Need help picking a good Douay–Rheims Bible

I don’t know much about the history of the bible and it’s translations(I’m still learning). So I apologize in advance if some of the specifics I’m looking for does not exist.

I never gave much thought to the different bible translations as long as it was a Catholic bible that included the books missing in other modern translations. Recently, I became more picky about the wording and accuracy.

It started when I realized that in Luke 1:28 most modern translations say “favored one” instead of “Full of Grace”. I own the New American version and it says “favored one”.

There seems to be some good Catholic bibles out there, but through my own research I decided that the Douay–Rheims Bible is my bible of choice.

Now I need help picking a good one. Here are some specifics. These specifics aren’t a deal breaker or anything, but I like to know what’s out there so I can make a firm decision.

Good illustrations, pictures, maps, footnotes and other bonuses. The more the better so I can learn better.

I don’t know if this exist, but I would prefer if it had a more modern English translation so it’s easier to understand.

Larger print.

Jesus’ words in red.

I don’t have the money to spend on something expensive.

Haydock might be what I’m looking for, but it’s a little pricey and I’m doing my shopping online so I can’t browse through it(or any other) and I don’t want to regret getting something when something else might be out there that better suits me.

If you can also provide websites or links to where I can buy, that would be extremely helpful.

I truly appreciate any and all help. Thank you so much and may God Bless you all.

I can tell you that the Douay-Rheims is my favourite translation. It’s a faithful translation. The most modern version of it is the Challoner’s edition from the 18th Century. It hasn’t been touched since then (and for good reason).

Baronius Press do large print but Catholic Bibles tend not to have Our Lord’s words in red. That is more of a Protestant invention. However well intentioned such a thing may be, it gives off the idea that Christ’s Words are more important than everything else in the Sacred Text, rather than it all being important.

The Baronius Press version has a few laminated maps, as well as engravings and a family register for births, deaths and the like. At the beginning of the Bible, there are three Papal Encyclicals on the Scriptures which are very edifying to read. There is also a historical and chronological index at the back, that lists Sacred History that you can follow. It also has a commentary by Bishop Richard Challoner.

Incidentally, Baronius Press have sample pages of all their books, so you can try to get a jist of what it would be like. I am not sure about the prices, but it seems to cover most of your needs.

If you think the Baronius is more of what you’re looking for, I could try and send you images of my copy so you could have more of an idea.

Hope this helps. God bless.

Honestly enough, there are very few options available for this Bible. Baronius Press and St. Benedict Press will make up the bulk of your options, while publishers like Loreto provides you with another.

Frankly, there are pros and cons to all of these editions of the Douay-Rheims, and none of them are really would I consider to be a simply knock-out version of Holy Writ. My personal favorite is probably some of those that are (and have been) published by St. Benedict Press, followed by the Baronius editions. In fact, this one is my preferred Douay-Rheims, although I humbly have to state that its price does not adequately reflect this Bible’s quality. (I would pay that price again if I wanted this Bible, but just keep in mind its not some sort of gorgeous, buttery leather.)

Regarding the Haydock: I would only caution you that I find the print very difficult to read due to various factors, and I would encourage you to find some really good pictures of the contents before you spend so much money on that volume. In fact, I would say something similar for the Baronius editions. Although the font is nice, it’s also somewhat light, and its just a bit difficult for me to sit with it for long periods of time. I prefer darker and crisper, as the St. Benedict Press editions are fond of.

Finally, regarding Christ’s words in red: St. Benedict Press does this with their Bibles, but there are portions of the text which should be black but which were erroneously made red. Like you, OP, I’m fond of this tradition, and wish it was more widespread in Catholic publishing.

You ask a lot. To the best of my knowledge, what you seek does not exist. In the US, the Catholic Church oversaw the publication of what is known as the Douay-Confraternity bible from 1941-1969. This is an update of the D-R. It began with a purely Douay Old Testament, and balanced that with the 1941 Confraternity New Testament translation - still one of the best in existence. As the years rolled on, the Old Testament D-R books were replaced with fresh translations made by the US Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. The completed bible was never published under a single cover, the adoption of the mediocre 1970 New American Bible essentially killing it off. A shame.

If you want a beautiful bible with inspiring artwork, photographs, pictorials of the Sacraments and the Latin Mass, I can heartily suggest the 1953 Belmont Abbey “Catholic Action Edition” of which many excellent used copies are available on eBay, for example. Less than $20, up to about $50. It is a large format bible with decently-sized print, but certainly not one particularly convenient to carry. It is a home or “coffee table” sized bible. In it is a painting of our Lord (by German painter Heinrich Hofmann) which I find to be the most beautiful, yet mysteriously haunting depiction of His Holy Countenance. It is entitled simply “the Christus”

As to red print, you may end up carefully highlighting the words of our Lord to achieve the same purpose.

Thank you SanctusMarcus and everyone for your replies. I know I ask for a lot and I already knew I won’t find everything I was asking for.

I decided not to over think it and make it worse with various opinions so I ordered the Haydock. I found it at angeluspress.org for $99.95.

I’m also very fond of the Douay-Rheims & Clementina Vulgata [side-by-side] bible. So I might get that one next.

DanielStDominic enough of? Anyway, the one you recommended I might also get as a stand alone since it includes lots of bonuses. .

Then there’s the RSV-CE I wanted for an easier read with the wording I prefer.

And I still have my NAB.

In the end, I guess I’m turning out to be a collector. It wasn’t my intention, but I’m kind of loving it. :slight_smile:

God bless.

eBay and thrift stores. My favorite bible is a 1949 Douay-Confraternity, leather bound with gilt-edged pages. Apparently unread. A little Lexol on the cover and it is as supple as new. $1.99. You can build a very useful and rather impressive collection with a little patience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.