Need help defending Mary

Hello to all. I was writing on my blog about what Fr. Corapi says, “Pray the rosary, every day.”

My brother who has left the Catholic Church has put forth some questions and I have answered most of them. The one I struggle with is, “Why pray to Mary when we can pray to Jesus?”

If anyone wants to look at the tract he posted on his blog and where the discussion is, it’s at piscotikus.com/andy/index.php?itemid=52

Thanks and God Bless!!!

why ask anyone to pray for us?

and if we are gonna ask someone else to pray for us, why not
the Mother of God ??

we know she has influence on Christ… (( wedding feast at
Cana, for example )) …

:slight_smile:

Posted my reply on your brother’s blog…

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=johnshelby]why ask anyone to pray for us?

and if we are gonna ask someone else to pray for us, why not
the Mother of God ??

we know she has influence on Christ… (( wedding feast at
Cana, for example )) …

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

LOL, this was the first thing that came to my mind as well. :yup:

1. Jesus Christ is the one, true Mediator! But you are not a little mistaken if you think God doesn’t use various ways to bring us to Jesus. He gave us the BIBLE. He uses ANGELS. He comissioned twelve APOSTLES. Churches are full of people who encourage each other to live the faith as a COMMUNITY. So if we can go to Jesus through prayer, reading scripture, through other Christians, etc., why can’t we go through Mary?!

2. Jesus wants us to go through Mary. Son, behold thy Mother! That’s a good enough reason for me.

3. Mary is perfect person to help us be faithful Christians, devoted to Christ. She never points to herself. When we whisper “Mary,” she shouts back, “Jesus!” “Do whatever he tells you” she said to us, recorded in the Gospel of John.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.