Need help explaining the Blessed Virgin Mary to non-Catholics

How would you address these false beliefs concerning the Blessed Virgin Mary?

im surprised you cant refute them yourself, standard arguements, its boring replying to them, send them these links and ask them to refute those rather than attacking Mary, they will never accept your side of the arguement, so just give them some undeniable proof that catholicism is the one true church.

visionsofjesuschrist.com/miraculous_images.htm

dsanford.com/miraclehost/hostvideo.wmv

catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p5.asp

zeitun-eg.org/zeitun_en.rm

catholicism.org/pages/aubrey.htm

You waste a lot of time with Dr Doom, Knight. He’s just another knowitall a-C…find a better place to hang out.
Pax tecum, :slight_smile:

Magicsilence, thanks for the links.

Church Militant, just don’t like false statements about the Catholic faith left unanswered.

Mary has no power within herself to save souls. She certainly may and does pray for lost souls in heaven, but the power to grant grace and save souls is solely a gift from God. By God, I mean the persons of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Father showed us his grace by sending his Son. The Son died for sinners and the Holy Spirit makes us alive unto grace and gives us strength to overcome sin. :slight_smile:

Here is one of the best articles I found about Mary, check it out:

cin.org/users/james/files/key2mary.htm

Jesus said, “Behold your mother.” (John 19:27)
Jesus said, “Honor your … mother.” (Matthew 19:19)

The artistic depictions in the link are of Mary, whom Jesus revealed in Revelation 12:1 as “a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.”

Sir Knight,

See here:
**Doctrines about Mary are Biblical **- View

[quote=Sir Knight]Magicsilence
[/quote]

, thanks for the links.

Church Militant, just don’t like false statements about the Catholic faith left unanswered.
I agree 110% my friend. I really do, but that guy’s just twisting everything and some forums are just not conducive to the truth.

Remember how Jesus said we should just dust off our shoes and walk away? :slight_smile:

[quote=Sir Knight]How would you address these false beliefs concerning the Blessed Virgin Mary?
[/quote]

Why don’t you ask them to Prove that …in their attack against Mary the Mother of Jesus, …they are not animated by the power of the dragon . (Rev.12:13,17)

if you believe Scripture, it indicates that anyone who pursues the woman who gave birth to the boy… is a puppet of the dragon, or the dragon himself.

I trust you can handle it.

gusano

[quote=Sir Knight]How would you address these false beliefs concerning the Blessed Virgin Mary?
[/quote]

By the way Sir Knight…
It is nice of you to attempt to explain The Blessed Virgin Mary to non-catholics…that is a tough job.
Did Jesus send you on this mission ?

I hope your hearers are civilized, and I pray they don’t turn on you like what happened to the sons of Sceva. (Acts 19:16)

gusano

You know, there really isn’t much to say.

Jesus said, “behold your mother”

do we not love Jesus? then can’t we pretend we were the Disciple Whom Jesus Loved, and hear this as if it were Jesus talking to us?

Jesus, on the cross, said to me and all other believers, “Behold, Your Mother.” That means Mary is also Mom, and Jesus is now officially my brother.

Why would they not want to treat Mom with as much respect as Brother? Sure, one was God, but what about the fourth commandment?

Alan

[/quote]

Hi, Sir Knight.

The commentator at the other end of your hyperlink, Doctor Doom, seems so “swaggering” and pompous. All hail, Doctor Doom!

Mary’s role as a special intercessor is carefully laid out in John’s gospel for those who “hath eyes,” so that they can “see.”

In the story of the Marriage Feast at Cana,

(1) Mary intercedes for those who need the benefit of the saving blood of Christ ‘When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine,”’ John 2:3];
(2) And though Christ tells her that God does not need her input ‘(And) Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.”,’ John 2:4],
(3) Mary does an astonishing thing: She proceeds by confidently telling those in need that Jesus will affirmatively respond to her intercession! ‘His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you,”’ John 2:5],
(4) And then Jesus does an even MORE astonishing thing…despite His statement to Mary seconds before that this was all none of her business, JESUS DOES PRECISELY WHAT HE IS ASKED TO DO BY MARY!!! HE PROVIDES THE BENEFIT OF HIS SAVING BLOOD AT MARY’S REQUEST, THOUGH IT IS “NOT HER CONCERN,” AND THOUGH HIS “TIME HAS NOT YET COME”!!! [John 2:6-10.]

Now note carefully that AFTER Jesus calls Mary the Intercessor “Woman” at this point, Jesus calls her “Woman” again from the cross, when He places John inj her care: “Woman, there is your son!” John 19:27. That is Mary’s formal appointment as “intercessor.”

Your swaggering, pompous friend does not have “eyes” that “see,” that’s all. Though he is defying Scripture on Mary, God still loves him.

[quote=BibleReader]Hi, Sir Knight.

The commentator at the other end of your hyperlink, Doctor Doom, seems so “swaggering” and pompous. All hail, Doctor Doom!

Mary’s role as a special intercessor is carefully laid out in John’s gospel for those who “hath eyes,” so that they can “see.”

In the story of the Marriage Feast at Cana,

(1) Mary intercedes for those who need the benefit of the saving blood of Christ ‘When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine,”’ John 2:3];
(2) And though Christ tells her that God does not need her input ‘(And) Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.”,’ John 2:4],
(3) Mary does an astonishing thing: She proceeds by confidently telling those in need that Jesus will affirmatively respond to her intercession! ‘His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you,”’ John 2:5],
(4) And then Jesus does an even MORE astonishing thing…despite His statement to Mary seconds before that this was all none of her business, JESUS DOES PRECISELY WHAT HE IS ASKED TO DO BY MARY!!! HE PROVIDES THE BENEFIT OF HIS SAVING BLOOD AT MARY’S REQUEST, THOUGH IT IS “NOT HER CONCERN,” AND THOUGH HIS “TIME HAS NOT YET COME”!!! [John 2:6-10.]

Now note carefully that AFTER Jesus calls Mary the Intercessor “Woman” at this point, Jesus calls her “Woman” again from the cross, when He places John inj her care: “Woman, there is your son!” John 19:27. That is Mary’s formal appointment as “intercessor.”

Your swaggering, pompous friend does not have “eyes” that “see,” that’s all. Though he is defying Scripture on Mary, God still loves him.
[/quote]

I love it !!!
:smiley:
gusano

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.