Need explanation for CCC 1484

1484 “Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, ****unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession.”****95 There are profound reasons for this. Christ is at work in each of the sacraments. He personally addresses every sinner: "My son, your sins are forgiven."96 He is the physician tending each one of the sick who need him to cure them.97 He raises them up and reintegrates them into fraternal communion. Personal confession is thus the form most expressive of reconciliation with God and with the Church.

I can understand how one might not be physically able to go to confession, but I don’t understand how one would be morally unable to do so.

I’m probably not using “moral” in the right sense here as it seems to me if I’m in “moral trouble” I need to go to confession!

“In this rural Diocese, for example, the difficulty many people experience in maintaining their anonymity without having to travel excessive distances, or the breakdown of relationships that prevents a person from feeling able to approach a particular priest in a one-to-one situation, may be real grounds for claiming moral or physical impossibility. Negative experiences of the confessional, and even the reality of physical and sexual abuse, may also need to be taken into account when decisions about the use of this rite are made.”

ad2000.com.au/articles/2002/may2002p8_992.html

Peace

Thank you! My Google search was fruitless, your post answers my question perfectly. :slight_smile:

I am not sure what your question/case really is but don’t use a particular note about a particular condition in a remote Australian diocese be your guide or answer.

Sacramental confession is irreplaceable…discomfort about having your sins known to the Church (via a priest) is not a reason for not going to confession. Humility is a wonderful gift to the soul.

See a priest.

Edward–I’m reading the CCC for the year of faith and just couldn’t figure out what a moral impossibility might be. The poster provided an answer that explained what it might be.

It might mean that physically one could get to confession but morally one is home bound…eg., taking care of a dying parent, little child, etc. in other words there is a overriding moral reason preventing reception of the Sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.