Need advice

Our family has always been devout Catholics; except for my brother who abandoned Christ’s Church to marry an evangelical fundamentalist. Now, I get this email from my brother and I need advice on how to respond.

"Wanted to let you know about the date for my daughter’s
dedication at church.

She will be dedicated to God on Sunday, April 29th
at our church at the 5 pm service.

I realize the term “Baby Dedication” might be new for
some of you, so here is a brief snippet that I think
helps explain what my wife and I intend to do:

A Baby Dedication is a ceremony in which believing
parents, and sometimes entire families, make a
commitment before the Lord to submit a child to God’s
will and to raise that child according to God’s Word
and God’s ways.

Christian parents who dedicate a child are making a
promise to the Lord to do everything within their
power to raise the child in a godly way, prayerfully
until he or she can make a decision on his or her own
to follow God. Parents who make this vow of
committment are instructed to raise the child in the
ways of God, and not according to their own ways. Some
of the responsiblities include teaching and training
the child in God’s Word, demonstrating an example of
godliness, disciplining according to God’s ways, and
praying earnestly for the child.

We would absolutely love it if any or all of you could
be there to be with us as we commit to raising our daughter
in a Godly way."

If you would have been there for your niece’s baptism, why the reservations now? You’re there for your family, not to participate as a member of another church.

That’s interesting. I quote “Parents who make this vow of
committment are instructed to raise the child in the
ways of God, and not according to their own ways.

Someone must determine what the “ways of God” are. By doing that, they are doing it according to their own ways.

A Baby Dedication is a ceremony in which believing
parents, and sometimes entire families, make a
commitment before the Lord to submit a child to God’s
will and to raise that child according to God’s Word
and God’s ways.

That leaves you out because your duty would be to teach her about the Catholic Church and its history. I am sure he would not allow that which brings us back to the statement “and not according to their own ways” I am sure he would only allow HIS way.

You write back immediately to your brother, and say you would be delighted to be there! He is dedicating his child, your niece, to a life in Christ - however you view it, and that does not matter here - and that is a wonderful miracle, one that has blessed the child, her family, and you as well.

It would help so much if it were possible for Catholics to assume that anyone who is not a Catholic is automatically apostate.

And please, I hope that the fact that your brother has made his own choice has not made a schism in your family. For me that is a sin as black as racism. Love one another as I have loved you.

Blessings

Jabulani

You can go. Obviously if they do or say anything anti-Catholic you can choose to leave. Think of the influence you will have on the child in the future. I was raised Protestant and look at me now. You could give them a nice card and indicate that you will have a Mass said for his family. Pray for him and the child that they might come to know the fullness of truth.

By all means go! I am not a catholic but families are important no matter what. And I never understood people who disowned others because of their beliefs. I have to agree with the other poster. Since you feel so strongly about your faith you could be an influence on her in later years. If you want to be an influence then do not “shut the door”, always leave it open. :thumbsup:

It’s impossible for me to go because he lives half a continent away and I just don’t have the finances to schedule such a trip in less than a month. I’m not sure if I should send a present but I am leaning towards yes, I will send a present. I desire to bring him back into the Church and not support his decision to leave the Church.

Never abandon family…pray for them. I recommend you should attend as a witness but not as a participant. If you have been asked to take an active part in the liturgy, consult your priest.

Iowa Mike

I know you love your brother, please forgive me if this hurts, but this service is just a baptism without going through with it. Because if they did and called it such, it would be doing what those “pagan Catholics” do. Protasants can be so stupid :banghead:

(strong sarcasim is intended. Hurting sdben5 is not)

Couple thoughts

If you cannot afford it then ask if they can help, then they know you tried.

My moms friends, daughter is Baptist, she married a Catholic guy. His parents were so knocked out by it they would not acknowledge the marriage. They also have not acknowledged their 2 grandchildren. All this kind of thing does it “rob joy” something satan does best.

When they invited you, they knew your position on belief. But are still inviting you to participate in the raising of your niece. They must understand you to be a Godly person or they would not have asked. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.