Need Catechism references on this

a friend recently heard a homily where the priest said all world religions worship the same God, which of course is WRONG. can someone who is familiar with the catechism post references that refute that

Here is a online Catechism with a great search bar:
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

I searched for “same God” but I didnt find anything. There is some truth to that statement, but there is also much error.

After acknowledging that Jews and Muslims worship the same God as Christians, the Catechism says:

The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

In their religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them:

Very often, deceived by the Evil One, men have become vain in their reasonings, and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and served the creature rather than the Creator. Or else, living and dying in this world without God, they are exposed to ultimate despair.333

To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son’s Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is “the world reconciled.” She is that bark which “in the full sail of the Lord’s cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world.” According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah’s ark, which alone saves from the flood.334

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect2chpt3art9p3.htm

843 indicates that God is reaching out to all men, but 844 recognizes the errors which mislead other faiths.

CCC 830 2nd Paragraph
First, the Church is catholic because Christ is present in her. “Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.” In her subsists the fullness of Christ’s body united with its head; this implies that she receives from him “the fullness of the means of salvation” which he has willed: correct and complete confesion of faith, full sacramental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic succession.

That we all worship the same God is true. We just go about it different ways. The Muslim God is Alla and is the same God we worship. The Jews also worship the same God and every Protestant worships the same God. If not true, name one church that does not worship the God of Abraham.

i know that Jews and Muslims also worship the God of Abraham, but i’m speaking of other religions that worship false Gods: Hinduism, Buddhism, etc… i can see saying that those people are searching for the one true God but are not finding it in their religion, but we don’t worship the same God as false religions

Oh my…:frowning:

How about the First Commandment? If all religions worship the same God then what’s the point of the First Commandment?

Well, Hinduism worships many gods and Buddhism doesn’t have a God. So no.

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 841

The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims;

scborromeo.org/ccc/para/841.htm

There’s quite a few ‘points’ according to the CCC. irreligion, superstition, atheism, agnosticism etc…

Well, Hinduism worships many gods and Budhism doesn’t have a God. So no.

Still, if one of them offered up thanks to the creator of all good things, they would inadvertently praise the creator of all good things.

ok i found what i was looking for here:
scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#III

III. "YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME"
2110 The first commandment forbids honoring gods other than the one Lord who has revealed himself to his people. It proscribes superstition and irreligion. Superstition in some sense represents a perverse excess of religion; irreligion is the vice contrary by defect to the virtue of religion.
Superstition
2111 Superstition is the deviation of religious feeling and of the practices this feeling imposes. It can even affect the worship we offer the true God, e.g., when one attributes an importance in some way magical to certain practices otherwise lawful or necessary. To attribute the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand, is to fall into superstition.41
Idolatry
2112 The first commandment condemns polytheism. It requires man neither to believe in, nor to venerate, other divinities than the one true God. Scripture constantly recalls this rejection of “idols, [of] silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.” These empty idols make their worshippers empty: "Those who make them are like them; so are all who trust in them."42 God, however, is the "living God"43 who gives life and intervenes in history.
2113 Idolatry not only refers to false pagan worship. It remains a constant temptation to faith. Idolatry consists in divinizing what is not God. Man commits idolatry whenever he honors and reveres a creature in place of God, whether this be gods or demons (for example, satanism), power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, etc. Jesus says, "You cannot serve God and mammon."44 Many martyrs died for not adoring "the Beast"45 refusing even to simulate such worship. Idolatry rejects the unique Lordship of God; it is therefore incompatible with communion with God.46
2114 Human life finds its unity in the adoration of the one God. The commandment to worship the Lord alone integrates man and saves him from an endless disintegration. Idolatry is a perversion of man’s innate religious sense. An idolater is someone who "transfers his indestructible notion of God to anything other than God."47

etc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.