Need book recommendations

I'm going to be going on a 14 hour flight next monday, so I need some book recomendations. I love historical fiction, fantasy, classics, and smart chick lit.
Some of my favorite books, so you can get an idea of my taste:

The girl with the dragon tattoo
The southern vampire mysteries (true blood)
Gone with the wind
Memoirs of a geisha
Atonement
The thirteenth tale
Pride and prejudice
Jane Eyre
Water for elephants
Jonathan strange and mr norrell
Let the right one in

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:266032"]
I'm going to be going on a 14 hour flight next monday, so I need some book recomendations. I love historical fiction, fantasy, classics, and smart chick lit.
Some of my favorite books, so you can get an idea of my taste:

The girl with the dragon tattoo
The southern vampire mysteries (true blood)
Gone with the wind
Memoirs of a geisha
Atonement
The thirteenth tale
Pride and prejudice
Jane Eyre
Water for elephants
Jonathan strange and mr norrell
Let the right one in

[/quote]

So, you are an imaginative person, who like tales, who live in them as real...

I enjoyed Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice myself!

Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order (pick any you like!):

Macbeth
The Aeneid
The Odyssey
(didn't much like the Illiad)
Metamorphoses (Ovid)
Hamlet
Les Misérables*The Psalter of the Prophet and King David With the Nine Biblical Odes is a translation of the Psalter of the Septuagint.
*Science and an African Logic
-- it's not an easy read, but fascinating.

Sorry if none of these appeal to you.

I recommend the book "Sarah's Key" -- I saw the movie -- it was in French with English subtitles -- and I dealt with with the French, but I honestly liked the book better. I'm pretty much a World War II history "buff" so that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the book.

[quote="Barb3, post:4, topic:266032"]
I recommend the book "Sarah's Key" -- I saw the movie -- it was in French with English subtitles -- and I dealt with with the French, but I honestly liked the book better. I'm pretty much a World War II history "buff" so that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the book.

[/quote]

Me too! I love WWII history. I'm actually reading a book about the fire bombing in Dresden.

I'd recommend "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. It's fantasy but at times it reads like classic lit. I've heard it's been compared to "Jonathan strange and Mr Norrell".

I thought of another book about World War II that I truly liked -- in fact,it was on the bestseller list for some months. The title is "Unbroken - A World War II Airman's Story of Survival, Resilence and Redemption" -- there are parts of it that are pretty sad, but I believe it is a true story.

I recommend a Michael O'Brien book. Island of the World was fabulous.
I sent my daughter in law his latest book, The Fathers Tale for advent reading. 1000 + pgs! (she is not Catholic but a great reader)
ignatiusinsight.com/authors/michaelobrien.asp

I just t finished Room by Emma Donoghue. It was an excellent read, very dark and dramatic. I couldn't put it down. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is another of my favorites. It can be hard to find, but if you enjoyed Water for Elephants you might like The Big Top by Fred Bradna - it's the true story of his time in the circus.

[quote="ZDHayden, post:3, topic:266032"]
I enjoyed Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice myself!

Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order (pick any you like!):

Macbeth
The Aeneid
The Odyssey
(didn't much like the Illiad)
Metamorphoses (Ovid)
*Hamlet
Les Misérables*The Psalter of the Prophet and King David With the Nine Biblical Odes

[/quote]

is a translation of the Psalter of the Septuagint.
Science and an African Logic -- it's not an easy read, but fascinating.

Sorry if none of these appeal to you.

I do not see you. You like to be hidden in the roots of the tree, which roots sustain the tree.
And you read greek and latin. So do I.
Good.

There is a 16 hour plane trip in my future and I bought "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickenson. It is a book on tape (CD actually), and I have a set of noise cancelling headphones to go along with it, nothing like 16 hours of screaming babies to ruin a flight. I also have packed my rosary and Divine Mercy CD. I would prefer to get there by slow boat, but that is not practical.

My wife is partial to Tom Clancy for long trips--thrilling, good writing and thick. She also enjoys the comic mysteries of Carl Hiaason. I enjoy Kathy Reich's mysteries--she is a real forensic anthropologist so she gets the details right. I always pack MobyDick for long trips. I've read it several times and always find something new to think about. You might also enjoy bBill Bryson's travel writing--try A Walk in the Woods (the Appalacian trail) and In a Sunburnt Country (Australia). And, don't forget James Michener's multigenerational historical fiction. All were best sellers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.