried to give her examinations of conciense’s and that stuff. Can you give me any advice? Thanks =)

It needs to be her decision. Church law only requires reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation once a year. Don’t push.
Because she is going in for surgery, your mother could request the Sacrament of the Sick. This may be a less intimidating suggestion.
Keep in mind that before Vatican II, the Sacrament of the Sick was called Extreme Unction. Many saw it as a statement that death was imminent. Vatican II restored it to its proper place as a Sacrament of Healing.
Just ask her if she would be willing to have a priest visit and anoint her before the surgery.
I gather from your post that you are worried about your mother. Tell her that it would ease your concerns if she had the priest anoint her before the surgery.

AND bring her Communion as well!

Yes. Know that you did what you could. No one can “push” someone into the confessional. Your fervency for the sacraments is commendable but she must makeup her own mind. Maybe you could suggest the Anointing of the Sick (which includes reconciliation if she wishes) by stating that anyone going in for surgery even if it isn’t serious can receive it. Pray for her and let God do His work. You are His instrument of peace not a hammer. God bless you for your faith and fervency…teachccd

I agree with the suggestion to not push her towards confession. By trying to push her toward that, may actually push her away.

Yes, my advice is that you shouldn’t be so presumptuous as to assume that you know the status of another person’s soul.

I am 46 years old and if I told my mother that she needed to go to confession she’d smack me in the mouth…and rightfully so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.