Need help finding a letter from one of the early church fathers

Back when I was an agnostic in graduate school, long before I converted to the Catholic faith, I visited the office of a Lutheran minister who was a campus chaplain. He saw that I was interested in his library and said I could borrow a book or two. I borrowed a book on the writings of the early church fathers.

One letter, I believe to the church in Antioch, said something to the effect that (allow me to use quotation marks even though this is from a very old memory) “When they call you Christian, you run and hide, but from now on, don’t run and hide, but instead wear the name proudly because the name is a good one because Jesus really was the anointed one, etc., etc.” (This is very garbled. I read the book 26 years ago and didn’t try to memorize this passage.)

Well I returned the book, but now I wish I knew the name of the letter writer, or information about the book or something, but if I wrote them down, I’ve lost them. I always thought it would be easy to find the letter again, but it has proved impossible.

In my search, I found out that the Lutheran minister moved to California shortly after I talked to him and died just a few years after that. It was too late to ask for his help. I have also looked in dozens of books with similar titles but with no luck. Some writings are similar, but none contained the appeal to wear the name proudly that I remember.

Can anybody help me find the letter? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

The ECF might help. :thumbsup:

Diddi - sounds like Ignatius of Antioch, I would start with his seven letters written to the various churches as he was on his way to the be executed in Rome

[quote=Church Militant]The ECF might help. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

[quote=But for Grace]Diddi - sounds like Ignatius of Antioch, I would start with his seven letters written to the various churches as he was on his way to the be executed in Rome
[/quote]

Thanks for the link Michael. Great resource. I came yesterday evening and started reading the letters of Ignatius of Antioch on ling. Thank you both for your help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.