Need book recommendations

I have the Max Lucado book of daily inspirational readings. Each day has a page, with a Bible verse and a few paragraphs of the thought for the day so to speak.

Is there anything similar that is Catholic? I like Max Lucado and have quite a few of his children’s books, but if I’m going to have a daily devotional, I’d like for it to be Catholic, but what I like about it is that it is very short and I don’t feel like I have to set a large block of time to do the reading. Not like a study Bible, kwim?

Thanks for any ideas.

I enjoy a book called “Praying with St. Paul”. It has daily meditations, by numerous different authors. A great and thought provoking book. Easy to read and pick up on any day.

Enjoy:)

There are many Catholic books like you describe. My husband has one with short excerpts from Pope Benedict’s writings. There are many collections of brief excerpts of various Saints–I saw one with Blessed Teresa of Calcutta’s writings recently. Do you have a Catholic bookstore in your town? If not, look through the website for Ignatius Press or another Catholic publisher.

You might also like Magnificat or *Our Daily Bread *which are monthly subscriptions to little booklets with the Mass readings and brief meditations for every day. *Magnificat *also has abbreviated versions of morning, evening and night prayer from the LOTH and quick bios of Saints. I really like my subscription.

[LIST]
*]The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
*]My Daily Bread
*]Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen
[/LIST]

Each of these books are excellent Catholic devotionals. They are all written in brief chapters, so you can read a chapter a day in five minutes. Even the intro to Divine Intimacy is worth the price of the book. It’s the best brief commentary on prayer that I have come across.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.