Need Help! Marriage Proposal Ideas

Hey,

I need some help. I’m 23 and my girlfriend is 22. We’ve been dating for about one and a half years, and I’m going to propose here sometime.

I have an idea, just thought I’d run it by some of you, see if you think its a good idea, or if you could help me spice it up a bit.

She’s a school teacher (1st grade), so I thought I would try to get the kids involved.

What I want to do is to pray a novena with her throughout the school day, once every hour. I’ll start it with a small religious gift on her desk when she gets to school, with the first prayer. Then once an hour I’ll send another gift and prayer till the end of the school day which is 9 hours. I’ll have one of the other teachers pull a kid out of class, give him the gift and send him back in to give it to her.

At the end of the day, I’ll have someone pick her up and bring her to me. I’m thinking I’ll either propose in an perpetual adoration chapel or in a Church in front of the blessed sacrament. But I don’t really know what else to do with the proposal part to spice it up a bit. I’d like to do it in front of the blessed sacrament, because we have built our relationship there, with mass everyday together and many trips to adoration.

By the way, she is teaching at a Catholic school, and I think the novena will be to St. Joseph.

Any other ideas or variations would be nice, or if your a girl, would you even like this kind of proposal???

Thanks and God Bless,

Brady W

[SIGN]HELP ME![/SIGN]

Way back in high school, a teacher’s fiancce came to her class while she was teaching and proposed in front of the students.

I’d suggest your propose outside, then, go in to Adoration together.

While it seems sweet, it just does not seem the right thing to IN the Adoration chapel - this would take the focus off Jesus and onto yourselves.

About the school thing - if you are getting the school students and staff involved, could you maybe get your families there too? Make it a big family and friends celebration.

Your ideas are definitely creative, but just so you know, your gf will know something is up at least 6 hours before you propose. If that is ok with you, great! If not, you might want to do something like the gift and a little note at the beginning of the day asking her to meet you and then just leave her in suspecting a possibility, but not KNOWING you’re gonna propose. Then, when she meets you in the church (depending on your budget) you could have either a musician or talented friend playing her favorite religious hymn (I’m thinking Panis Angelicus, Ave Maria, etc) as soon as she kneels down next to you. She’ll probably look surprised, and that’s when you ask her to marry you. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for the ideas,

I had wondered about if proposing in front of the blessed sacrament would not be respectful to, but then I thought that it would be ok, since it takes three to marry, that way all three of us would be there to give consent ha ha. Maybe thats a bad idea though.

I’m not to concerned if she figures out that i’ll be proposing early on, she already knows its coming sometime, since we’ve talked about it quite a bit, and looked at rings, she knows it will be sometime in the next couple of monthes or so, I’m more just looking for something that will mean a lot to her, and she’ll remember.

P.S. I like the musician idea, I think I’ll work that in. One of her best friends is real good at the piano, and the other has a great voice, that could work out well.

thanks,

Brady

My wife and I must be the most unromantic people in the world.

We met in college, dated a little (she said it was “going out”, but not A DATE). I graduated first, and went into the Army. We actually got back together and broke up at least once in the next couple of years without ever actually seeing each other!

Finally, she came to her senses :rolleyes: and we started visiting at our parents houses (I was stationed in the next state over). We talked about everything, and talked often about marriage and how we were meant for each other. Friends later have agreed that we certainly deserve each other!:smiley:

Anyway, the proposal was a simple, “Do you want to marry me”. After she thought about it for a few days and said yes, we went out together to buy a ring.

We just don’t understand how guys get a ring and make some elaborate proposal, without knowing what the answer will be. And, if you know the answer, why the need for the big to-do? Heck, girls in High School are expecting these big proposal things for Prom initiations.

Marriage is a sacrament. It’s a business deal. It’s a lifelong commitment. I think the decision is very serious and should be unemotional.

I agree with Kevinsgirl, if you want it to be a surprise do only one gift in the morning. You could always do one for the next 8 mornings, I think the novena idea is very nice, BTW. :slight_smile:

Also I am very bias. My DH proposed to me in a church, and then we lite candles by Mary and Joseph. My only word of advice is make sure the church is open :slight_smile: , the 1st door DH tried was locked and that was the 1st thing that made me think something was up he was adamant in finding a way to get into the church. Thankfully a side door was open.

I think you have a great idea, :thumbsup:

I agree with kevinsgirl, and I do think your idea of proposing in front of the Blessed Sacrament is a BEAUTIFUL idea! In fact, that’s how I would love my boyfriend to propose to me. I don’t think it’ll take the focus off of Jesus at all, if you go about it the right way. For me, anyway, having Him right there in front of me would make me MORE likely to thank God for what was happening. A marriage is between a man, a woman, and God, so it would be a great way to start off the preparation by proposing in front of Jesus Himself. :thumbsup:

My caution is not about the couple, but, about the others who are there in Adoration. It would be impossable for the couple to have this big emotional moment without drawing attention to themselves.

Call me a fuddy duddy, and going to Adoration together right after the decision to marry is a wonderful idea.

A surprise romantic proposal can happen and still have the actual discernment of marriage be thurough.

I know of many many very Catholic prayerful couples who prayerfully discerned their vocation with each other, with the guidence of a priest. They took the foccus test before engagement, carefully talking about all the topics. A proposal itself can be a memorable surpise event that happens after a lot of the discernment is done. (In fact preferred, so that there isn’t a lot of monetary investment in a wedding day to have to call if off).

My husband went down on one knee in front of the side chapel where the tabernacle was kept at his Church. I can’t imagine anyone else I would want to have there but Jesus when he asked me to marry him. It was such a perfect and amazing proposal, Hollywood could not have done it any better. :smiley:

Good luck to you!!

My only advice would be to keep it simple. You do not have to jazz up a proposal - that proposal should be the exciting part, not all the other surrounding “stuff”. Trust me - she won’t need anything else but you to remember the day. :slight_smile:

~Liza

right, yeah we’ve been praying about it and discerning it a lot, I think we’ve talked about a lot of the issues: kids, careers, location, kids, financial issues, age, NFP (I’m currently becoming a certified Napro technology Practitioner), so we’ve been discerning ever since we started dating, we knew we were dating for only one reason, and that was to decide if we were supposed to be married or not, so I just want to treat her to as much as a memorable night as possible.

Yes, this is a good point! Maybe not at a scheduled Adoration, then, when other people might be there who just want to pray.

I met my wife on Catholicmatch, we dated for 1.5 years, attended mass and confession weekly, and disucssed every major issue know to man. We also read books on NFP, Theology of the Body, and more.

Yet I still decided to surprise her with a hot air balloon ride and a proposal in the air. I chose the ring for her. Men having been taking “risks” in asking women for their hand in marriage with no guarantees for thousands of years. It isn’t as though this is something new or modern.

Just because people enjoy more traditional "surprise " proposals doesn’t mean they are taking the sacrament any less serious. It simply gave us special memories.

IMO, if anything, today it is too often treated like a business arrangement. “So you wanna get married? Sure. Cool.” Planning the balloon ride was the most fun I have ever had, and something we’ll always cherish.

To the TC, I like your idea, though she will probably be on to you after the first few, as mentioned.

From a girls perspective, this is a great idea for a proposal. God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.