Need Bible help?

I need help finidng in the Bible where it says that you should stay with people that are on the same page as you in beliefs in Christ. For example, if you have friends who just love to party and drink beer, you must still love them, but not necesaarily hang around with them anymore. Stay with people who your beliefs. I know somewhere in the Bible there are phrases like this.

Can anyone help???

Thats not ringing any bells for me. We are to hold fast to what we have been taught, not what our friends may think.

Phil

[quote=CatMan]I need help finidng in the Bible where it says that you should stay with people that are on the same page as you in beliefs in Christ. For example, if you have friends who just love to party and drink beer, you must still love them, but not necesaarily hang around with them anymore. Stay with people who your beliefs. I know somewhere in the Bible there are phrases like this.

Can anyone help???
[/quote]

I am not sure if this is what you mean but:

1 Cor 1: 10 - I urge that there be no divisions among you
Phil 2:2 be of same mind, united in heart, thinking one thing
Rome 15:5 God grant you to think in harmony with one another

I know that these passages are often interpreted to show that the Church must be in unity, but it might get you going in the right direction.

Sorry if this is not what you had in mind.

I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people,
10 not at all referring to the immoral of this world or the greedy and robbers or idolaters; for you would then have to leave the world.
11 But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard, or a robber, not even to eat with such a person.
12 For why should I be judging outsiders? Is it not your business to judge those within?
13 God will judge those outside. “Purge the evil person from your midst.”

clipped out of 1corinthians chapter 5

Sirach 6:5-17 discusses the nature of true friendship.

Sirach 8:1-19 gives advice in dealing with others. One verse says, “Be not too familiar with an unruly man, lest he speak ill of your forebears.”

Lastly, Sirach 9:10-16 is good, esp vs 16, “Have just men for your table companions; in the fear of God be your glory.”

I think that should help. As far as a purely practical explanation goes: you become like your friends. Sure you could serve as a good influence for them, but they could also subvert you. Realistically, the latter will happen if you associate with them in base activities. To be a true friend, offer them the truth. You may certainly continue to associate with them, but be on your guard (as Sirach would warn you). This may be difficult depending on how they react, but it is extremely important. In the OT, not sure which book, it tells us that if we give a man the truth with regards to faith and they reject it, they are lost. On the other hand, if we do not give them the truth, we are lost just as they.

In short, have patience with your friends but do not lead them to believe that a base action is acceptable. Above all do not participate in these actions yourself. Good luck and I hope this helped.

[quote=CatMan]I need help finidng in the Bible where it says that you should stay with people that are on the same page as you in beliefs in Christ. For example, if you have friends who just love to party and drink beer, you must still love them, but not necesaarily hang around with them anymore. Stay with people who your beliefs. I know somewhere in the Bible there are phrases like this.

Can anyone help???
[/quote]

1 Cor 5:9-13
I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people, not at all referring to the immoral of this world or the greedy and robbers or idolaters; for you would then have to leave the world.

But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard, or a robber, not even to eat with such a person.

For why should I be judging outsiders? Is it not your business to judge those within? God will judge those outside. “Purge the evil person from your midst.”

While it would be almost impossible to avoid sinners entirely, St Paul is especially urging us to avoid the companionship of fellow Christians who are living sinfully. That does not mean we should freely associate with the “immoral of this world” in our leisure activities.

How about Psalms 1?

Matthew 18:15-17, Romans 16:17-18, 1 Corinthians 5:9-13, 1 Timothy 6:3-5, 2 Timothy 3:2-5, 2 Thessalonians 3:6, 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15, Ephesians 5:11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.