Need Clarification on Moral Complications of Childhood Abuse

So I know this is a really specific sort of circumstance, but if you have any thoughts/resources/knowledge that could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it!

My family is split between a non-Catholic father and a Catholic mother. As a 3 year old, I was taken to my father's third-world native country and (being a girl and of no real 'use' to the family line) 'trained' for prostitution.

Long story short, I was well under the age of reason when I developed vicious habits. Honestly, it's been a life-long battle, and I've been reading stuff about vicious habits and what kinds of sins they entail (seeing as I don't want to receive Communion with a mortal sin on my soul), but all the threads I've been able to find so far deal with habits formed after the age of reason.

Again, I'd really appreciate any thoughts/knowledge/resources anyone can give! I'd like to sort this out--obviously I will continue to fight until I can eradicate this vice, but for the purposes of receiving Communion, I'd like to know where my soul stands sin-wise...

I don't know what your habits are (and I don't need or want to know) but if these 'habits' are as a result of a form of compulsion that has been imbued into you as a result of your abuse, then the moral culpability of those aspects can be reduced or negated - mainly because you may not be in full control or able to give full consent to your actions.

The Catechism recognises this, but if you need specific guidance, your best course of action would be to approach a priest in the context of Confession - if, for no other reason, than to protect your confidentiality.

By the sounds of things, your situation may be a little too complicated or too personal for general discussion here and you should probably avoid giving out too much personal information on a public internet forum in any case.

My personal inclination is that childhood abuse materially colours one's actions as an adult and may well reflect a reduced culpability to some extent. I would not seek to judge anyone harshly as a result.

I pray for your peace and for your healing, as I pray for all who are abused and broken at the hands of others.

[quote="DexUK, post:2, topic:319123"]

By the sounds of things, your situation may be a little too complicated or too personal for general discussion here and you should probably avoid giving out too much personal information on a public internet forum in any case.

[/quote]

This is good advice. You should seek out a competent spiritual advisor to help you; very few of us on this forum are going to be able to comprehend what you've gone through in life, and therefore are in a very poor position to help you.

My personal inclination is that childhood abuse materially colours one's actions as an adult and may well reflect a reduced culpability to some extent. I would not seek to judge anyone harshly as a result.

I second this. Though, in coming to know that a compulsion is disordered, you should starting working to overcome it (I know it's very difficult, it's the effort that's important!)

I pray for your peace and for your healing, as I pray for all who are abused and broken at the hands of others.

As do I.

My heart aches for you. I hope you find peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.