Need First Communion gift ideas

My sweet little girl is receiving her First Holy Communion this Spring and I’m looking for ideas for gifts. I really would like to get her something so special that she’ll always remember from this day.

Let me have it.

Thanks!

My mother gave me a miraculous Medal that she bought while in Rome. Before I was born. It was blessed there. I still have it!!! And where it all the time.

I'm getting a miraculous Medal for my God Daughter. Only, the one I've seen that is so pretty, is like a locket. It's roses that are over the front. Sterling silver.

Google those. There are MANY... So you could easily find on in you budget and to your liking.

Honestly, there is something special about jewelry to a little girl. So grown up. Why not a medal! Or a cross!

Enjoy your shopping!!!

We had “prayer cards” made up. The pic was either the sacrament or a saint, and the back usually read:

In honor of My First Communion
Child’s Name
Date
Short Prayer (child chooses)
Saint X Church, City
by Celebrant’s name

[quote="irisheyes66, post:1, topic:232668"]
My sweet little girl is receiving her First Holy Communion this Spring and I'm looking for ideas for gifts. I really would like to get her something so special that she'll always remember from this day.

Let me have it.

Thanks!

[/quote]

I am sure this is not what you had in mind but.....
I read a very short blog today by fathercharles at fathercharles.wordpress.com/ I just want you to take three minutes to read it and then I think you will know that without question you have something to give your daughter on her very special day that she will remember and cherish for the rest of her life.
Let me know what you think.

If you give her a Rosary pray it with her often.

When I did my First Communion, my grandfather bought me a little figurine; it was a child angel reading a bible, with a little gold cross as a bookmark. She was sitting on a cloud wearing a pink nightgown and on the front of the cloud it said "Bless you on your First Communion''. I still have it on my desk!:angel1:

In you we trust, O Mother of God http://c0658142.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/1da0502260526263f3a7a750418191f43c6ed27c_128.jpg

The jewelry idea has already been covered.

I have bought these things over the years:

lenox.com/cat/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod&pid=8624&cm_mmc=Unreal--ComparisonShoppingEngine--froogle-pi-_-generic&utm_source=froogle-pi&utm_medium=pi&utm_campaign=plp&utm_date=s&utm_content=097103

abbeypress.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_32559K

This is a miraculous medal that is a rose on the outside -- so beautiful foir a young girl!

http://www.discountcatholicstore.com/images/heart2_small.jpg

And books are always good, I bought these for my daughter and son:

search.barnesandnoble.com/Today-I-Made-My-First-Communion/Dianne-Ahern/e/9780967943725

search.barnesandnoble.com/Saint-Francis-and-the-Wolf/Jane-Langton/e/9781567923209/?itm=5&USRI=st+francis+and+the+wolf

I know this sounds preposterous to many here, but how about something she will actually use?

Jewelry - maybe. That's a toss-up. But if she's active a lot, she probably won't wear it much. And it needs to be jewelry that a 7-8 year old would want to wear.

Religious cards, ornaments, trinkets, figurines... (and boxes to put them in...). Forgo all this stuff. Someone else will give her that kind of stuff, and it will get put in a box and hidden, again, rarely used. Maybe Mom will appreciate the gift, but daughter won't have room for it. A sentimental card would work better, and it can't be re-gifted.

Books she likes to read, or movies she likes to watch? Maybe. If it just HAS to be religious-themed, try the Chronicles of Narnia. Or a good Catholic Youth Bible or "Catholic Faith Handbook for Youth" or teen catechism. It's OK if it's not age appropriate just yet - make her want to grow into it.

Musical instrument supplies? If she plays. Maybe she would be interested in working with church musicians to help out.

Dinner and day trip to a religious site, like a local grotto, shrine, or cathedral? You'd be actually giving her attention and an experience. You can take photos to remember it.

[quote="ChemicalBean, post:7, topic:232668"]
Books she likes to read, or movies she likes to watch? Maybe. If it just HAS to be religious-themed, try the Chronicles of Narnia.

[/quote]

That's what I gave my little cousin. Barnes and Noble sells the complete series (with the illustrations) in a nice, blue, faux leather book...for just 20 bucks.

Great suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming!

I love the Sacrament box! She's getting a rosary from her Godmother. I'm leaning toward books and necklace/bracelet set.

I’ve given those sacrament boxes many times – everyone loves them… It’s nice to have a place to put all those little remembrances… the bib or booties baby wore along with the baptismal candle & garment (I also pit the greeting cards she was given, she likes to look at them!), my daughters little white gloves from her First Communion, with the “chalice” she made at school, the the program from the prayer service for her First Reconciliation… So much prettier than a shoebox or putting it in a drawer…

I’m glad you like it!

Hi, I bought 3 very small pearl and gold rosary bracelets in Italy for just this purpose. The cross is gold and they are very pretty and so dainty. I think a little girl would love to wear one.

However, my mother bought me a real crystal rosary when I made my first communion and I have cherished ever since.

My dd is receiving her FHC this year too. I'm giving her a Bible and this necklace: catholicchild.com/CRUCIFIX-HEART-PENDANT/productinfo/14259/

The Bible may be a bit premature - but I want her to have one that is special and that has a caption commemorating a special event. If I wait until confirmation, it will be too long - I want her to have one sooner than that. My grandparents gave me a Bible for my FHC, and I still have it.

Rosaries, medals etc. are also nice. Also a Magnifikid subscription is a pretty neat gift.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.