Need ASAP help on Luther Info

Hi,

Can someone direct me to an unbiased, historically accurate web-site account of the Reformation?

There is tons of info, but I want an accurate, unbiased account.

God Bless you my friend!
Patrick
PJM

Good luck!!

Beat me to it! LOL

On a more serious note, I think James Swan does a good job as far as the historical Luther goes.

He’s certainly a great resource for rooting out unfair catholic biases and myths about Luther. But I’d not remotely call him unbiased. He’s polite and tries to be fair, but he’s as biased against the catholic viewpoint on Luther issues as the catholic apologists he critiques.

In the end, there ARE no unbiased humans. It’s part of being fallen. If you read Swan’s stuff, be sure to read some catholic stuff to offset his bias. Belloc’s “How the Reformation Happened” is far from ‘unbiased’ but still does a great job of revealing some the big picture cultural issues that made Luther and Calvin’s peculiar ideas resonate when they would otherwise probably have been ignored by most of history. Belloc is at least as biased as Swan. Perhaps less polite, but about the same amount of hubris!

Catholic Encyclopedia

Hi,

It’s not unbiased but Dave Armstrong’s The Catholic Verses: 95 Bible Passages that Confound Protestants is well written/researched, non-incendiary, and balanced. This book is not about the Reformation per se, but differing beliefs between Catholics and Protestants using many direct quotes. Depending on why you need the info it may be helpful?

Good luck!

Elaine

Oxford professor Diarmaid MacCulloch’s The Reformation: A History is an awesome book about pre-Reformation Catholicism, the Protestant reformations, and the Catholic counter-reformation. It’s thick though (864 pages), but very comprehensive.

=ltwin;10997842]Oxford professor Diarmaid MacCulloch’s The Reformation: A History is an awesome book about pre-Reformation Catholicism, the Protestant reformations, and the Catholic counter-reformation. It’s thick though (864 pages), but very comprehensive.

Thank you!:slight_smile:

So, is this why i haven’t received any more weekly lessons from ya?:wink:

All the accounts will be biased. You just have to read as many diverse sources as you can and ascertain which is the most credible.

And still your assertion will probably be biased as well :p.

Could not help it :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.