Need help getting the head nod and bows right

Help me out here people. I’ve been attending mass at an orthodox parish, which often includes lots of latin and TLM gestures into its Novus Ordo mass.

I’ve noticed all to often that everyone will nod their heads in unison at certain times, and most often I associate this with any time the name Jesus Christ is mentioned.

When saying the “Glory Be” in Latin, we bow down through the first half, “Gloria Patri, et filio, et spiritui sancto”, before rising and completing it.

But, there are other times that I pick up a head nod or bow and I can’t put my finger on it.

Clues please?

This has become a fad at my parish too.

I am honestly convinced that very few know why they are doing it, or whether they are supposed to (since we never did before) - I think it’s a big game of follow-the-leader (whoever the leader is/was). You can tell that people are paying more attention to “when to bow” or “when to nod” than to what they are praying. So far I’ve had nothing to do with it - I consider it all to be on a par with the dreaded “hand-holding” and other unofficial gestures. If it’s not in the missal, then we are not to do it. Period.

[quote=rcn]This has become a fad at my parish too.

I am honestly convinced that very few know why they are doing it, or whether they are supposed to (since we never did before) - I think it’s a big game of follow-the-leader (whoever the leader is/was). You can tell that people are paying more attention to “when to bow” or “when to nod” than to what they are praying. So far I’ve had nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

Huh?

I was taught long ago to bow my head when the name Jesus Christ is uttered.
It’s not a fad.

[quote=netmilsmom]Huh?

I was taught long ago to bow my head when the name Jesus Christ is uttered.
It’s not a fad.
[/quote]

You can “Huh” all you want, but unless it’s in the missal, it’s not to be done.

[quote=Lux_et_veritas]Help me out here people. I’ve been attending mass at an orthodox parish, which often includes lots of latin and TLM gestures into its Novus Ordo mass.

[/quote]

At Cyrils, we cross ourselves for the Glory Be, bow at the right time in the Creed and strike our breast once for “though my own fault”.

I’m trying to think if there is anything else.
Our welcoming committee is putting together a guide. If we get it together, would you like it?

[quote=rcn]You can “Huh” all you want, but unless it’s in the missal, it’s not to be done.
[/quote]

I’m so sorry but could you please give me a reference on this???

[quote=rcn]You can “Huh” all you want, but unless it’s in the missal, it’s not to be done.
[/quote]

I think you may be mistaken…

The General Instruction also draws attention to the bowing of the head at certain times during the Mass. “An inclination of the head should be made when the three Divine Persons are named, at the name of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of the Saint in whose honor the Mass is celebrated” (GIRM 275)."

“Inclination of the head” does not mean a race to see who can double over at the waist, as far in advance of the proper moment as possible. This is what’s going on in my parish, and it looks absurd.

[quote=rcn]“Inclination of the head” does not mean a race to see who can double over at the waist, as far in advance of the proper moment as possible. This is what’s going on in my parish, and it looks absurd.
[/quote]

Ah! I see.
No we weren’t taught that. Just a bow of the head.

Do you sing/say the Gloria and Credo in Latin at your church?

At my TLM parish, we bow our heads during certains parts of the Gloria. These are when saying: Adoramus te, Gratias agimus tibi, Jesu Christe, and Suscipe deprecationem.

During the Credo, we bow our head at Jesum Christum and simul adoratur.

I’m thinking these may be the “additional” bows you have noticed, since we also bow during the first part of “Gloria patri …” at the Asperges. This, however, is more of a bow from the waist, while the bows during the Gloria and Credo are simply head bows.

[quote=Lux_et_veritas]Help me out here people. I’ve been attending mass at an orthodox parish, which often includes lots of latin and TLM gestures into its Novus Ordo mass.

I’ve noticed all to often that everyone will nod their heads in unison at certain times, and most often I associate this with any time the name Jesus Christ is mentioned.

When saying the “Glory Be” in Latin, we bow down through the first half, “Gloria Patri, et filio, et spiritui sancto”, before rising and completing it.

But, there are other times that I pick up a head nod or bow and I can’t put my finger on it.

Clues please?
[/quote]

What the heck is a “TLM gesture?” Is it something unique to the Tridentine Mass?!?

If it is, why would you be trying to introduce them into the Pauline Mass? Wouldn’t that be an unauthroized addition to the Mass?

[quote=netmilsmom]At Cyrils, we cross ourselves for the Glory Be, bow at the right time in the Creed and strike our breast once for “though my own fault”.

I’m trying to think if there is anything else.
Our welcoming committee is putting together a guide. If we get it together, would you like it?
[/quote]

How are adding these gestures different than adding the orans position or hand-holding?

I was always taught to bow my head at the name of Jesus. Our Bishop does this too I noticed.

[quote=Pariah Pirana]How are adding these gestures different than adding the orans position or hand-holding?
[/quote]

I’m in a Slovak parish, they are okayed by the Slovak Bishop so I might be mistaken by stating them for our diocese.

I know that striking the breast is a holdover from the Ordo Missae. Neither Orans for the laity nor Hand holding is in it.

[quote=netmilsmom]I’m in a Slovak parish, they are okayed by the Slovak Bishop so I might be mistaken by stating them for our diocese.

I know that striking the breast is a holdover from the Ordo Missae. Neither Orans for the laity nor Hand holding is in it.
[/quote]

And how is that different than a bishops who promotes the orans and/or hand-holding for the laity? Are you a Latin Rite Catholic? Because if you are, the “nationality” of your parish means nothing in this context.

By the way, the Tridentine Mass specifies* three* strikes of the breast. Is one strike specified for the normative Pauline Mass?

[quote=Pariah Pirana]And how is that different than a bishops who promotes the orans and/or hand-holding for the laity?

The Tridentine Mass specifies* three* strikes of the breast. Is one strike specified for the normative Pauline Mass?
[/quote]

This is not an innovation, it’s a hold over.
I’m sorry, are you stating that nothing was held over from the TLM?
The priest was to strike the breast three times and the laity one in reading the Ordo Missae.

[quote=netmilsmom]This is not an innovation, it’s a hold over.
I’m sorry, are you stating that nothing was held over from the TLM?
The priest was to strike the breast three times and the laity one in reading the Ordo Missae.
[/quote]

So “hold-overs” are OK?

Is that right? No limits to “hold-overs”?

Sounds rather hypocritical…

A person should bow their head at the name of Jesus, Mary, and the saint of the day. So if it’s St. John’s feast, you should bow your head when his name is said. When all three persons of the Trinity are metioned together one should bow the head.

One should make a profound bow at the waist during the creed, at He came down from heaven, and should rise at became man.

hope this helps

matt

[quote=tcraig]Do you sing/say the Gloria and Credo in Latin at your church?

At my TLM parish, we bow our heads during certains parts of the Gloria. These are when saying: Adoramus te, Gratias agimus tibi, Jesu Christe, and Suscipe deprecationem.

During the Credo, we bow our head at Jesum Christum and simul adoratur.

I’m thinking these may be the “additional” bows you have noticed, since we also bow during the first part of “Gloria patri …” at the Asperges. This, however, is more of a bow from the waist, while the bows during the Gloria and Credo are simply head bows.
[/quote]

i think you bow on Gloria when Jesus (or does it include the Trinity?) name was mentioned and CREDO you make a bow at “et incarnatus est…” or the line where Jesus became human being.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]i think you bow on Gloria when Jesus (or does it include the Trinity?) name was mentioned and CREDO you make a bow at “et incarnatus est…” or the line where Jesus became human being.
[/quote]

Yes, you make a profound bow at the waist at the line came down from heaven, and rise at became man.

matt

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.