Need Help - Reader at Mass!

Hi,

I am going to be a reader at mass this Sunday and was wondering if anyone knows where I can go in order to find the readings before Mass, in order for me to pre-read them ready for Mass.

Especially what passages they will be and what English translation so that I may find out how to pronounce certain biblical names.

God Bless

Thank you
Josh

Generally speaking, you can find “today’s readings” on the USCCB website here. For this coming Sunday, the 16th Sun. in Ord. Time, click here. (You can also get to this by following the first link above and navigating dates.)

Sometimes there are options, like a longer and shorter Gospel, but that particular case obviously wouldn’t concern you.

The translation is a modified version of the New American Bible. If you want it in physical form, you may have to buy what’s called a Lectionary through a Catholic outlet, which would likely be expensive. I can’t remember if the Revised Edition of the NAB, which is widely available in bookstores, is exactly the same as the Lectionary or not, but if not it would probably be the closest thing.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was after, however it’s different every day on the site you gave me. Some parishes they have the one set of readings for each week, where as the link you gave me has different ones every day, so if I go to 21/7/2013 will that be the readings for this Sunday Mass coming up?

God Bless

Thank you
Josh

Yep. Or follow the second link above.

Thank you very much, your help has been greatly appreciated.

God Bless

Thanks again
Josh

If you can, it’s probably better to go to the parish in advance as photocopy the page(s) from their Lectionary. There are two reasons for this: firstly, the translation can occasionally vary. Secondly, it gets you familiar with how the text is laid out, where the page breaks are, etc. Finally, it’s also a good idea to arrive early for mass and have a run through so that you can adjust the microphone etc to suit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.