Need food advice QUICK!

Hope someone’s on here that can help me…

I just sliced some tomatoes for supper and noticed that the seeds are sprouting! That’s never happened to me before:confused:. Are they safe to eat? I know some foods that get “poisonous” once they start to sprout so I hope someone here knows!

malia

If in doubt don’t eat it - instead plant it :wink: Then you can have many tomatoes.

Catholig

A good plan but one that won’t help with the burgers that just came off the grill

I’ve got a sack of Idaho spuds in the basement pantry that are about to start a new farm! Buds sprouting everywhere. Total candidates for a steak-fry session with buddies olive-oil & Salt/Pepper… cut off the “bad” parts and eat.

Slice out the seed pods (like you’d do with a canteloupe), rinse it off and enjoy! Have a salt shaker nearby & eat like an apple.

As long as there’s no mold or squishy soft “meat/dents” under the skin just chow down!.. there’s nothing wrong with them.

**I just used my favorite rule…

when in doubt, feed it to the dog

Thanks anyways! (I used salsa on the burgers instead)

Malia**

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Amazingly resilient little creatures, some of them, aren’t they?

I did not know you could grow tomatoes in Canada.:blushing: :doh2:

It only snows here for six to eight months of the year. The rest is growing season. :slight_smile: (How do you think people survived here before the invention of the airplane? :shrug: )

Please don’t run a “I Killed My Dog with Bad Tomatos” post tomorrow! :stuck_out_tongue:

Granted, our Canine friends have digestive tracts that’d knock a buzzard off a carcass, but there is something to be learned. They eat/digest stuff that tastes good, but “isn’t quite right”.

BTW, some thick (3/8"+) slices of a meaty beefsteak tomato, liberally sprinkled with some s&p and seared/grilled for about 45 sec’s a side are a wonderful apertif!

Salsa works… good punt in a 4th down situation!

A little insite. I’m an “outdoorsman”, Scouter, whatever. I’ve eagerly chowed down on stuff that’d make a metro-sexual puke, or a billy goat gag… hungry is hungry!

As long as you are clean, the prep area is clean, the food in question is either fresh/alive, frozen, or above 35deg. F. you’re OK. Cut off the bad parts and serve.

Blue Cheese is moldy cheese with a fancy name…Roquefort.
Cheddar is just as good, just cut off the science project & eat!

The critical thing in food prep is “Cross-Contamination”.
You can dice/slice/chop all the meat you want on the board, but just don’t prep the salad right after! Raw meat… to raw vegetables

Meat will get cooked - killing off the bugs. The salad you mixed on the cutting board won’t.

Not that I dont love you guys, but I dont usually think about it too much.:o

I figured potatoes kept you all alive. :o And not the Vodka variety either.

Where were you I was looking for you earlier! I had a thread in the non cath sec and had to PM a poster from family life to help me out. She even asked me why I PMed her.:o She handled it for me though. Wheew. It was my atheist thread. Geeze. I like food talk better.:thumbsup:

I figured potatoes kept you all alive.

That was the other northerners on the other side of the big lake…

:stuck_out_tongue:

We prefer beer, and rye whiskey. :smiley:

Where were you I was looking for you earlier!

In a business meeting. (I do occasionally get work done, now and again. :stuck_out_tongue: )

I had a thread in the non cath sec and had to PM a poster from family life to help me out. She even asked me why I PMed her.:o She handled it for me though. Wheew. It was my atheist thread. Geeze. I like food talk better.:thumbsup:

Me, too!! :slight_smile:

LOL

Beer and rye whiskey from a rotten tomato thread! I like it!:wink:

Wow, Jay2 have you been on one of those survival shows? You sound like you could do it.

Jmcrae, hope the meeting went well!

OP, sorry I butted in, I will pray your dog does not get sick!:slight_smile:

Wow, Jay2 have you been on one of those survival shows? You sound like you could do it.

Nope… just surviving the last 4 years of Boy Scouts that have newbies pull cook duty on camporees.(makes for some “interesting” meals :rolleyes: ).
Or:
My own ineptitude in meal planning on a serious outing running out of “pack” food 3 days early!
but nature provides if you take her que’s. (There’s no motivator as strong as your belly when you’re trying to catch supper) There’s fish, rabbit, squirrel, all for the taking… if you’re patient.

Our current media & TV/news have anethsitized everyone into a germ-free world. There’s “Purel” dispensers right alongside the darn paper towels! The trash can is next to the door, so you can grab the doorhandle with your “clean” towel, exit and drop the towel in the wastebin.

We are dumbing ourselves down into a lower species.

You should post on the longest conversation thread I am on. I think everyone will like your imput!:slight_smile:

But, maybe not the expecting women…:eek:

Food issues are different at that time.

It’s so funny how a person can start a thread asking a simple question about tomatoes, and it starts it’s own little tangent about so many other little things!:rotfl:

I think you did the right thing, Malia. I, saver of all questionable foods, really think you did the right thing. I recall tomato vines ARE in fact poisonous.

I just confirmed it at this site:
chelonia.org/Articles/plantsthatpoison.htm The list appears pretty thorough, and I couldn’t think of a plant I remembered as poisonous that wasn’t on it. I took an entire college course on it, too.

:thumbsup: Good call! I think pups will be OK, though. It will probably take a lot more than sprouts to kill the dog.

Since someone mentioned sprouting potatoes, I’ll say they’re on the list, too, as “fatal.” They are relatives of the tomato, I believe. The green parts of the potato contain cyanide, just usually not enough to have an effect. I ate many a green potato before I knew this, and I’m fine (just not normal:p ) It’s smart to get rid of any green part of the potato before preparing it, though. The rest of the potato should be fine.

I have had green potatoes many times! And never washed the knife from it when cutting the butter to make mashed!!!:eek:
My child’s favorite is mashed!!!:eek:

Why did I do it? Oh Lord forgive me I could have killed my baby!:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.