Need Guidance on Moral Issue (Plz Help)

Hello, I recently got an offer to work for a hospice as an encoder and driver, but I can’t help shake out the feeling that this isn’t the right thing to do. I’m worried that being part of this business, even though I’m not being called to be involved with the clinical aspect of it, is wrong, because I’m still helping to keep the business running. What do you guys think I should do?

I don’t understand what the issue is.

I’m sorry, what’s the moral issue here?

What’s wrong with working for a hospice?

What business? I thought that hospice was non-profit.

Hospices generally care for people in their last period of illness, when doctors can do no more. There ought to be no moral problem involved, as the patients die naturally, of an illness or of old age.

OP’s profile says he is from California, a right-to-die state. So perhaps he is worried about enabling physician assisted suicide?

Just trying to guess here.

If that is the case, I would look up the differences between remote and material cooperation with evil. This post by Fr. Charles Grondin can help you get started.

Life is full of stepping stones , this is just another, each stepping stone is a journey in which we learn , and strengthen our character, strengthen our faith, a chance to prove your ability to others and to yourself ,

Hospice is not the same a euthanasia. Hospice does not do anything to bring about a person’s death as opposed to euthanasia which does. For those patient’s who have a terminal illness Hospice is a much needed service. The focus of Hospice is to provide comfort and dignity to the dying patient.

I work at Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte on the weekends and have had the opportunity to work on the Hospice unit on several occasions. What struck me was the beautiful ministry of the Hospice staff. They make a huge difference for both the patient as well as for the patient’s family.

A corporation is business. A non-profit is a corporation exempt from taxes under section 501c3 of the IRS code.

Most hospices are for profit businesses. It is a Medicare reimbursed type of care. Most non-profit hospices run the same as the for profit as they are reimbursed the same and have to compete for the same pool of qualified staff. (It doesn’t stop them from trying to use the status to have employees work for less though;)).

As for the OP, if the hospice takes part in euthanasia / assisted suicide, I would probably pass on the job. BTW- seems a bit strange to have a coder also be a driver. They tend to be differing skill sets.

Pax

You’re right, that’s what I was worried about. Sorry I didn’t really make it clear what my intention was :p, but yeah I’ll try to look into that link you’ve provided some more.

Well my family has worked in the healthcare industry for some time, and I’ve heard stories at hospices where others would repeatedly, sometimes in excess, use morphine on patients in order to speed up their death, but quite honestly, I’ve read this particular hospice’s mission statement and it sounded very life-affirming and they have a holistic approach to patients, I’m not so sure if it’s like that all the time though, but I guess nothing’s really perfect.

Yeah, I know right? But can’t really argue with the bossman, so yeah. But anyways, could you possibly give more content as to why I should just pass on the job, especially in light of the post that Alex H. provided? I’m kind of struggling with that, and I’m just looking for more affirmation as to what decision is the right one. On one side, I’m not really directly involved with those type of clinical decisions, but on the other hand I am still part of the hospice business, non-profit, whatever it is, that keeps it running.

I guess, if the job is driving there are many other places you can get a job driving in which you wouldn’t to ask the question whether there was a moral issue.

Secondly, Obamacare has “care rationing” built into it, so as things progress reducing or eliminating care will become part of the equation.

If we follow the path of the rest of the world, limits will lead to a practice called “terminal sedation” where they put someone in a coma and let them die.That will lead to “expediting” the process to save having to pay the nursing home for someone “who will be dying anyway in a couple weeks”. That’s active Euthanasia.

So if you take your question down the road a couple of years, I guess you would need to ask yourself which of those areas is “your line” which you won’t cross? My line of thought is, why take a job where you think you might have to draw that line in the first place? That’s all.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it, just that there are other options. School bus, senior living facilities, tour bus, dump truck, cargo van, Uber. All choices where you could probably make as much and not worry about future moral considerations.

Good luck!

Take the job. At this time, you have nothing more than a vague concern about something that might happen. If you are concerned about the conduct of the hospice, keep an eye out for a better job.

OP if you are having such doubts , turn the job down. You are never going to be at peace there.

Good Luck and thank you for your integrity

That’s a valid point. Certainly - if the job is a source of unhappiness (which only the OP can judge), then I agree - give it a miss. Or, if in desperate need of work, take it in the short term but look to move on at the earliest opportunity. Regardless, there does not appear to be anything immoral in taking the job.

I realised we had written exactly opposite ideas. ;)… Not sure re the morality and I tend to trust that inner instinct in these things. Quiet inner voice time.

Rare for people to think this too so I applaud it mightily…

If (and you probably want to check this) this particular hospice bucks the trends of the culture of death, they need all the good help they can get, no? They certainly shouldn’t be tarred with the same brush if they are trying to avoid murdering their patients!

If you want to stay in the medical field, you might want to consider moving from CA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.