Need confession!

Since I’m not confirmed yet, I can’t quite participate in the traditions, etc. until I am. However, I am under stress due to the terrible sins I’ve committed in the past after baptism. I have a huge desire to go to confession and tell all I did and all but since I’m not confirmed, I can’t do that!:banghead: I even have mortal sins that are stressing me out and all and NEED to confess them ASAP! What happens if I die in the state of mortal sin before I get to confession but had the desire to go but couldn’t go due to the rules of the Church, etc.? Would I die and go to Hell or what? I mean, I confessed them to God directly (yes, I know, I still have my Protestant “traits”!) but I know that even if you do that, I still need to go to confession.

Could someone calm me down here?:eek:

[quote=Paris Blues]Since I’m not confirmed yet, I can’t quite participate in the traditions, etc. until I am. However, I am under stress due to the terrible sins I’ve committed in the past after baptism. I have a huge desire to go to confession and tell all I did and all but since I’m not confirmed, I can’t do that!:banghead: I even have mortal sins that are stressing me out and all and NEED to confess them ASAP! What happens if I die in the state of mortal sin before I get to confession but had the desire to go but couldn’t go due to the rules of the Church, etc.? Would I die and go to Hell or what? I mean, I confessed them to God directly (yes, I know, I still have my Protestant “traits”!) but I know that even if you do that, I still need to go to confession.

Could someone calm me down here?:eek:
[/quote]

I don’t understand. Are you a convert and in an RCIA program? Why can’t you go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation? I would say the desire that you have to go to the Sacrament as soon as you are able indicates that you have perfect contrition for your sins. Have you confessed these sins directly to God in Christ with the knowledge and intention that when you are permitted to, you will receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation? If so, then trust that you are forgiven.

I’m not sure i understand. If you are baptized, you have access to the sacrament of Reconciliation and should go immediately. If you are not baptized and are scheduled to be initiated into the Church, you do not need to go to Reconciliation since the Baptism will erase all original and personal sin as well as the temporal punishment for that sin.

I’m not confirmed either but was baptized Catholic and receive the sacrament of the Eucharist and just went to confession last weekend.

Paris,

you will be admitted to confession when the person preparing you for the sacraments deems you ready. You will make your first confession before you are confirmed. Take this up with your RCIA instructor or your Pastor. Just like the desire for the Eucharist, the desire for Confession is in itself a very powerful form of Penance. Don’t worry about getting hit by a truck before you get to the sacrament. God’s mercy is not circumscribed even by the Church.

I advise taking your time to make careful preparation for your first confession. Start praying about it now. You needn’t stare at your navel, but a few months of praying for the grace to make a complete, modest, totally honest confession can’t hurt.

All the smart money will tell you that it doesn’t matter what you feel but in this Sacrament, “what you feel” can be a lifelong spiritual gift, and a grace that will carry you through dry and difficult times in the future. Good preparation helps you, personally, to get the most out of this Sacrament in every way: sacramentally, spiritually, emotionally, effectively.

The God who knows our inmost heart would not leave our emotional needs unmet.

Get ready to unload an excruciating burden. You’ll not believe how confession sets your spirit free.

Since we’re on this topic, when a Catholic goes to Penance, do he/she need to confess EVERY SINGLE sin, whether small or not? I mean, are you there to confess the bad sins or all sins?

…I’ve heard/read that you should go once a month but we all sin (venial) almost everyday! Shouldn’t you go every week?? Then I hear that you should confess EVERY SINGLE sin! What’s the deal here?

refer to this:

scborromeo.org/confess.htm

[quote=Paris Blues]Since we’re on this topic, when a Catholic goes to Penance, do he/she need to confess EVERY SINGLE sin, whether small or not? I mean, are you there to confess the bad sins or all sins?

…I’ve heard/read that you should go once a month but we all sin (venial) almost everyday! Shouldn’t you go every week?? Then I hear that you should confess EVERY SINGLE sin! What’s the deal here?
[/quote]

Actually…venial sins are forgiven during the mass…when we say

I confess…to almighty God and to you my Brothers and sisters that I have sinned…and when you participate in the eucharist there are healing and forgiving powers in that

Besides…you sound like to me that you have already made a perfect act of contrition…you are sorry because your sins offend God…not because you fear God…But the reason we need to confess our sins is that we can never be sure, until the priest absolves us.

But that’s only for mortal sins, not venial since you said they’re already forgiven right? But when you said you have to confess our sins (like the quote), those only are mortal, right?

Although you are not required to confess venial sins, I counsel first-timers to confess whatever may be troubling their consciences, even if it is small. This is a Sacrament to heal the heart as well as the soul. If it is any kind of sin at all, and it bothers you, submit it to the power of the Keys.

Start your examen with the “elephants” – things you KNOW need to be confessed, things that bother you the most. Then work through the Commandments, followed by the Beatitudes. You might also work through the Cardinal Sins and Virtues. Only when you have taken yourself as far as you can go in this way should you look at a list. But don’t think you have to come up with a sin for every item on the list! Lists are just prompts. You don’t have to fill in all the blanks!

Some people find it profitable to do this kind of major examen over a period of 3-6 weeks in half-hour stints. Trying to do it all at once can be just too much of a gulp. Don’t be bullied by people who tell you the confession needs to be short. It CAN be short, and probably will be. But a first confession of a lifetime of sins might also take some time. My spiritual director schedules an hour – even though the person is usually done in 30 minutes.

[font=Arial]Do not be persuaded that the sins of childhood do not belong here; if you truly examine your conscience, you will likely find that the sins of your childhood have, in fact, seeded the sin-history of your adolescent and adult life. You can, however, limit the childhood portion of your confession to “highlights” that typify the major faults, with an indication of how prevalent these things were.[/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
Don’t try to beat Newman’s marathon of seven hours :bigyikes:with his confessor (WHAT was he DOING in there?) , or even St. Ignatius of Loyola’s three-hour stint. Just do whatcha gotta do with total honesty and perfect integrity: no embroidery; no concealment; no euphemisms, no soap-operas.

You can ask the priest to help you if you find yourself overwhelmed; he’ll understand.

Above all, pray about this starting right NOW. Ask Jesus to make this confession for you – he did it for me.

Is it true that you don’t need to confess sins before baptism bec cause you were already baptized? I was baptized in September 2002 so I would have to confess all my sins ever since then, right?

Another question is, how do you know if it’s a mortal sin or not? Not that I’m scrupulous or anything; I just want to make sure I’m doing this right! :cool:

I found this website to be very helpful in understanding the difference between venial and mortal sin. Be sure to take note, mortal sins require three things to be present at the same time -

Three things are necessary for a sin to be mortal:

1. Serious matter (things listed in this examination);
  2. Knowledge or firm belief that the act is seriously wrong prior to committing the act;
  3. Full consent of the will.

While this has left me still guessing at times, I find the two links on this webpage helpful in clarifying. I wish I had this information prior to my confession a few weeks ago!

catholic.org/frz/examen/examen.htm

I hope it’s helpful to you.

=)
Fiz

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.