Need Communion really bad!

I have an issue!:crying:

Since I’m thinking about converting to Catholicism who knows when, I heard that I can’t take communion even at a Protestant church if I’m going to convert! And since I can’t take the Eucharist until I’m truly converted, I guess you could say I’m stuck in a “hole”.

I have not taken Communion since the beginning of October 2004. I really NEED to take A communion…but it seems like I can’t.

WHAT AM I TO DO?!!?!?!?!!?!? :eek:

Peace be with you!

[quote=Paris Blues]I have an issue!:crying:

Since I’m thinking about converting to Catholicism who knows when, I heard that I can’t take communion even at a Protestant church if I’m going to convert! And since I can’t take the Eucharist until I’m truly converted, I guess you could say I’m stuck in a “hole”.

I have not taken Communion since the beginning of October 2004. I really NEED to take A communion…but it seems like I can’t.

[/quote]

As you are talking about converting to Christianity, so I would like to ask you: are you not Christian?

In Love,
Yaqubos†

What do you mean when you say you have not taken communion? (you are not Catholic, correct?)

Paris, I suggest that you make a daily “Spiritual Communion”.

Here is one from the EWTN site.

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.

I must be more specific…either people think I’m not Catholic or not a Christian…

For all the people in this forum…

I was baptized with a Presbyterian church two years ago. I believe I mentioned above in my other message that the last time I HAD COMMUNION was in October in a Presbyterian church! That is, until I moved into my own apartment and was clueless and then started pursuing the Catholic faith. I’m in the RCIA sessions at this time. Okay? :wink: I believe!!! I have faith!

Now can someone answer my ? please?

Yaqbois, she said converting to Catholicism, not Christianity.

While all Catholics are Christians, not all Christians are Catholics. . .in the sense that they acknowledge themselves as formal members of the Catholic Church, that is.

So your question is moot, methinketh.

Peace and joy be with you in this blessed season.

Hi Paris–check post #4 if you haven’t already.

Spiritual Communion is the way for you to go. You might also want to increase your prayer life in other ways, maybe even checking out this site on the “Liturgy of the Hours”. www.liturgyhours.org

You might also want, if your doctor okays it, to offer fasting (on a Sunday) up as a gesture of love and penance. You may wish to donate to a charitable cause as a gesture of spiritual communion. You may wish to join a Rosary Confraternity and pray the rosary daily for your special intentions.

May God bless you every day of your life.

[/quote]

Paris,
I can understand what you are saying.

Are you in the process of entering the Catholic Church?

You will not be able to recieve the Eucharist in the Catholic Church until you finish your preparation and have your first confession. As to taking “communion” in a protestant church, I do not think this is a good thing as you are in the process of entering the Catholic Church fully and right now you are considered to be a Catholic.

And then, if you do believe as the Church teaches, the “communion” offered in a protestant church is not the Eucharist so it is no more of a symbol as the Spiritual Communion prayer offered above.

I would join with Tantum ergo in suggesting that you pray the Spiritual Communion prayer during the Eucharist at the Mass.

[quote=Tantum ergo]Paris, I suggest that you make a daily “Spiritual Communion”.

Here is one from the EWTN site.
[/quote]

Oh, so correct, I CAN’T even take communion even if I visit my parent’s church (Presbyterian) if I’m thinking about converting? That’s how I’m taking it. And since I obviously can’t the Eucharist, I have to take the Spiritual Communion.

Thanks though!:smiley:

A relative of mine was baptized in the Episcopal Church, but who has studied Catholicism for over a year and wants to be received. At the parish we attend, they placed him in RCIA, even though the USCCB recommends people like him should not be treated as catechumens. His situation is much like yours: having to wait so long to receive the Holy Eucharist is really painful for him right now. I will just repeat for you what I have told him.

Tell Jesus how you long for Him. Tell him how much this pains you. Let Him know that you desire Him above all things, and that He is your love and your Lord. His grace will rain down to you and give you the strength you need to persevere.

May God’s Blessing be upon you.

Paris: You show an icon of crying and speak of deep longing for the Eucharist. There is an ancient tradition in the Church that weeping for love of the Lord is a gift of God. In fact, it is called the gift of tears.

There is another old tradition that tells us that longing for the Eucharist is a very powerful form of Penance.

I know how deep this ache can be (complete with the tears), as I, too, as a Convert had to wait nearly a year to receive Communion.

When you stand back at Communion time, longing for the Bread of God, think of your obedience as being fed on the Bread of Desire. The very ache you now feel is itself one of the deepest consolations Our Lord gives to his beloved.

[quote=mercygate]Paris: You show an icon of crying and speak of deep longing for the Eucharist. There is an ancient tradition in the Church that weeping for love of the Lord is a gift of God. In fact, it is called the gift of tears.

There is another old tradition that tells us that longing for the Eucharist is a very powerful form of Penance.

I know how deep this ache can be (complete with the tears), as I, too, as a Convert had to wait nearly a year to receive Communion.

When you stand back at Communion time, longing for the Bread of God, think of your obedience as being fed on the Bread of Desire. The very ache you now feel is itself one of the deepest consolations Our Lord gives to his beloved.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks for telling that! That’s awesome! :slight_smile: I do have a deep, longing! Even when watching the Daily Mass on EWTN, I desire to go through the TV and take it (though I can’t take the Eucharist anyway and besides, it’s kinda hard to go through the TV! LOL!)! Sometimes I feel like crying 'cause I can’t take it yet! :crying:

I just hope I don’t die before I can take it! That would be a mess!

[quote=Paris Blues]Hey, thanks for telling that! That’s awesome! :slight_smile: I do have a deep, longing! Even when watching the Daily Mass on EWTN, I desire to go through the TV and take it (though I can’t take the Eucharist anyway and besides, it’s kinda hard to go through the TV! LOL!)! Sometimes I feel like crying 'cause I can’t take it yet! :crying:

I just hope I don’t die before I can take it! That would be a mess!
[/quote]

You are being very greatly blessed and caressed by a loving God who has you tight in his arms.

[quote=Paris Blues]Oh, so correct, I CAN’T even take communion even if I visit my parent’s church (Presbyterian) if I’m thinking about converting? That’s how I’m taking it. And since I obviously can’t the Eucharist, I have to take the Spiritual Communion.

Thanks though!:smiley:
[/quote]

Paris,
You should not take communion only if you are offically in the process of entering the Catholic Church as once you start the process you become a Catholic. If you are just thinking about it then you are not really a Catholic yet so you are not bound by the precepts of the Church that say we are not to receive at those churches.

RCIA is more than just for catechumens. As your relative was baptized he is not a catechumen. He is a candidate. The services will be a bit different for him.

As for what you imply, that he should receive individual instruction and be accepted when he is ready is a bit unrealistic with the logistics of it all, especially today when RCIA is run mostly by volunteers with one DRE at the head of it. With one DRE and the sortage of priests, there are not a lot of people running around to have individual instruction avalible for those who need it.

[/quote]

Think of it this way, when you do recieve the body and blood of our Lord, you can honestly say that it was worth it.After all why take a symbol in Protestant churches when you can take the Real deal: the Eucharist in the Catholic Church. I will keep you in Prayer.

[quote=ByzCath]Paris,
RCIA is more than just for catechumens. As your relative was baptized he is not a catechumen. He is a candidate. The services will be a bit different for him.

As for what you imply, that he should receive individual instruction and be accepted when he is ready is a bit unrealistic with the logistics of it all, especially today when RCIA is run mostly by volunteers with one DRE at the head of it. With one DRE and the sortage of priests, there are not a lot of people running around to have individual instruction avalible for those who need it.
[/quote]

Yes, he is a candidate. I know that there is a shortage of priests and people to give individual instruction, and that this is why they’ve put him there. Still, there is a big difference in the amount of instruction needed by a non-Christian and a Christian (especially one who is coming from another highly liturgical tradition, for whom our doctrines and traditions do not seem unfamiliar.) It would be nice if this process could be simplified somehow. :wink: Maybe they could come up with a Catechism quiz or something to allow a person to demonstrate his grasp of the faith.

[quote=ByzCath]Paris,
You should not take communion only if you are offically in the process of entering the Catholic Church as once you start the process you become a Catholic. If you are just thinking about it then you are not really a Catholic yet so you are not bound by the precepts of the Church that say we are not to receive at those churches.

Well, I’m in the Inquiry session in the RCIA thing asking more questions about Catholicism so no, I’m not Catholic yet, right? I only ask questions to deepen my understanding about it as well as ask why do you guys do this, that, this, that, etc. But I am reading more on the Catholic faith with a free book I got in the mail and all plus reading the Catechism trying to anyway. I’m trying to learn the Rosary; my mother got me my own Rosary for Christmas plus she got me a small crucifix that we hanged at my apartment. Though before I even thought about entering the Catholic faith, the faith I already had was very close to the Catholic faith! Someone once told me that I was a “closet Catholic!”

[/quote]

Well, I’m in the Inquiry session in the RCIA thing asking more questions about Catholicism so no, I’m not Catholic yet, right? I only ask questions to deepen my understanding about it as well as ask why do you guys do this, that, this, that, etc. But I am reading more on the Catholic faith with a free book I got in the mail and all plus reading the Catechism trying to anyway. I’m trying to learn the Rosary; my mother got me my own Rosary for Christmas plus she got me a small crucifix that we hanged at my apartment. Though before I even thought about entering the Catholic faith, the faith I already had was very close to the Catholic faith! Someone once told me that I was a “closet Catholic!”
[/quote]

I do not think you are considered a Catholic until you go though the rite of reception (I believe that is what it is called).

Until such a time as that I believe you would be free to recieve communion at a protestant service.

Maybe someone who is involved in RCIA or one of the Catholic Clergy or moderators can respond to this.

Have you asked this question in the ask an apologist topic?

Have you talked this over with the priest at the parish you are attending RCIA at?

[quote=ByzCath]I do not think you are considered a Catholic until you go though the rite of reception (I believe that is what it is called).

Until such a time as that I believe you would be free to recieve communion at a protestant service.

Maybe someone who is involved in RCIA or one of the Catholic Clergy or moderators can respond to this.

Have you asked this question in the ask an apologist topic?

Have you talked this over with the priest at the parish you are attending RCIA at?
[/quote]

I have my RCIA thing tonight…I will ask her then!

[quote=ByzCath]I do not think you are considered a Catholic until you go though the rite of reception (I believe that is what it is called).

[/quote]

Byz, you are partly correct. But if Paris has committed to the Catholic Church – regardless of whether she has made her public profession, she should abstain from Communion in a non-Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.